Warmest midlayer for stand hunts

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all wondering if you guys could give me some ideas of what I should be looking for for a mid-layer. I am in Minnesota and hunting and temperatures from single digits up to 40 degrees. Ihave some quality pants and base layers I just need something to go in between... Set up right now will get me to about 40 degrees. I'm looking for tops and bottoms

Let me also add that I'm not looking to spend a ton of money. It doesn't need to be camo it doesn't need to be sitka or any name brand...

mikear

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve gone through a couple methods over the years. If you want ultra cheap, I’d get some sweatpants and try them. I was surprised how warm they kept me as a mid layer.

One that I don’t use often (due to having two separate sets of gear for the temps you mentioned) but I really like when the need arises, is the zip fleece military pants. I bought some on eBay last year. They are full side zip so I don’t have to remove my boots. Carry them in my pack until I get up in the stand. The fleece adds a lot of loft and warmth retention in my experience, plus they’re relatively light. Any fleece pants would do, but I like the full side zippers. I think I got mine for $22.50, so keep an eye out for lower prices than the link I provided.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/303319151320

As for tops, I just wear my merino base, grid fleece mid, and select jacket based on temps. ECWCS grid fleece can be had cheap from army surplus or eBay. All the big name brands make a grid fleece as well, so keep an eye out for sales if you want to go that route. Also, a puffy vest would be a good investment if you are using the same jacket at 40° that you’ll use at 0°.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/111630687905

Pack as many layers in as possible to keep them dry and you’ll be warmer for longer.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I like fleece 1-4 zip pullovers and Drake MST jackets and Drake bibs. For really cold, I like a buddy heater. If I’m in a stand and can’t use a heater, I like to take a thermos of coffee. That really helps warm me up and I like coffee. Lol

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
For cheap and warm I like old military surplus wool. Sportsman's Guide used to be a good source, but it's getting tougher to find. The wool sweaters and pants smell like old wool and itch of it contacts your skin. But over a base layer is warm and handles moisture well (like all wool).

If you can spend a little more, a puffy style vest can be a great addition, low bulk and combined with wool should get you into some cold Temps.

For cold, all-day sits I'll wear a down jacket under my outermost layer. Absolute game changer in my book. That and using a neck gaiter have been my two biggest cold weather must-haves.

For really cold I’ll go with a puffy jacket and pants , like Sitka Kelvin. For warmer days I’ll wear a mid/heavy weight layer like the First Lite Kiln/Furnace, or Sitka Core Heavyweight.

Jimss

WKR
An insulated vest sure works great for me! I bought a Sitka Fanatic and love it. A vest can be worn as an outer or as an additional inner layer. The Fanatic has a handwarmer pocket plus large pouch for gear. It also is fleece and has more insulation so warmer and quieter when used as an outer than other vests.

It's obviously good to layer. I start off with a camo base layer top. Cabelas heavier weight micro-fleece shirts wear like iron, are super warm, and dry quick....they also won't break your bank. Next comes my vest, heavier hooded jacket/coat, and a sitka/kuiu rain jacket. It's really nice having a selection to choose different combos depending upon the conditions. It's tough to beat Kuiu or Sitka....I can usually find 1/2 of internet deals....especially on Sitka.

Brendan

WKR
Skin tight under armor - keeps midlayers clean too.

Heavy merino midlayers.

Primaloft pants and puffy.

Windblocking outer layer.

Keep your head, neck and face covered. Windblocking hat. Hand muff with hand warmers, or a jacket like the Sitka Fanatic.

Important : Do NOT layer up until you are in stand. Don't want to sweat. I've been known to change in stand or at the base of the tree and put damp clothes in a bag. You can also put socks on for the hike in, then put feet in trash bags, then into your boots. Cool down, those socks and bags come off, dry socks go on and into dry boots.

Reactions: Cng

rodney482

WKR
My system
Firstlite base
Firstlite Puffy
Kuiu guide

if temps get really cold
Firstlite base
Kuiu super down
Firstlite puffy
Kuiu guide

on the legs
Firstlite base
Kuiu attacks
Kuiu super down pants

if its really cold for my legs I will go with firstlite bibs instead of super down pants.

Pezboat

WKR
When it gets really cold and I don’t want 50 layers, I just wear my Milwaukee heated vest. You can get one for like $100. Turn the battery on and you’re toasty for hours.

I wear an uncompadre jacket as my mid layer with a cheap fleece outer layer to cut the noise down. Any cheap puffy or down will keep you warm with minimal bulk. I have a Sam's club down jacket I got for $20 that is really warm as long as I wear something to block the wind.

I also wear bibs I picked up on Walmart close out after the season once I'm in the stand. They are bulky but they are warm and cost $30 bucks so I don't complain. It's just a PIA sometimes to haul all that gear to the stand some times

palefty

FNG
If you want cheap look at Fleece. The game changers is a neck gater or get a full head cover. I went to a full face cold gear head cover with a heavy full face hat. I can sit all day in single digit or colder temps. Another trick I found works wonders is that I take a couple hot hand warmers that have the adhesive and i put them between my should blades right on the skin.

wildmed

FNG
You can likely find some cheap non-hunting brands on clearance at a place like REI. Otherwise craigslist would be a good place to look too; Minneapolis craigslist will likely have plenty of used but still good condition puffy coats. Especially if you buy it from someone who never used it for hunting, it probably hasn't taken the abuse us hunters put our gear through.

blt348

FNG
Heavyweight merino base
Puffy vest
Mid layer sweatshirt
Outer layer jacket

Layer after reaching your location to avoid sweating...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
A puffy jacket, I wear a Sitka Celsius Middy or I wear a Scentlok Hoody. I like them both. As others have said a neck gaiter really helps keep the heat in.

Shepherd

Lil-Rokslider
For late season tree stand hunting, another option is to get a Heater Body Suit or something similar. You'll be sitting in an envelope of body heat, and can layer underneath. Its very easy and relatively silent when you get a quick shot too. I've used it for years.

The Cabelas Wooltimate jacket works very well for a warm layer - it has the 4Most Windshear layer to cut the wind. It should last your lifetime and is my staple jacket for cold weather hunting - an outer layer for early to mid season and an inside layer for late season.

For the bottoms, I use Cabelas Berber fleece pants with thick longjons. Also heavyweight wool pants works well with the longjons.

Last edited:
Academy Sports Magellan brand is probably the best price to quality ratio. I wouldn’t hike through the mountains in most of it, but it’s perfect for deer stand hunting. I just bought a set of lightweight base layer for $30 and a set of heavyweight base layer for $40 for a ND duck hunt. They were perfect and a fraction of the price of the big names.

I prefer the down puff jackets (Like the Sitka Kelvin) but there are several off-brand versions that offer really good insulation. The down jacket is nice and toasty on the cold days under your outer shell