Warm Early Season/4th Season Rifle

So with the weather being unseasonably warm for archery and the first 2 rifle seasons, (and after reading some posts on there that the elk are still up high and numbers taken have been fairly low). What do you all think are my chances of taking a 4th season bull!? I know weather can change in an instant, but I'm hoping things are going to start cooling off in the next couple weeks, pushing those elk down to some lower elevations.

elkduds

WKR
Where are you headed, generally? Unless 3rd season is dramatically better than the first 2, there will be more bulls available during 4th this year because they haven't been killed yet.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
PM sent. In a similar situation maybe we can exchange Intel

I'm not sure if it's the same state wide but in the unit we hunt you can't buy 4th season tags over the counter, it lottery only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a 4th season tag and have my fingers crossed. Last year the only elk I found in 4th were already on private, hoping for better luck this year. Good luck!

OP
A
We are heading to the Rio Grande NF. My dad and I drew these tags in the lottery for the unit we are hunting.
Well that's what I'm hoping for Elkduds, since i have been hearing the elk are still high up, sounds like they haven't been pressured enough to really push them to private land and their winter grounds just yet. We have a little more than 2 weeks to go, and I'm more than ready! Hoping the weather starts changing here soon, hunting mid november in 50/60 degree weather is just not something I expected when i moved here.
Good luck to you too Brightwhite! I would like to hear how anyone does this late in the season.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wouldn't say that archery was unseasonably warm, it wasn't as warm as the last several years. But if I was hunting the 3rd or 4th rifle season, I'd prefer it warm and dry........and that the elk were up high. I tried like crazy to get my daughter one of those 1st rifle tags, just because of the weather.

vanish

WKR
A lot can change in 2 weeks. I'm actually expecting to get hit hard with snow in November at some point. Seems like every time we get in a lull about the weather, it comes in harder than ever when it does come.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is what I expect for November.
f45e39b0ec85305ac475e9d9eb7797ac.jpg

Silverado

FNG
The bright side about a warm 4th season is that it's easier to cover some ground to find them vs walking when there is a foot of snow on the ground

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I'm hoping for weather to move in for 3rd season like last year. We will be in Pagosa Springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk