Wanting some opinions on my layering for my first elk hunt.

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
Im not a back country hunter by any means, 70% whitetail hunter and 30% mule deer hunter in South Dakota. Looking at going on my very first elk hunt this year near Helena Montana. Oct 26- Nov 3. Were not packing in camp so weight is not really a concern. Ive been on a puffy debate for alittle while now and its getting annoying, weather to buy one or not as im on a tight budget already with tag prices and everything else.

Currently have

Kuiu merino 145 top/bottom
Kuiu peloton 200 zip t
Kuiu guide jacket
First lite woodbury
Kuiu guide pant
Kuiu attack pant
Kuiu kenai bottom
Slumber jack rain gear top/bottom

Since we dont need to pack light I was thinking about running my 145 top, 200 top, guide and then using my woodbury as my puffy. Its a heavy jacket but since i already have it might as well make some use out of it. And also wondering if the woodbury is as warm as some of the puffys out there. Its plenty warm up in the treestand bowhunting. Thanks a ton!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Im not a back country hunter by any means, 70% whitetail hunter and 30% mule deer hunter in South Dakota. Looking at going on my very first elk hunt this year near Helena Montana. Oct 26- Nov 3. Were not packing in camp so weight is not really a concern. Ive been on a puffy debate for alittle while now and its getting annoying, weather to buy one or not as im on a tight budget already with tag prices and everything else.

Currently have

Kuiu merino 145 top/bottom
Kuiu peloton 200 zip t
Kuiu guide jacket
First lite woodbury
Kuiu guide pant
Kuiu attack pant
Kuiu kenai bottom
Slumber jack rain gear top/bottom

Since we dont need to pack light I was thinking about running my 145 top, 200 top, guide and then using my woodbury as my puffy. Its a heavy jacket but since i already have it might as well make some use out of it. And also wondering if the woodbury is as warm as some of the puffys out there. Its plenty warm up in the treestand bowhunting. Thanks a ton!

I suspect that you’ll be in the guide pants more than the attack. It’ll also get you into colder temperatures with the kenai.

I would give the edge to a true puffy, but with those layers you should be alright. You might consider finding a down HZ or FZ sweater on clearance somewhere to wear under your woodbury, possibly to replace the peloton 200 as it's going to have a bit more horsepower and provide more wind resistance under your guide jacket.

And as long as you treat the Woodbury like a puffy, you shouldn't have trouble with getting too complacent and tearing it up on brush or deadfall.