Warmer puffy to pick up where Kelvin Aerolite leaves off

I have the Sitka Kelvin Aerolite puffy that works great for western archery seasons and up through the rut, at least this year, here in Iowa. I'm looking for a warmer puffy for late season temps, let's say 0-30 degrees Fahrenheit. My budget is around the $400 mark +-~$100. I've been looking at the Stone Glacier Grumman and the Skre Ptarmigan but I'm having a hard time telling how those would stack up warmth wise to the Aerolite. I'm looking for a lighter puffy I could backpack with for later season western rifle hunts and also use here in the deep dark cold hole that is Iowa winter (I have a heavier quiter clothes for late season whitetail so noise is not a giant concern).

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Sounds like you need to go to a down filled jacket.. If camo pattern isn't a requirement here are 2 options that are highly affordable. The "cooler" of the 2 jackets has a better down fill. They run a little small in the the fit too.

mwh624

FNG
Eddie bauer peak xv, Rab Infinity or Positron or the Montbell Permafrost would all be non hunting brands 2x-3x as warm as the sitka aerolite.

ShipOH55

FNG
Kifaru LPP is amazing. Well in the price range. Amazing warmth, block wind, pretty light as well.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nunatak makes (sometimes anyways, think it depends on their supply of Apex?) a nice puffy jacket that you can customize- length of sleeves, length of back, extra pockets, fabric, etc. You can also choose the weight of the insulation and even have two different weights for sleeves vs the core.

For colder weather either the 3.6 oz Apex or the 5.0 Apex with 3.6 sleeves, very warm especially for the weight- 12-ish ounces for a size large in 3.6 Apex; the 5.0 would be very, very warm :)

RAPTOR

WKR
I have both the aerolite and the grumman. Grumman is considerably warmer, lighter, more packable. I use both, just like you want to do and they're perfect for me. To get warmer than the grumman I think you're into Chamberlain or Kelvin WS territory. I can layer the Grumman under a stratus jacket for super cold days no problem. It's a great jacket.

Last edited:

Maverick1

WKR
I have the Sitka Kelvin Aerolite puffy that works great for western archery seasons and up through the rut, at least this year, here in Iowa. I'm looking for a warmer puffy for late season temps, let's say 0-30 degrees Fahrenheit. My budget is around the $400 mark +-~$100. I've been looking at the Stone Glacier Grumman and the Skre Ptarmigan but I'm having a hard time telling how those would stack up warmth wise to the Aerolite. I'm looking for a lighter puffy I could backpack with for later season western rifle hunts and also use here in the deep dark cold hole that is Iowa winter (I have a heavier quiter clothes for late season whitetail so noise is not a giant concern).

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thr...hoodie-vs-kuiu-superdown.196129/#post-1898733

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/synthetic-vs-down-insulation.97011/#post-2370553

Note: Kuiu scored dead last in warmth per $.

NB7

WKR
Kelvin Down WS, I think it fits your budget, but whatever I paid for mine I don’t regret it a single bit and would pay more that I did probably
^^^^ agreed. Mine is crazy warm. Not lighter, but definitely a better return on warmth. It's not the most silent, just something to consider if your doing some in tight bowhunting.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
I picked up a Montbell Alpine this year, and it's fantastic. Box baffle, 7.1 oz fill weight, packs small and weighs a pound.
I also picked one up, it’ll be way warmer then the SG Gruman and the Kifaru LPP, both I’ve had or have. For the price I’m impressed. And the Alpine weighs less then the Kifaru and not much more then the SG.

I think the Alpine light would be closer in performance to the SG as it has less fill like the SG.

bluumoon

WKR
I picked up a Rab puffer with 10oz of 800 fill down for this past season (double the hunting brands down), it more than did the job. Right around $300

Bearsears

WKR
The Kelvin Down windstopper is amazing. I finally broke down and bought one last week after being jealous of my buddies the past two years. Its 239.00 at gohunt right now so its a no brainer. Buy one and thank all these guys later lol

I run two Kelvins (one jacket with a hood, one without) for cold hunts so i can layer but prefer the models with PRIMALOFT. The minute you label something "lite" you make it colder. I dumped all my down Sitka & KUIU for this reason...not warm enough. No issues with the PRIMALOFT.

mwh624

FNG
do be aware that synthetic insulation is not as durable as down and will loose some of it's insulation value over time, especially if compressed.

Bearsears

WKR
How packable is that Kelvin down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here is mine in the included stuff sack. Its an XL. Also remember this thing is sized big to accommodate alot of layering in cold temps so for how big it is it packs relatively small.

Attachments

• 20211214_110638.jpg
    20211214_110638.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20211214_110747.jpg
    20211214_110747.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 35