Want to start annealing brass

Want to start annealing brass

I have been reloading for a long time, but I have never annealed my brass. I have a decent amount of fired brass for 223, 30-30, 270 Win, and 7.7x58 Japanese. The 223 brass has been loaded and reloaded several times. I want to start annealing to get more reloading life and hopefully more consistency/accuracy from my loaded ammo. In particular, I have read that 30-30 brass has a very short reloading life (2-3 reloads) unless one anneals.

I think I will get the Annealeez device.

I have gotten close to getting into annealing brass a few times and always hesitate to go ahead and get the annealer. I am afraid of over-annealing the brass and ruining it. I just can’t get past that mental block. Is it actually possible to do this right and not ruin the brass?

Also, I don’t know where I would do this. My reloading room is a room off the den, inside the house. Sort of a den off the den, if that makes sense. Where do you guys do your annealing? Outside? In the garage? In the basement? Would there be any problem with annealing in a room off a den? I’m thinking about would there be a problem with CO2 or other gases from the propane nozzle flame, and are there any dangerous gases released from the brass itself? I assume there are traces of lead that get vaporized when the brass is annealed. Would doing this in a garage be OK? I think if I try to do this outside, particularly in cooler weather it would not really work.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Slugz

WKR
All good questions. Many of the same I had. All your airflow questions have validity also that I think could be solved with good ventilation. Most I know anneal in the reloading shop away from all the important stuff.
If you haven't already, recommend you read through all
https://www.ampannealing.com/articles/ starting at 2017 Part One.

I'm going the induction route next spring.

Get a bottle of tempilaq and have fun with it. I usually set out 5 pieces for running test on for needed time in the flame so I can set the speed. Then I keep really good notes on each brass manufacturer/caliber to help speed up the process the next time. Mines setup in my garage and I've never had a problem with air quality from it

Tullis94

WKR
Eric cortina has a YouTube video on over annealing brass. Give it a watch. I think it will ease your worry a little.

Ucsdryder

WKR
My first time I got them a little hot. I don’t think it’s an issue because they seated great. The next round I held onto them at the base until they were too hot to hold. That seemed like the perfect amount and impossible to over anneal.

peterk123

WKR
I anneal every firing, using a torch, a drill, and a damp rag. The next loads will be firings number 7.
I read somewhere that this can be an effective way to do it. I watched a guy just hold the brass in his hands. The minute it started to get hot to hold it was done. I forgot how many times he was able to fire the same brass, but it was impressive.

Batch

FNG
i use the annealeez machine, it works great. it does take a little time to setup and to change the wheels and torch when switching cartridges. get some templaq if your worried about over annealing but its a pretty easy process.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Please explain the process. What are the drill and the damp rag for?
Youtube diy annealing. Get a drill and a socket just larger than your brass. Spin it in the flame the desired amount of time and drop on cloth and roll back and forth. if you’re like me and unsure about the amount of time required, you can hold it in your fingers and twist back and forth u til it gets too hot to handle then drop on cloth and roll back and forth.

Youtube diy annealing. Get a drill and a socket just larger than your brass. Spin it in the flame the desired amount of time and drop on cloth and roll back and forth. if you’re like me and unsure about the amount of time required, you can hold it in your fingers and twist back and forth u til it gets too hot to handle then drop on cloth and roll back and forth.
Why drop it on the cloth and roll it? I see annealers that just heat and drop the brass, no cooling.

Ucsdryder

WKR
But does cooling it faster offer any advantage?
Well not to be a smart ass but yes if it’s cool then it won’t burn your fingers when you pick it up ! 😂

I don’t think there are any benefits/consequences to the brass to cool quickly or slowly. Lots of guys drop them in water. But then you have to make sure they dry completely and I’m not patient enough for that.

Well not to be a smart ass but yes if it’s cool then it won’t burn your fingers when you pick it up ! 😂

I don’t think there are any benefits/consequences to the brass to cool quickly or slowly. Lots of guys drop them in water. But then you have to make sure they dry completely and I’m not patient enough for that.
Well.......Why would you need to pick it back up right away? Heat it and drop it in something that wont catch fire and on to the next one.

tdot

WKR
I use the Annie Induction Annealer. Repeatable, consistent I'm able anneal at my kitchen counter as that's where I've been reloading the last couple years.

You may toss a couple pieces of brass in the beginning, but so what overall you'll save way more then you'll destroy.

I have been using an Annealeez for quite a while and have been more than happy with it for what it cost. I do all my annealing in my garage and have never had a problem with fumes or gasses. If you are doing large batches you will have to watch the tray you are dropping brass in to make sure it doesn't overflow. Those cases coming out of the flame are really hot and stay that way for a few minutes and will melt stuff if they fall on something. The machine is easy to use and there is almost no need to worry about over annealing. Just watch some videos and read a little and you will get it figured out. You can tell if you are doing a good job annealing when sizing brass and seating bullets.