Wapiti Recurve

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I am looking at making a trade with someone between bows. Has anyone have experience or own a Wapiti? I'm sure a few do, I am just looking for some info on them as far as shooting quality, average price of one and any other info. Pics are the bow I am looking at. The one I am possibly trading typically sells around +/- $600. Thanks

Attachments

• Wapiti.jpg
    Wapiti.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Wapiti2.jpg
    Wapiti2.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 48

oldgoat

WKR
I shot my first trad archery big game animal with one. They are great bows, only reason I sold it was to try another great bow. Price varies, I would expect to pay around $600 at rmsgear but I wouldn't pay that on the classifieds market unless I had the chance to shoot it and know this is the one. Another big factor on price I've seen, is if it's Fast Flight string material compatible or not. Keith isn't a big fan of Fast Flight and a lot of his bows aren't compatible and I see those going a lot cheaper on the classifieds. I'd offer $400 and see what happens, probably wouldn't go over $500 unless you can shoot it. I also personally hate shooting non Fast Flight strings so that would effect me and I wouldn't buy it if it's not compatible, he puts "FF" on the limbs I think if they are Fast Flight compatible.

Attachments

• da deer.jpg
    da deer.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 26
OP
Ian Ketterman

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
I shot my first trad archery big game animal with one. They are great bows, only reason I sold it was to try another great bow. Price varies, I would expect to pay around $600 at rmsgear but I wouldn't pay that on the classifieds market unless I had the chance to shoot it and know this is the one. Another big factor on price I've seen, is if it's Fast Flight string material compatible or not. Keith isn't a big fan of Fast Flight and a lot of his bows aren't compatible and I see those going a lot cheaper on the classifieds. I'd offer $400 and see what happens, probably wouldn't go over $500 unless you can shoot it. I also personally hate shooting non Fast Flight strings so that would effect me and I wouldn't buy it if it's not compatible, he puts "FF" on the limbs I think if they are Fast Flight compatible.

It has the smaller/thin limb tips so it may not be. I am shooting a Martin Diablo, but I am looking to upgrade to an intermediate bow before I decide if I want to buy a custom one.

sveltri

WKR
I have two wapiti recurves and one longbow, all of them are FF compatible. I really like Keith's bows and he has been great to work with. If you get one you'll definitely want to use a stringer when bracing it. What are the specs on the bow you are looking at?

OP
Ian Ketterman

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
I have two wapiti recurves and one longbow, all of them are FF compatible. I really like Keith's bows and he has been great to work with. If you get one you'll definitely want to use a stringer when bracing it. What are the specs on the bow you are looking at?

It is 54# at 28''. 62'' bow with a 59'' string. Here is a picture of the limb tip.

Attachments

• Wapiti3.jpg
    Wapiti3.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 21

sveltri

WKR
The only way to verify for sure is get the S/N from the seller and contact Keith. The tips look the same as mine, but I don't think shape has anything to do with it. It depends what material was used to reinforce the tips.

OP
Ian Ketterman

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
The only way to verify for sure is get the S/N from the seller and contact Keith. The tips look the same as mine, but I don't think shape has anything to do with it. It depends what material was used to reinforce the tips.

I sent a message earlier. I'll try and call later too and see. I like running a flemish on it, but I don't know if the ones I get are FF or not.

oldgoat

WKR
Do you have the bow in possession right now? I'm like 95% sure he puts an "FF" some place in the writing on the limbs for ones that are Fast Flight compatible. Also rmsgear is closed to the public, but they are in working and filling mail orders to some extent and might answer the phone, not sure though about that. But they know the bows well since Keith is a local bowyer.

OP
Ian Ketterman

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to give them a call when they open later, as well as RMSG. I do not have the bow in hand. I do not know if it being FF compatible or not is an issue to be quite honest. I am going to ask my string maker later what exactly he uses primarily.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Keith was way early in the performance curve for stickbows. They are rugged pieces of engineering, not really pieces of art. Friend of mine hunted all over NA to get his Super Slam with one. Solid choice in a Stickbow.

OP
Ian Ketterman

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
So I chatted with Keith as well as Tom Clum Sr a bit about it earlier and they both had some good to say about it. It was made in March of 2001 and sold in November of 2005. I am making the trade this evening so hopefully I have it in the mail end of this week or beginning of next week. It does not take FF strings, but I can run some B50 from RMS and be just fine.

Thanks guys.

oldgoat

WKR

Saw this and thought it might be same bow at first but don't think it is, but it's priced about like I said, thought you might be interested, don't know the guy so can vouch for anything about this bow or the seller

Ddog

WKR
I had a recurve that I sold like a dummy, smooth as silk and quick and quiet. Finish was meh, but I got it to hunt with, not show off. Heck of a limb design, I think you'll like it!

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you've never shot with a B50 string you're gonna have a learning curve regarding stretch and shot feel. It feels way different than the strings you've been shooting most likely. I just don't like the size of the B50 string bundles and how much it stretches, but it's been around for a long time so it works.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Ian Ketterman

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
If you've never shot with a B50 string you're gonna have a learning curve regarding stretch and shot feel. It feels way different than the strings you've been shooting most likely. I just don't like the size of the B50 string bundles and how much it stretches, but it's been around for a long time so it works.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'd imagine most string makers are pre-stretching before sending, aren't they? I haven't had too much of an issue so far with mine.