Want to jump into a 300 win mag?

Sled

WKR
that's a nice scope. i'd suggest looking thru many before making the decision. moa or mrad? are you wanting to stay under a certain weight?

as for the rifle, customs and semi customs are nice but there are plenty of off the shelf rifles that are pretty headache free. do you have a precision requirement? sub moa or sub 1/2 moa? i have plenty of shelf rifles that consistently ring vital sized steel well past your required hunting distance.

is there an action you like currently? bolt throw, smoothness, action length seems planned already.

Sled

WKR
Kimber Montana is an incredible weapon

Kimbers are like some wines...an acquired taste. They do fit smaller frame people better and can be quite accurate in the right hands and sometimes after a little work.

For shelf rifles it's hard to beat the tikka but browning has a few nice rifles. I have guns from most manufacturers except remington. I've even cleared out all my 700 actions because I enjoy the lower bolt lift of tikka, weatherby and others.

OP
danrobles1987
Went to my local Cabelas apparently only place who has 300's in stock saw a tikka really nice definitely on the list also so a Nosler M48 and to be honest it looked beat to crap and was twice the price of the tikka. Did see a Christianson with a carbon fiber barrel but that was in 6.5 CM. Saw a proof research not familiar with them anyone ever use one? @Sled I did get a chance to look thru a NF F1 and Swaro Z6 and I must say the NF was much heavier but clearer to my eyes at least.

Sled

WKR
NF is a good standard for durability and that is reflected in the weight. For a scope you'll be using the turrets on, tracking is very important. NF does well on those tests as do several others. I've been lucky with scopes and only had a few failures and none were during actual hunts.

Check out some of the new meopta scopes before you decide. For lite weight and options the tract toric 1" scopes are nice but the glass is not as bright as other scopes in the same class but not bad either. Still they have their place and one is on the rifle I'm using for this year's cow hunt. Riton might also have something you like. Lots of options out there but if you pick some specs you want it'll help you dial in on the right scope for your use.

Btw, don't overlook the 3-15 power scopes. That low end is great for target acquisition. Higher end powers lose their usefulness with mirage and are debilitating if you have an SFP and need the reticle for drops or ranging.

OP
danrobles1987
NF is a good standard for durability and that is reflected in the weight. For a scope you'll be using the turrets on, tracking is very important. NF does well on those tests as do several others. I've been lucky with scopes and only had a few failures and none were during actual hunts.

Check out some of the new meopta scopes before you decide. For lite weight and options the tract toric 1" scopes are nice but the glass is not as bright as other scopes in the same class but not bad either. Still they have their place and one is on the rifle I'm using for this year's cow hunt. Riton might also have something you like. Lots of options out there but if you pick some specs you want it'll help you dial in on the right scope for your use.

Btw, don't overlook the 3-15 power scopes. That low end is great for target acquisition. Higher end powers lose their usefulness with mirage and are debilitating if you have an SFP and need the reticle for drops or ranging.

I’m looking at scopes with a 3 - 20 range feel as if that will serve me well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
Do not think I have a preference to FFP or SFP.

Well, sounds like you about have it handled but I'd certainly do some reading on FFP/SFP. They have pros and cons that can be starkly different if you are using both to their full potential.

Good luck with your decisions

OP
danrobles1987
Ok so I pulled the trigger and purchased that 300 win mag at Cabelas got a deal on it so cannot complain on the price. I also chose a scope got the NF NXS 5.5-22 MilR scope from @gr8fuldoug who had it on sale. Will order Hawkins rings and get that mounted and spend some time behind the rifle getting use to it. Found a range about an hour away that has targets out 1000yds. Got lucky went looking for a rifle at local pawnshop and they did not have any rifles in stock but did have Hornady 150gr American whitetail in stock at $28 dollars a box. With crazy ammo prices I bought all 9 boxes again want to spend some time getting comfortable with this rifle. Thank you for all the input and @Sled for giving me all the extra info. That is why I like this forum.

Sled

WKR
Ok now one more question for you all Talley rings or Hawkins precision?
i like the new hawkins with the bubble but haven't used them myself. either way i'd run a rail on that setup for the ability to unmount without having to relevel, just check zero.

arios2

FNG
I wouldn't worry about recoil on the rifle, I just built a 20 inch 300win mag with a manners stock and the rifle is 7lbs exactly. once you add a scope and put sound rounds in it the weight will be closer to 10lbs and will be very manageable. I use a silencerco suppressor and the recoil is no more than a 308. If you put a brake on it you won't feel much at all. Only thing I would be careful with is depending on what brake you use it will sound like an explosion lol.

Late to the thread here but stumbled into and if you're still on the hunt, I can say that I love a Kimber Montana, the Nosler M48 and I'm impressed with the Howas but only if you get the HS Precision stock Howa. I really like the Bergara rifles too - particularly the Premier series which has many quality features and components you tend to only see on custom rigs. They lean towards the heavy side at 7.7 lbs for .300 win mag but that's not a terrible thing for magnum calibers. For optics I really like the Leupold VX-5HD lineup. For a bit more, the VX-6HD is a slight leg up and they throw in their nice flip out lens covers. Both with the CDS dial system of course.

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
Fierce makes a nice rifle. I think the Fury is about $1900 with a carbon stock and muzzle brake included.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Since I last posted here I’ve acquired a Kimber mountain ascent 300 win mag. It is a great gun, I’ve worked up a few nice loads for it to cover anything I’d use it for.

Bearfunk

FNG
So far really like my M48 western, a little heavy but good for the recoil and stability on a 7RM for long shots.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
There has been a guy trying to sell a Kimber subalpine 300wm in the classifieds with no luck. If I didn’t already have a mountain ascent 300wm I’d be all over that rifle.