Warmest tree stand sock

What’s the warmest sock when sitting in the bitter cold in a tree stand??

I just ordered a few common ones to test.

darn tough
Smart wool

is the higher percentage of merino the warmer?

renagde

WKR
👆 what he suggested. I wear a standard Darn Tough wool sock with uninsulated Lowa boots. Key is to put them on as soon as you get settled in your stand, don't wait for the cold to seep in. I haven't had a problem with cold feet since...

OP
F
I just picked up a pair of the artic shield boots blankets couple weeks ago. Can’t wait to try them.

wayoh22

WKR
+1 on Darn Tough but I also think it's worth mentioning that there is no "best sock" and rather the question(s) you should be asking are how to properly regulate heat down there. The warmest sock might be too warm for you as an individual in which will cause your feet to sweat and then it's game over. I've found through trial and error that some gold bond spray before I put my socks on keeps my feet dry since I tend to heat up very quickly. By the time I'm in the stand, my feet are still dry and stay warm.

Have also heard only good things about taking off your boots once in the stand and putting "booties" on.

Agree that socks aren't going to be the difference maker. I use icebreaker boot jackets when pack boots aren't enough (which is below mid 20's for me).

I wear a liner sock and a Darn Tough sock. my feet stay dry and warm. I had been using some cheap Cabelas liner socks for years but this year I am trying out some Fox River liner socks.

Rich M

WKR
I like the Cabelas ultimax socks. Also have plain old heavy wool socks.

You'll find that non sweaty feet will stay warmer - get to the stand a few minutes early, take your boots off and change your socks.

Some folks say that the hand warmer things work good on yer toes. I've used thermacare heat things in cold weather with decent success.

Socks can only get you so far. At some point, you need warmer boots or need to add boot covers.

Wigwam makes some great stationary socks. I have several pair of the Sportsman which seems to be discontinued. They've got a few newer offerings, this '40 below' oughta be super warm.

Just the Sportsman sock alone in a pair of Muck boots keeps my feet warm to ~30 degrees or so. Below that and I'll throw on a liner as well.

renagde

WKR
Socks won't do much. If they're to warm, your feet sweat which make it even worse once you've been sitting for a few hours. I found that when I wear lightweight socks with boots that can breathe, my feet weren't all wet by the time i got to the stand. Throw on the boot blankets and I'm good to go. If it gets brutal cold, like single digits, I'll throw in a hand warmer pouch into my boot blankets. As a added side bonus, it is so much easier hiking in and climbing into your treestand with non insulated hiking boots vs knee high Muck boots.

Another thing you can do, especially if your platform is metal, is put a thick rubber seat pad under your feet to keep the boots from conducting the cold from the metal platform.

bperdue21

Lil-Rokslider
The cabela's wader socks work pretty well for me. I generally wear a pair of thinner socks to walk in, then change them out when I get close to where I am going.

wseidel

WKR
Heater Body Suit...then you won't have to be as concerned about which sock to choose :)

Seriously, any good quality merino sock will provide warmth, wick away moisture and lessen odor.

Last edited:

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
The best sock I've found is Under Armour Hitch 3s. I use the icebreaker boot blankets and they definitely work too.

Lytro

WKR
Warm socks will only work if your feet stay dry. Spray your feet with unscented antiperspirant so they don't sweat, and you'll be good with any decent sock and insulated boot combo.