Was leaving the hunt worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We both had bear spray and he also had a 9mm. There is known bear in that area but I never saw any sign what little I was there. I scanning for tracks…
I do appreciate your attitude in this thread, it’s refreshing to see a thread like this turn into a wildfire of butthurts and the rabid pack smelling blood and dog piling, you not looking for a reason to be offended is the reason this thread stayed on it’s rails… so far😉

Life is a big lesson full of hindsight and different perspectives, as everyone knows, seems like life can’t really be talked about without people getting offended and others defensive, into a pointless argument nobody takes anything away from.

Your attitude is refreshing in this day and age, almost like you’re a grown up… for the full forum experience, you may want to increase your ego, and possibly hold onto some crazy delusions, it’s actually not a bad trait, it’s progressive 😂

Deadfall

WKR
Rokslide logic......

Spend $800 on a pack "it better be f****** perfect, this webbing strap is 1/4" too low"

Spend $10,000 on a guided elk hunt "you should be happy you had dirt to sleep on cuz elk man"
Or fix the strap before the hunt or after the hunt. Leave because of the strap?

Noone saying anything wrong with being mad...

Jethro

WKR
Some more kudos for the way @tntrker has handled this thread. Takes the criticism, suggestions, and ribbing and plays right along. Takes a big man to post the story like this while still traveling home. Many guys go 164 days until they have the wherewithal to post a dramatic hunt story.

I would not have left. Certainly not after day 1. You got hosed though. Not so much about the Ramen. Hell I got that in my cupboard at home. But 3 packs of Ramen and an egg Mcmuffin for 2 guys for 3 days is crazy whether you paid 10K or 100$.

I do feel you make DIY out to be more of an impossible feat than it is. Don't have to be 8 miles in to have a great DIY hunt. I get the feeling you could handle it if you tried. Good luck next hunt.

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
Sounds like you didn’t get the service you signed up for… I personally would have stayed though, chasing elk is worth the loss of all luxuries if it comes down to it, but I have never had money invested in a hunt like that, so my perspective may be a bit off of reality…

I would rather pay for good hunting than good food any day though
Me as well. Again, I’m not against noodles, crackers, bologna, egg McMuffins, etc. If I was to pack food in, they all would be in there. My leaving was the fact he lied about 2 tents being up, he was “right behind us to finish camp setup and have supper when we get back”, sitting for 3 hrs at night not knowing WTH was going on, hearing the “guide” have constant stories talk the owner being a shit show and refunds people regularly, the owner knew what this trip meant for me as we talked more than a few times over the year about it and he thought that little of me to not be ready and being as little as he did. Him mentioning a few times after he arrived that “everything will be setup Saturday( this was just Tuesday)when the other hunter arrives. Maybe having to refund the full amount to me will stop or slow his shit show for another in the future.

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
I think if I'm understanding this right alot of the problem comes down to lack of trusting the outfitter and problems that come from that.

Heck you were outlayed very clearly what to expect when you got to camp. Organized with a designated camp cook there making meals and obviously a cook tent. That clearly wasnt ready

You were expecting an experienced guide who knew the elk and how to call them, AS WELL AS navigate in griz country. An unexperienced guide packing a 9mm?? He probably didnt even have +p hardcasts for it
emoji23.png
emoji23.png

And you were expecting a warm safe/secure tent to spend the night in.

Taking all these in account, not a single one was even remotely close to being fullfilled, AND you didnt even have enough food to last you more than half a day; all while depending on this "outfitter" to bring you your supply of food when the best he can do is bring day-old McDonalds and Dollar General food.

But while your sitting in the dark in the middle of griz country wondering if your outfitter is even gonna bring you supper you ask your guide what youre gonna do with a bull and he says put in the creek and hope the griz dont find it????

Dude, if was in that situation and didnt know what to believe what was gonna happen next id be outta there. I dont blame you at all and would expect any common-sensed person to do the same.

As to all these guys saying they'd diy it id love to see it. Diy'ing in griz country solo is a different game. Ive hunted diy outside yellowstone and it aint a joke.

But who am I? Ive only ever diy hunted in the greater yellowstone. Sounds like you made sound decision. Good luck in 2024!

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
Thanks man. There was a few times a noise made it through the ear plugs and I would look over my shoulder to make sure the open tent didn’t have a grizzly looking at his next meal.
This forum is as good as they come. A wealth of information is shared and has made the difference in a lot of peoples success or experience. There is a visible line between DIY’ers and others. I knew I was gonna to q a
Out of meme ideas and heading out for the weekend. Thanks for the story @tntrker !View attachment 450586
good luck!
And our meme game is much much stronger.

Honestly the crap I’d take from my buddies alone would keep me from coming home. I can’t fathom giving this excuse for why I left a Montana elk hunt after day 1 and drove a thousand miles + back home. Sounds like a Texas high fence hunt would suit OP better. Save the wild animals for those that want to be out there. Soft as butter.
the high fence operations don’t interest me, is the really hunting? I don’t think so but I know plenty that do and can sit and tell story after story of seeing dozens of trophies before shooting theirs. I’m constantly invited but have no desire for that type of hunt. The friends I have already support me no matter if I had killed a record setter, if I missed one with 12 arrows, or if I left the Super Bowl of hunts because of a shit show. I left you 3 herd bulls I located on day one, go get one…

Man, some of you guys are dragging OP and he’s brushing it off like a pro.

For that amount of money I would’ve spent an inordinate amount of time on that hunt pissed off, which—as the kids would say—would not pass the vibe check. It would’ve been too much negative energy during what was supposed to be an overall enjoyable experience; elk or no.

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
I think if I'm understanding this right alot of the problem comes down to lack of trusting the outfitter and problems that come from that.

Heck you were outlayed very clearly what to expect when you got to camp. Organized with a designated camp cook there making meals and obviously a cook tent. That clearly wasnt ready

You were expecting an experienced guide who knew the elk and how to call them, AS WELL AS navigate in griz country. An unexperienced guide packing a 9mm?? He probably didnt even have +p hardcasts for it .

And you were expecting a warm safe/secure tent to spend the night in.

Taking all these in account, not a single one was even remotely close to being fullfilled, AND you didnt even have enough food to last you more than half a day; all while depending on this "outfitter" to bring you your supply of food when the best he can do is bring day-old McDonalds and Dollar General food.

But while your sitting in the dark in the middle of griz country wondering if your outfitter is even gonna bring you supper you ask your guide what youre gonna do with a bull and he says put in the creek and hope the griz dont find it????

Dude, if was in that situation and didnt know what to believe what was gonna happen next id be outta there. I dont blame you at all and would expect any common-sensed person to do the same.

As to all these guys saying they'd diy it id love to see it. Diy'ing in griz country solo is a different game. Ive hunted diy outside yellowstone and it aint a joke.

But who am I? Ive only ever diy hunted in the greater yellowstone. Sounds like you made sound decision. Good luck in 2024!

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
Great minds think alike! Thanks

I support my friends. That doesn’t mean I won’t bust their balls.

Golfing with strangers “Ohhh…that putt was very close ! Nice job !

Golfing with friends. “Does your sister know you’re using her putter? or this classic from my brother in law right in the middle of my backswing….
“Ya know I’m f***ing your sister, right?

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Some more kudos for the way @tntrker has handled this thread.
Couldn’t agree more. @tntrker you planned & paid for a first class ticket experience but ended up on row 35 of coach in a broken seat at best. I admire your grit to put your self worth above caving in and being taken advantage of even though leaving meant sacrificing the high probability of anchoring a big bull. That refund will go a long way towards planing a really great trip someday! Just skim past the critical Monday morning quarterbacking here , don’t reply, & leave the naysayers hangin’ on waiting for you to say something. I’d say that your profile picture also says that you got the card carrying bona fides for making the decision you did and the confidence to not let others make you doubt otherwise. By now I imagine your back home home in the Upstate can enjoy a relaxing Saturday of college football….I think Clemson is playing a “practice game” today against Furman. 😁

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
I agree and disagree. I agree with you on the food situation being pretty screwed up. I disagree with DIY and Guided being no comparison, because the goal is always the same either way.
I’m just saying that the elk action that you experienced with your first 1/2 day of hunting is extremely rare in my experience, and I’d say several people on here would’ve loved to been in your shoes. I’d pick high quality hunting over high quality camping every day of the week.
As long as you feel you made the right decision that’s all that matters. Hopefully your next hunt is a better experience overall.
It’s all good. I knew I was in a situation any and every hunter dreamed of, it’s what I have always dreamed of but never expected, much less 3 herd bulls firing off at each other because I got them stirred up on the first evening. I “knew” the plan to hunt them the next morning was a solid plan and the backup plan for the evening hunt was just as solid. I “knew” I was going to get my trophy the next day and would be outta there by Thursday and not worry about the shit show one bit. I also “knew” putting my trophy in the creek was a bigger gamble than I had planned on. (I know it’s done and nothings wrong with that), I also knew I couldn’t believe the owners plans about the camping/eating plans up until Sat, if at all after Sat. I also knew he was used to giving some money back regularly and getting a reduced rate would have let him think I was ok with that and it wouldn’t have gotten better after. I HOPE after a full refund to me, that somebody else will not be treated as he “regularly” treats them.

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
I support my friends. That doesn’t mean I won’t bust their balls.

Golfing with strangers “Ohhh…that putt was very close ! Nice job !

Golfing with friends. “Does your sister know you’re using her putter? or this classic from my brother in law right in the middle of my backswing….
“Ya know I’m f***ing your sister, right?
I’ll get that too, as support 😂🤓

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
Couldn’t agree more. @tntrker you planned & paid for a first class ticket experience but ended up on row 35 of coach in a broken seat at best. I admire your grit to put your self worth above caving in and being taken advantage of even though leaving meant sacrificing the high probability of anchoring a big bull. That refund will go a long way towards planing a really great trip someday! Just skim past the critical Monday morning quarterbacking here , don’t reply, & leave the naysayers hangin’ on waiting for you to say something. I’d say that your profile picture also says that you got the card carrying bona fides for making the decision you did and the confidence to not let others make you doubt otherwise. By now I imagine your back home home in the Upstate can enjoy a relaxing Saturday of college football….I think Clemson is playing a “practice game” today against Furman. 😁
Got here yesterday evening, wife was so happy her “headache” wasn’t there and I’m watching CollegeGame day now with plans of watching the Clemson/Furman game from a suite at the stadium with a free pair of tickets. Life’s not all bad, I just can’t look at other peoples “trophy kills” so far this season.. 😂

Elkbelch

FNG
One of my buddies is in Colorado this week on a muzzleloader hunt with his new neighbor who has a friend that lives out there setting them up. Supposedly he is a guide and will be telling them where to go. My buddy took all his gear and camp In case this thing doesn’t work out. Good to have a plan B although you shouldn’t need one on a $10k hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.