Warm nights sleep in the back country?

4ester

WKR
I use my 0 degree down quilt on an Xtherm pad while wearing my merino base layers and a fleece hat.........even in the middle of summer in the high country, and I've never been too warm.

Man you must be a cold sleeper. I run my 0 mummy bag on a S2S pad. In the summer my bag is completely unzipped, and I’m just in my skivies. Everyone is different I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
As others have said everyone sleeps different. I've been fine at 0 degrees in our tipi with a Thermarest Xtherm and an older 20 degree Slick bag. On my legs I usually have a First Lite Aerowool 200 base layer, Aerowool boxers, and Darn Tough full cushion socks. On my top I'll have an Aerowool Wilikin top under a Kuiu Peloton 240. If I get cold I have the Kuiu Kenai or Superdown Pro puffy pants and a Kifaru LPP or Kuiu Superdown Pro jacket I could add but I haven't needed to. I think the most I have done is add a second fleece layer on my legs like a zip off Kuiu bottom and a really warm pair of Thorlo socks. That was truck camping when I had extra clothes along.

I've used the HPG serape as my only sleeping bag and insulation layer on warmer hunts or fishing trips. It can be draped over the sleeping bag for more warmth at night and makes a really nice glassing layer during the day when it's cold. It's a really versatile item because it can be used for whatever is cold, feet, legs, over a sleeping bag, or as a poncho to lock in heat and block wind from the rest of a layering system. It weighs about 40oz though, so it's not light enough for me to pack a lot of the time unless I'm day hunting in really cold weather. It's a pretty good idea to have just for an unplanned overnighter some hunts. It's also a staple for me when hunting whitetail from the ground, during our late rifle season I use it almost every hunt.

I'm looking at trying one of these as a lighter option before heading to AK this fall.

Last edited:

Split toe

WKR
Anything that is WM is going to be true to its temp rating. I have a Terralite and took it down into the mid 20s in mid September during a Colorado archery elk hunt at 10k and was fine.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Man you must be a cold sleeper. I run my 0 mummy bag on a S2S pad. In the summer my bag is completely unzipped, and I’m just in my skivies. Everyone is different I guess

My body just doesn't generate much heat when I'm stationary, but once I get going the furnace is ON full blast.

Aeromoto

FNG
I like the hot water bottle trick in the bag. If it's really cold put 2, one at your feet and one around your upper body. Puffy pants and a jacket will help tremendously, as will a good hat or 2. A bivy over the bag is another option, and it can also double as a ground tarp for glassing or sitting in camp. Maybe a bag liner would help as well.

20 degrees one year or even a couple years doesn’t really mean much at least in the Rockies. Better to look into historical lows imo. If it can be 20, it can be 0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
arrowsender
Thanks everyone for your input. I do get colder quicker than others. I have access to a different thermorest pad to try and will try some of the other suggestions. I just want to get everything dialed in before Elk season so I can just focus on filling the freezer then.

renagde

WKR
Thanks everyone for your input. I do get colder quicker than others. I have access to a different thermorest pad to try and will try some of the other suggestions. I just want to get everything dialed in before Elk season so I can just focus on filling the freezer then.
Now is the time to do it. You won't get cold weather like this until next year. I'm waiting until the temps drop down into the single digits so that I can try out my setup.

CiK01

WKR
There is a podcast Snyder just did that gives tips for sleeping in the back country. Well worth it IMO.

Aron has his stuff dialed in. The podcast was great. Things can go south in a hurry if a person hasn't slept in the backcountry and doesn't plan well for it and know how to eek out every degree of warmth from their system.....like Aron.

To the OP, I would plan for more than you think you need until you get your system dialed in.

OP
arrowsender
I listen to the podcast. I think my biggest to issues were wrong sleeping pad and excess room in the bag. My bag is a regular but I'm slim built and I'm going to try putting my extra layers I'll be taking in the bag instead of wearing them. Then run a higher R value pad with a space blanket under it.