Warmth? Stocking waders, smart wool and wading bot

I guess in could fill a cooler with ice water and stand in it, but that’s a little bit more harsh than real world AK first half Sept moose hunt.

For everyday use will my feet be okay in a smart wool, some type of neoprene sock (either stand alone, Chota or waders) and then wading boot?

I have a pretty high cold tolerance with exception of feet and lesser extent hands.

OP
P
Next question… any recommendation on a relatively tall dry neoprene wading dock?

I bought some sealskinz and may try them, but I’m not going to trust that as my waderless set up on a 11 day hunt.

Wapiti1

WKR
I think, yes, your feet will be warm enough with a heavy wool sock, then a neoprene with your wading boot.

I did this last fall and it worked well for the days I didn't wear waders. I cut the legs off an old pair of breathables that I had about knee high and used blousing bands to keep them up. They were like the Chota Caney Fork knee high and perfect for keeping my pants dry like gaiters. Kokatat makes a breathable knee high sock as well that would work pretty well, I think.

Jeremy

OP
P
I think, yes, your feet will be warm enough with a heavy wool sock, then a neoprene with your wading boot.

I did this last fall and it worked well for the days I didn't wear waders. I cut the legs off an old pair of breathables that I had about knee high and used blousing bands to keep them up. They were like the Chota Caney Fork knee high and perfect for keeping my pants dry like gaiters. Kokatat makes a breathable knee high sock as well that would work pretty well, I think.

Jeremy
Nice idea on repurposing the old waders.

Im not seeing the Kokatat knee high sock. They have one product that has an integral rubber sole to it. They call it the “Nomad.” I don’t think that would work well inside a properly sized wading boot.

Last edited:
I have done this very set up . Literally only took one pair of boots to AK. (Orvis ultra light wading boots) had 2 pair of sealskins, chotas and chest waders. Less bulk but effectively have 4 pairs of boots this way. With a heavy wool sock and 18 degrees one morning, feet were cold but not unbearably so. Of all of them, the tundra chotas got most use followed by sealskins in boot. Chest waders were noisy but used In rain and for butchering.

OP
P
I have done this very set up . Literally only took one pair of boots to AK. (Orvis ultra light wading boots) had 2 pair of sealskins, chotas and chest waders. Less bulk but effectively have 4 pairs of boots this way. With a heavy wool sock and 18 degrees one morning, feet were cold but not unbearably so. Of all of them, the tundra chotas got most use followed by sealskins in boot. Chest waders were noisy but used In rain and for butchering.

10-4. So I’m not crazy.

Currently in my room is a pair of Simms Flyweifht and G3 boots.

currently on order is a pair of Orvis ultra lights. I love the flyweights But the toebox is Carnero render them less versatile. G3 a bit heavy. I’m hoping Orvis is somewhere in between

10-4. So I’m not crazy.

Currently in my room is a pair of Simms Flyweifht and G3 boots.

currently on order is a pair of Orvis ultra lights. I love the flyweights But the toebox is Carnero render them less versatile. G3 a bit heavy. I’m hoping Orvis is somewhere in between
Yep that’s about right…my buddy has flyweights and he likes the comfort but they are not holding up nearly as well as the ultra lights … especially the mesh webbing on exterior that the flyweights have that frayed rather quickly

OP
P
Yep that’s about right…my buddy has flyweights and he likes the comfort but they are not holding up nearly as well as the ultra lights … especially the mesh webbing on exterior that the flyweights have that frayed rather quickly
I have seen the flyweights degrade. That doesn’t bother me as much as the fact that my toes are getting squished a little bit. It’s too narrow of a shoe upfront. The G threes in 13 feel great. I can do several different things with them I think they comfortable. just a little hefty. If that Oris boot is a light G3 I’ll be in good shape. It sounds like it may be.

I’m very foot with small ass end
And paddles up front. My left foot is also a half size bigger than the right. It’s always been interesting.

mooster

WKR
I use a silk sock liner, wool socks, then waders hunting just S of Artic Circle 9/10-9/20 and see high teens. Despite my usually suffering coldfee while whitetail hunting in the 20's, don't seem to have the problem on moose hunts. Usually moose hunting the worst is putting on frozen boots. If one is cold, the water is usually much warmer than air.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
don't forget about the boiling water in the wading boots trick on cold days. Simply boil water and dump a hot cup in each boot then slip into them slowly. Feels like heaven for an hour or so.

mooster

WKR
don't forget about the boiling water in the wading boots trick on cold days. Simply boil water and dump a hot cup in each boot then slip into them slowly. Feels like heaven for an hour or so.
exactly, and helps making it possible to thaw/tie a frozen boot lace !