warmest lightest non-mummy sleeping bag

Vernon

FNG
curious about opinions and/or suggestions for lightweight and warm sleeping bags. I'm am not a little guy (5'11, 230) and would prefer something more square foot box than mummy with plenty of shoulder room.. I know with those requirements I won't be in the "Ultralight" category and flirting with not even falling into backpack category but just curious about people's personal experiences.

Freestone

Lil-Rokslider
There are a few mummy bags that come with wider shoulders and larger foot box. The one that I’m familiar with is the Western Mountaineering badger 15F. You can also add a bag expander (made by WM) to the WM bags to make them even wider. That bag weighs around 2.5 lbs and compresses down very well. Get on there website and they have a chart with all the bag sizes, weights, and ratings so you can compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
V

Vernon

FNG
Just looked them up, never heard of them! Pretty awesome. Thank you.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
Contrarian point: have you considered an air pad and a down quilt instead of a bag?

Enlightened Equipment or Mountain Luarel Designs. Even some of their synthetic quilts are almost as light as down and lighter than an equivalent sleeping bag.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
I have an Enlightened Equipment Revelation quilt. I've rigged mine to pull double duty as a traditional quilt and as a hammock underquilt. When used as a standard quilt, there are a few features that help keep you covered at night. There are straps that go around and below the sleeping pad, a cinch cord on both ends, and about 18" of zipper at the footbox that will encase your feet and the bottom of the pad.

I switched to a Klymit Static V insulated pad from an old Thermarest model and the two work very well together.

Bear in mind that the footbox is not the same as a full rectangular bag, but it is roomier than some mummy bags I've owed.

If I've found a downside to the pad/quilt setup, it's that at 6'3" I dont have a lot of pad above the crown of my head and there is no mummy bag-like pocket to keep a pillow captive through the night.

Fishdart,

You could add a couple stick on strips of velcro on the top end of the pad and bottom seam of your pillow. Then you get a bed that is pillow at the top and the rest is pad. Wear a down hood if it's really cold and quilt can stop at your neck.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
Fishdart,

You could add a couple stick on strips of velcro on the top end of the pad and bottom seam of your pillow. Then you get a bed that is pillow at the top and the rest is pad. Wear a down hood if it's really cold and quilt can stop at your neck.
Good idea. I'm trying the outdoor vitals pillows this year so will see how they mate to the pad shape.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
To be clear, the pillow would sit on the ground sheet, not on top of the pad.
Yes I understood how you meant it. The pillow is kidney shaped though, so not sure of the contact patch between its lower edge and that of the top of the klymit pad.

I recently bought a Big Agnes Blackburn 0 degree. It is spacious and warm. I have to admit I haven’t tested its warmth to the full potential, but I did have it out in 20 degree temps last week and it was WAY too hot no matter what I did to ventilate it.

The bottomside of this bag is uninsulated, so you will need to have an insulated pad to keep it warm. It has a pad sleeve for your pad to slide in and stay secure however my giant long wide sea to summit comfort plus does not fit, so I just use it like normal.

I have the long, it is 46 oz. the regular is 42 oz, so pretty light for a 0 degree offering.

worx53

WKR
5-9 275 pounds size 52 jackets- xxl jackets....Ive been using a mummy western mountaineering alpinlite for years....very snug in the shoulders/ torso and wanted more room. bought a terralite 1 lb-14oz. and its roomier for sure- everywhere. ive had marmot, enlightened, north face and they are not the same league as WM.
also one of the best mods ive ever done is to put lines of silicone on both sides of my airpad to stop the slippage going on all the time betwwen these bags and the pad and the pad and tent floors. spent 26 nights in the bag last year and most comfortable ive ever been in 30 years of doing this.

pirogue

WKR
One factor to also consider is the goose down rating. I have an older Marmot Helium bag with 900 count goose down. It is lighter than the same bag(and same temperature rating) as the bag made today, because they now use 850 count goose down.

Surprised no one mentioned Katabatic Gear, very customizable for sizing. Just give them a call, they’ll walk you through sizing it up. Definitely my #1 pick when it comes to quilts.

mort9687

FNG
I have an Enlightened Equipment Revelation quilt. I've rigged mine to pull double duty as a traditional quilt and as a hammock underquilt. When used as a standard quilt, there are a few features that help keep you covered at night. There are straps that go around and below the sleeping pad, a cinch cord on both ends, and about 18" of zipper at the footbox that will encase your feet and the bottom of the pad.

I switched to a Klymit Static V insulated pad from an old Thermarest model and the two work very well together.

Bear in mind that the footbox is not the same as a full rectangular bag, but it is roomier than some mummy bags I've owed.

If I've found a downside to the pad/quilt setup, it's that at 6'3" I dont have a lot of pad above the crown of my head and there is no mummy bag-like pocket to keep a pillow captive through the night.
Take an extra pad strap or some 550 cord, a buff or other tube shaped piece of cloth and put your pillow in it. run the strap around your pad and boom. no more issues. It works for me and i toss alot when i sleep;

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I dig my EE quilt. Got cold And snowed a few nights in the mts las year but stayed warm and comfortable. Not sold on quilts for all occasions but a nice option and very light