Want to jump into a 300 win mag?

Looking to purchase a 300 win mag for mountain hunting not sure how I feel about a super light rifle but currently considering Nosler M48 western rifle weighs about 7.5 lbs, Kimber Mountain ascent or Christensen Arms Ridgeline. My budget is under 2k. Would also appreciate any input on scopes looking at 4-16/20.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
Add a break.
all of those rifles are shooters. Go with what fits you best.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
A Kimber Montana 300wm is on my short list. I could get it sighted in, get a load worked up the. Do most of my practice with my 223 or 308 Montana. I’ve never noticed the recoil while hunting. Be a great all around Alaska rifle.

davsco

WKR
yeah you never notice the recoil while hunting, but it does suck getting battered at the shooting range practicing and getting dope for your rifle. as noted above, def get a brake. i either keep on or throw on elec muffs before taking the shot while hunting.

consider 'just' a tikka t3x lite or variants also. mine in 300wsm got me elk at 200 and 400 yds this past season.

I have a nosler m48 in 300win mag and it’s my favorite rifle to shoot. Love the trigger and it’s just the right weight to shoot without a brake. I like the stock as well. It’s super accurate for me as well and I don’t think it really has that bad of a kick. . I bought a clamp on brake for it but have yet to use it since I bought the brake 3 yrs ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Ridgeline in .300WM shooting 180 accubonds but have used ELDX’s with the same results. As long as I keep the barrel clean, it’s a tack driver. I’m currently looking at the same gun in 6.5PRC

rootacres

WKR
The Ridgeline is a great package. I personally went with the 300 WSM. The ballistics are nearly identical to the 300 WM, the barrel is 2" shorter and the action is a short action. Mine was in that 8.5 lb range with a Vortex LHT and DNZ rings. The 300 WM would be a little heavier than that. Both would be great shooters.

d_worno-1986

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to purchase a 300 win mag for mountain hunting not sure how I feel about a super light rifle but currently considering Nosler M48 western rifle weighs about 7.5 lbs, Kimber Mountain ascent or Christensen Arms Ridgeline. My budget is under 2k. Would also appreciate any input on scopes looking at 4-16/20.
Browning hells canyon speed. I have a leupold vx-5 on mine

83cj-7

WKR
Tikka T3x Roughtech:

You can find them on Gunbroker pretty regularly. They come threaded 5/8-24 with a brake. Only “downside” is the 1:11 twist. My best friends been messing with one for he BIL and is really liking it. If they imported them in 30-06, I would have bought one already.

AZsniper

WKR
I have a Christen mesa in 300wm. I didnt want to pay $1000 for a carbon barrel. It will clover leaf with Barnes 190gr and Berger 185gr Hunter factory ammo. It is an absolute tack driver. I would save the money and get a mesa.

Sled

WKR
2k is my budget for the rifle and 1000-1500 for the optics

I'd start with the purpose for the rifle. You didn't mention the game you're hunting but I'm guessing elk since you want a big 30 cal. Yardage you plan on shooting might help for scope options. Do you have a preferred action? Are you looking at off the shelf, custom or semi custom?

OP
danrobles1987
[mention]Sled [/mention] yes Elk as for range 400yds tops will train farther out but not sure I’d feel comfortable taking something that long. I’m looking to you all more experienced guys with regards to custom vs off the shelf right now I’ve only looked at off shelf. And the scope I’m wanting to look thru is the NF SHV F1 4-16. Think that might serve my purpose.