Warning for updated MT regulation

With the MT application season recently opened I wanted to give everyone a heads up on a new regulation I happened to overlook!! In years passed, if you were lucky enough to draw a special permit, you were still able to hunt other hunting districts using your general license.

This is no longer the case!!!

Now, when you draw that special permit, you are restricted to that unit and that unit only during the season dates specified on the special draw. This does not apply to elk B licenses.

Just wanted to spread the word so somebody doesn’t anchor themselves in single unit accidentally!

Good luck!

Attachments

• B55B21BD-F034-45F2-9699-717F7932EE3B.jpeg
    B55B21BD-F034-45F2-9699-717F7932EE3B.jpeg
    707.8 KB · Views: 68
I saw this also. On a personal level I dislike it because there have been numerous years where I had a limited draw tag but also hunted a general unit. On an overall perspective I’m not sure how to feel about it.

Only for the season drawn though. For example, limited to specific HD for the rifle permit you drew during general but can hunt any HD during archery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT257

WKR
I personally think this is great make hunters be more accountable. Might make some think twice before applying for that permit that is across the state that the hunter may not even hunt taking opportunity away from someone who may use the permit.

Pro953

WKR
The Montana system is certainly a dumpster fire. That said I agree with this change. If you want a LE hunt you apply for the LE hunt, if you want a general tag take the combo license. It should not be a have your cake and eat it too type of situation. These things are nice with you take advantage of them, but it does not mean the concept is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnsd16

WKR
Incorrect, this is new this season for elk. It has been the case for mule deer permits in the past but not for elk.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
You’re absolutely right. Looked back at the old regs, it was that you couldn’t hunt antlered elk in the same unit you drew certain antlerless tags and then as you note that way for buck mule deer across the board. I like the change.

Blasey

FNG
The state is just doing what they can to ensure the herd sizes stay where they want them. If they needed 100 cows removed from an area and all those hunters with the tags went to a different area and shot a bull, the state will have accomplished nothing. I do feel your pain though, I moved to MT in 1987 and hunted there a lot. My Dad still lives in Livingston.