Warm nights sleep in the back country?

I'm planning my first back country archery elk hunt and I'm wanting tips to sleep as comfortable as possible during the 20 to 30 degree nights. I've hunted the area before were we used a base camp and a heater so I know the nights typically gets down around 20 to 30 degrees. I did a test run with with my equipment last night here in southern Illinois and it was a cold uncomfortable night (Temperature mid 20s with high humidity and no wind).

Gear I have/used: Mountain Smith tarp, tyvek ground cloth, big agnes Q-Core SLX pad, Kifaru 20 degree slick bag, sitka light weight base layer, sitka heavy weight hoodie, prana pants, kifaru parka, wool socks and sock hat.

With all that I still wasn't comfortable but I don't want to be packing in a lot of weight in clothing.

Vandy321

WKR
Sell the Kifaru and get a 10 degree WM bag?

7 degrees the other night when I woke up at 3am...warm and toasty all night in a Versalite... Was bored and just sleeping in the yard to test my new bag.

Probably drop some weight over the synthetic bag and it will pack down smaller as well.

Last edited:
I’m not positive on the kifaru slick bags but most bags temp rating is a survival rating and not a comfort rating, so running your 20 degree bag in 20 degree temps is pushing the limits of that bag. Maybe try a zero degree slick bag? If you’re into podcasts Aron from kifaru just did one on sleep systems, lots of good information in that podcast.

wytx

WKR
I would say a colder rated bag and maybe a bivy cover for it.
I like a wool blanket on top of my bag but I don't pack in, bivy might be lighter and add some insulating qualities.

Marble

WKR
There is a podcast Snyder just did that gives tips for sleeping in the back country. Well worth it IMO.

When I plan a trip in the back country, I plan my sleeping arrangements to be more than adequate. I can always open the bag and cool off. If I expect temps in the 20s than I use a 0 degree bag, with a pad that's 4.5. I heat my food, put it in my bag, then sleep in base layer with socks and a thick beanie.

If I have horses, than the blankets go under me. All my extra clothes that are not my pillow are under my pad. Finally my backpack boosts one side and I'll pull it right up to me.

My current light back country bag is a Magna 10.
Been down into the mid 20s and been very comfortable.

tdot

WKR
Everyone sleeps at different temps. I think it pays to think about how you sleep in normal circumstances, then you can start to compare to others experiences a little better. If you are a cold sleeper, a 20 degree bag won’t cut it 35 degree temps. Also listen to that Podcast from Kifaru, that was mentioned earlier. Years of knowledge in 25 minutes.

Some of my coldest nights have been when I was over dressed and was in a sleep system that didnt breathe well enough to dump the moisture. If you had all that kit on, were you sweating? Did you wake up cold & damp?

Last edited:

W1bowo

Lil-Rokslider
I think what you have is fine. I have a 20 degree slick bag and helium bivy. Got into it sweaty at around 25 degrees out and windy the first night of my mule deer trip last year. I froze all night. The next 2 nights I made sure I was dry and put a nalgene full of boiling water in my bags foot box right before I got in it. I was warm all night. That is a quality bag that insulates heat very well. Aron Snyder mentions that hot water bottle technique and so does Rinella in one of his books. Or you could exchange it for a zero degree bag.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
+1
g.png

f.png

renagde

WKR
I had no problem staying warm in 25 degree weather with a 28 degree sleeping bag. I wore my merino base layers and socks and i was toasty. I would say try a warmer sleeping pad. The big agnes is rated for 32 degrees. Try a Thermarest where you actually get a r rating. I use the Thermarest Xtherm that has a r value of 6.9. It'll be warmer and lighter than the Big Agnes pad.

Probably need to look at a colder temp rating bag as others have said. I'm a cold sleeper and generally run a 10 deg bag or quilt no matter the season and just unzip or uncover as needed. Most manufacturers will publish the minimum bag rating (which is what you see prominently featured in-store and online) as well as a comfort rating. You want to pay attention to that comfort rating.

2 other things to think about:
-sleeping under a tarp you don't have the closed walls of a tent to hold in heat. A tent isn't an insulator per se but it does give you a little coccoon effect.
-calorie intake and hydration can make a huge difference in your body's ability to generate and hold heat. On a hunt I will have eaten a huge end of day meal shortly before bed and make sure I'm well hydrated which for me makes a big difference in perceived comfort when sleeping out.

rayporter

WKR
for every time i got cold with a good bag it was the pad, not enough insulation under me.

other tips given help as does a good meal with lots of meat.
the hat is important.

oh and never believe a bags temperature rating. never.. test it and test it again. now -cause you cant tent it in the summer.

if you want to save your bag add a mantle of insulation over it or another bag. a 2 ft by 7 ft piece of insulation velcroed to the top will add many degrees to you bag for little wt.

4ester

WKR
I will second the good pad paired with your bag. Insulated makes a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use my 0 degree down quilt on an Xtherm pad while wearing my merino base layers and a fleece hat.........even in the middle of summer in the high country, and I've never been too warm.

I bought an insert last year (BA McKinnis) and really like it... it's light (1 lb) and can be used as an insert, or as a bag in spring/summer. Used it with my 20 degree bag last fall in single digit temps... slept great (I had hat and layers on too). Not a bad way to add flexibility to your system without adding another $500 bag.

*zap*

WKR
The pad you used is the first weak link to address since BA rates it @32*. I would try a Klymit static v lux insulated pad, very comfortable and a 4.4 r rating..... if you get the 30" wide it is going to keep under you if you move while sleeping. Add a 30" wide piece of refletix and you add approx. another 3 to the r value of your pad system without much weight penalty but some bulk to carry.

Lando

WKR
Start with Renagde's suggestion. I'd upgrade your sleeping pad to a higher r value pad or add a layer of foam on top of it before I worried about your bag. If your pad isn't warm enough, it won't matter how warm of sleeping bag you're in.

As a few above have said, I think the issue is your sleep pad. Get something with a higher R value or put a foam pad (like a Z rest) under your inflatable. Another trick would be a space blanket between your Tyvek and your pad.

rayporter

WKR
plus one on adding a foam pad on top

i carry a quarter inch pad for a sit pad or knee pad for cooking and it does double duty as added insulation on my sleeping pad. a half inch would be better and it dont have to be 6 ft you can cut it down some.

rclouse79

WKR
I started running a lighter sleeping bag with a warmer puffy jacket and sleep in all of my clothes. It seems more versatile because the jacket can keep you warm during the day and at night. I have a Kifaru lost park parka on my gear list for next season. As long as you have a warm puffy you can pretty much get by with the clothes on your back during archery season.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’m not positive on the kifaru slick bags but most bags temp rating is a survival rating and not a comfort rating, so running your 20 degree bag in 20 degree temps is pushing the limits of that bag. Maybe try a zero degree slick bag? If you’re into podcasts Aron from kifaru just did one on sleep systems, lots of good information in that podcast.

Do you, by chance, have a link to the podcast you mentioned? I’d love to listen. Thanks.