Want to hunt and camp in Alaska.

z987k

WKR
Guys with planes have an unreal advantage here
I wouldn't even live in Alaska if I couldn't have an airplane or maybe 3 or 4 boats for specific access. It's a state twice the size of Texas with less the Road Island's worth of road access. Wheeled vehicles are just not the means of transportation. And I only hunt a handful of days a year, it's not the reason I live here. There's just no access to anything worthwhile without a boat or plane.

OP
I

iHunt20

FNG
I wouldn't even live in Alaska if I couldn't have an airplane or maybe 3 or 4 boats for specific access. It's a state twice the size of Texas with less the Road Island's worth of road access. Wheeled vehicles are just not the means of transportation. And I only hunt a handful of days a year, it's not the reason I live here. There's just no access to anything worthwhile without a boat or plane.
What is the reason you live there and what kinds of things do you like to do?

Etexag

FNG
Don't take a 223. I hog hunt in Texas and that won't take down many wild pigs unless you hit them in the head. Alaskan animals are even more hearty and will kill you, or you will wound one and not be able to find it.

Last edited:

tammons

FNG
Forget the 223. It wont stop a large animal like a moose. Hell, a 223 wont even stop a medium sized hog. Buy whatever your guide recommends. Call and ask ahead of time when you set up your first hunt, since you wont be able to hunt unguided for a year. And shoot it enough to get used to it. Or if you want a do it all big game rifle with some range, get a 300 win mag or 7mm Remington magnum with quality bullets like Barnes or partitions. Or a 30-06 would do or a 280AI with heavy bullets. Or if you want a real stopper, a 375 Ruger. 375 Ruger recoil is tolerable with the right stock.
If you are dead set on an AR, which is not ideal since autos hang up, go for a 458 socom with Barnes bullets, but a bolt action rifle would be better. My preference for large animals is a 9.3x62 Mauser. Add a .22lr for small game. And a S+W 329PD 44 magnum as a backup.

Antares

WKR
Forget the 223. It wont stop a large animal like a moose. Hell, a 223 wont even stop a medium sized hog. Buy whatever your guide recommends. Call and ask ahead of time when you set up your first hunt, since you wont be able to hunt unguided for a year. And shoot it enough to get used to it. Or if you want a do it all big game rifle with some range, get a 300 win mag or 7mm Remington magnum with quality bullets like Barnes or partitions. Or a 30-06 would do or a 280AI with heavy bullets. Or if you want a real stopper, a 375 Ruger. 375 Ruger recoil is tolerable with the right stock.
If you are dead set on an AR, which is not ideal since autos hang up, go for a 458 socom with Barnes bullets, but a bolt action rifle would be better. My preference for large animals is a 9.3x62 Mauser. Add a .22lr for small game. And a S+W 329PD 44 magnum as a backup.

You should read this thread from the beginning (you'll get a chuckle). I don't get the feeling OP is looking for a guided hunt.

tammons

FNG
Yeah, I saw that. But thought I would through it in. One professionally guided hunt should be a requirement along with a year of living there as a prerequisite.

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I saw that. But thought I would through it in. One professionally guided hunt should be a requirement along with a year of living there as a prerequisite.
Totally get the living there a year to acquire residency,but curious on the Whole guided hunt ISSUE? Is that for this OP or ALL NON RES?

tammons

FNG
A guided hunt is not required, but Alaska is such a huge and unforgiving place to hunt, IMO a guided hunt would be hugely benificial to any first timer.

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
At 25k and up it better be WAY MORE than benefical,My damn IQ OR CREDIT SCORE better go up a few points! LOL . I DO understand where you are coming from though. ALOT of people probably take it's remoteness for granted and that for sure is BAD MEDICINE.

Broomd

WKR
After losing my wife to cancer in 1995 (and several of her close friends to that awful disease) I swore to leave Northwest Indiana which I considered to be a cancer cluster, and pursue life in Alaska.
I remarried a couple of years later, and my two kids got an amazing insta-mom who loved and raised them as her very own. I got an amazing woman who agreed to join us in our quest for Alaskan life.
We left the midwest in Sept. 1997 and arrived in Alaska a week later. We stayed another ten years. It was amazing journey. Many hunts, many adventures. It was never easy. I wish we would have had this Rokslide resource, it would have made those early years so much easier!

Our son (35) still lives in Alaska and loves the state, it will be his 25th year there.

We all get one chance at this ride, make it count, fulfill your dreams.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
A guided hunt is not required, but Alaska is such a huge and unforgiving place to hunt, IMO a guided hunt would be hugely benificial to any first timer.

Lol sure would have helped me. I thought I was tough and ready for AK when I got here. I ended up like 20 miles down a river waiting for tides with my raft to get my first moose home. I had the right idea, it was just a lot harder and moose were a lot bigger than I thought. Good adventure to look back on though.

ThunderJack49

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like the bug situation was really under-sold to me when I went to Alaska. July outside of Venetie and 3 weeks of forced camping, with hordes of bugs, 24/7. Never saw a bear or moose but found some caribou sheds and the fishing was stellar. Bug net was my favorite item in my bag.

Anything you learned after your hunt that you would pass on to someone looking to do the same? Doing very similar next year.

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
WOW! how did I miss this thread 2 years go? Still not sure if it was a joke or if the OP was really that serious about being clueless. Just turning him loose in Wyoming or Montana for two weeks would have been interesting
Im assuming the OP tried and perished somewhere in the wilds of Alaska

LightFoot

WKR
I plan on going next summer to camp on blm or other public lands, as well as hit every hunting season I can. Probably stay in Fairbanks when necessary.

I've never been to Alaska and it's always been a dream of mine. I'm from a northern state and am used to cold weather hunting and camping. I want as much out of the experience as possible. A moose is on the bucket list.

I'm trying to understand the laws and areas/lands open to both hunting and camping for as much of the year as possible. I think I'm looking at unit 25. Places like BLM lands that allow dispersed camping for 14+ days at a time, etc to keep a camp in a desired area.

I'm going alone as far as I know. If anybody local to there wants to meet for food and possibly hunting, shooting, or showing me around, that'd be great. Until I meet people there, I have a few questions.

1) are there public areas north of Fairbanks that allow dispersed camping and various hunting opportunities? Also open to other areas. Year round with no seasonal closure would be ideal.

2) what should I know as a nonresident hunter? If it's very restrictive I may look for a small piece of land and become a resident.

3) what kind of equipment regulations am I to know on various public hunting lands?

4) I don't want to pack too much so I want to take one gun for all game. Thinking AR-15 in 223 with 64gr speer gold dots. I can take a lot more ammo with me per lb and it's what I have stacked.. We've seen on this forum that the caliber is perfectly lethal on moose. But I could only then hunt in areas where the caliber is legal.

5) hunting advice? I've only ever hunted whitetail deer and prefer to still hunt. Never hunted moose, caribou, etc so could use some pointers.

6) Can you recommend ideal places? Any do's/don'ts? General advice about the state?

7) It's a lifelong dream. I could probably die satisfied after that. So please don't recommend another state or tell me it's a dumb idea.

Well… did you go? How’d it go?

>>>——JAKE——>

Well… did you go? How’d it go?

>>>——JAKE——>

I’d venture to say no, but he did receive quite a few comments from such an ill conceived idea. I’d also venture to say that we’ll never hear from him on Rokslide again…but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
I hate when these threads end worse than Yellowstone and leave you hanging....
Last seen Feb. of 2022. I'd agree with Troutbum, never to be heard from again lol