Was leaving the hunt worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me of this epic story of hunters being hosed by shitty AK outfitter but grinding it out and killing awesome moose.
Dang!! Thanks for sharing that link. I never read that before. Fascinating. Quite the ending also!

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would have stayed killed and negotiated some reduction in price……sounds like elk hunting heaven…..good luck on the next hunt.

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
LOL 😆😆 , funny as heck! Did ya bugle at her first?

^ That plus free Death Valley suite tickets today just might make up some for leaving MT!
Free food, beer, tickets tend to ease the sting. I can’t bugle and she heard enough of me attempting to cow call before I left so I just raised my lip like an old bull. Worked like a charm. 😎

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
I think if I'm understanding this right alot of the problem comes down to lack of trusting the outfitter and problems that come from that.

Heck you were outlayed very clearly what to expect when you got to camp. Organized with a designated camp cook there making meals and obviously a cook tent. That clearly wasnt ready

You were expecting an experienced guide who knew the elk and how to call them, AS WELL AS navigate in griz country. An unexperienced guide packing a 9mm?? He probably didnt even have +p hardcasts for it .

And you were expecting a warm safe/secure tent to spend the night in.

Taking all these in account, not a single one was even remotely close to being fullfilled, AND you didnt even have enough food to last you more than half a day; all while depending on this "outfitter" to bring you your supply of food when the best he can do is bring day-old McDonalds and Dollar General food.

But while your sitting in the dark in the middle of griz country wondering if your outfitter is even gonna bring you supper you ask your guide what youre gonna do with a bull and he says put in the creek and hope the griz dont find it????

Dude, if was in that situation and didnt know what to believe what was gonna happen next id be outta there. I dont blame you at all and would expect any common-sensed person to do the same.

As to all these guys saying they'd diy it id love to see it. Diy'ing in griz country solo is a different game. Ive hunted diy outside yellowstone and it aint a joke.

But who am I? Ive only ever diy hunted in the greater yellowstone. Sounds like you made sound decision. Good luck in 2024!

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
Thanks man, that was exactly as I saw and felt it.

Send me the GPS coordinates of that wallow and I’ll get you a gift certificate to your favorite ranch style diner.

Honestly, I think I would have got creative. The time and money investment on tags and fuel would put me in a situation where at the very least I wouldn’t have left the state.

I can understand wanting the 10k back, that’s a lot of money to get screwed over. I’d have had a hard time leaving but I’m not gonna bash you for doing what was right for you. However, if trying to negotiate a much reduced rate and heading off the hill for an afternoon to get your own food wasn’t an option I’d have been marking Lots of way points on my gps.

Head to town, hire a packer or ask around for an out of work former guide if you aren’t comfortable going back in alone. Even have an option of finding a group of other out of staters and packing in with them since you have the info.

Before guys start beating me up about stealing the outfitters spot, after the debacle, you don’t owe him shit and I’m assuming it’s public land.

The other thought is start calling around for last minute cancellation hunts. Don’t know if you had a general or LE tag but 10k in your pocket gives you lots of options

Ucsdryder

WKR
Reminds me of this epic story of hunters being hosed by shitty AK outfitter but grinding it out and killing awesome moose.
Sounds like this story might have had a happy ending…

I just googled his name to see if he was still guiding this and found this article. It says from an investigation from 2014.

Laramie

WKR
As a former guide, I'm trying to understand why your guide did several things. Why not start a fire to help keep your hunter comfortable? Why talk negatively about your employer? Why not do your best to put a positive spin on things to keep your hunters mentality positive? What if the outfitter had been injured on the trip in? Would he have let you sit in the dark all night? At least half of what was wrong with this situation could have been improved by a good guide.

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
Send me the GPS coordinates of that wallow and I’ll get you a gift certificate to your favorite ranch style diner.

Honestly, I think I would have got creative. The time and money investment on tags and fuel would put me in a situation where at the very least I wouldn’t have left the state.

I can understand wanting the 10k back, that’s a lot of money to get screwed over. I’d have had a hard time leaving but I’m not gonna bash you for doing what was right for you. However, if trying to negotiate a much reduced rate and heading off the hill for an afternoon to get your own food wasn’t an option I’d have been marking Lots of way points on my gps.

Head to town, hire a packer or ask around for an out of work former guide if you aren’t comfortable going back in alone. Even have an option of finding a group of other out of staters and packing in with them since you have the info.

Before guys start beating me up about stealing the outfitters spot, after the debacle, you don’t owe him shit and I’m assuming it’s public land.

The other thought is start calling around for last minute cancellation hunts. Don’t know if you had a general or LE tag but 10k in your pocket gives you lots of options
Honestly dude even though nothing happened to me, I wasn’t in real danger of starving, there was a cold fresh spring 200yrds for camp for water, the whole trust issue into that outfitter really crushed my hunting spirit. I’ve hunted white tails all my life, hunted a moose in Newfoundland and another elk in Montana, I have no desire to even step into my hunting season here at home. If my WY hunt in 2024 wasn’t with my son, I’d cancel it and sell my bow outfit. Maybe that’ll change but at the moment I’m fine if it doesn’t change, which uncharted territory in my life…

3forks

WKR
As a former guide, I'm trying to understand why your guide did several things. Why not start a fire to help keep your hunter comfortable? Why talk negatively about your employer? Why not do your best to put a positive spin on things to keep your hunters mentality positive? What if the outfitter had been injured on the trip in? Would he have let you sit in the dark all night? At least half of what was wrong with this situation could have been improved by a good guide.
Dude… look how the outfitter conducts business.

Do you really the outfitter is hiring top hands based on the guide’s comments about the amount of refunds the outfitter has had to provide?

The guide doesn’t even know how to call and he’s guiding a client on an elk hunt. I’m sure there’s a lot of other things the guide doesn’t know how to do or would think of in the situation he was put into.

I guided fishing in MT for 20+ years. There‘s a lot of outfitters who are incapable of running a business.

Id give this outfitter the benefit of the doubt since he provided the OP a full refund, but if he’s having to refund clients continually - he’s obviously not running a great operation.

Dude… look how the outfitter conducts business.

Do you really the outfitter is hiring top hands based on the guide’s comments about the amount of refunds the outfitter has had to provide?

The guide doesn’t even know how to call and he’s guiding a client on an elk hunt. I’m sure there’s a lot of other things the guide doesn’t know how to do or would think of in the situation he was put into.

I guided fishing in MT for 20+ years. There‘s a lot of outfitters who are incapable of running a business.

Id give this outfitter the benefit of the doubt since he provided the OP a full refund, but if he’s having to refund clients continually - he’s obviously not running a great operation.
^^ I agree with all this. Plus there are not many young men who will even work in Bozeman / Belgrade anymore, outfitting or guiding. The pay is crap. Construction pays way more, hell Taco Bell pays more. The outfitters money seems to be taking tourists into the park on day horse back rides. That’s where the money is. The really good outfits are always booked and cater to big $$ out of Big Sky and the 320 Ranch. I dont know the outfitter, as a lot has changed in the canyon over the last 20 years. The floods in Yellowstone screwed lots of locals this year and they were all scrambling to catch up, replace workers who left etc.

The OP wasnt local. He doesn’t live and hunt in the mountains like some of us do. This is one of the more remote areas in the lower 48. Griz and lion country. Also there are no packers or other guides to hire. Jake‘s horses sure isn’t going to accommodate. There is nobody in West to hire on a whim. Everybody has help wanted signs up. This is why the outfitter is a mess and has a twenty something kid with a 9mm who cant call elk, and doesn’t know how to start a fire or set up a wall tent. Just my two cents..

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
I asked him why he stayed with that outfitter and he said when he came out from TN to learn how to cook/guide, he promised the owner he would stay for 2 years. This was the start of his 2nd year and he was burnt out and not sure he was going to keep doing it, but he was trying to keep his word…

^^ I agree with all this. Plus there are not many young men who will even work in Bozeman / Belgrade anymore, outfitting or guiding. The pay is crap. Construction pays way more, hell Taco Bell pays more. The outfitters money seems to be taking tourists into the park on day horse back rides. That’s where the money is. The really good outfits are always booked and cater to big $$ out of Big Sky and the 320 Ranch. I dont know the outfitter, as a lot has changed in the canyon over the last 20 years. The floods in Yellowstone screwed lots of locals this year and they were all scrambling to catch up, replace workers who left etc.

The OP wasnt local. He doesn’t live and hunt in the mountains like some of us do. This is one of the more remote areas in the lower 48. Griz and lion country. Also there are no packers or other guides to hire. Jake‘s horses sure isn’t going to accommodate. There is nobody in West to hire on a whim. Everybody has help wanted signs up. This is why the outfitter is a mess and has a twenty something kid with a 9mm who cant call elk, and doesn’t know how to start a fire or set up a wall tent. Just my two cents..
10k in cash and gps coordinates to an elk Mecca can turn a lot of young construction workers into hunting buddies if you’re willing to ask around.

I bet the 19yo kid at the local archery shop has a lot of buddies with strong backs

Lawnboi

WKR
I would have asked for a couple snickers, that seems to fix things.

I’d also never pay for someone to take me hunting.

Iv packed myself in with them ramen noodles before and had a hell of a time.

I’d say no to the egg McMuffins though.

Laramie

WKR
I asked him why he stayed with that outfitter and he said when he came out from TN to learn how to cook/guide, he promised the owner he would stay for 2 years. This was the start of his 2nd year and he was burnt out and not sure he was going to keep doing it, but he was trying to keep his word…
Wait, so this outfitter hired a guide/Cook from Tennessee to guide one on one elk hunts in grizzly country. Seriously, that is bad. Really bad...

grfox92

WKR
Some of you guys are being pretty ridiculous.

For all the armchair quarterbacks here talking wild smack about how he should have just toughed it out.....Either you guys have way to much disposable income or your not being honest. $10k is alot of money to a lot of people. I would have high expectations if I was dropping $10k on a guided hunt.

Imagine if he decided to stay and the experience only got worse. Then he was expected to pay $10k for a terrible experience. Who's to say the guide would have even given him a discount. How much was the discount going to be? Would he pay 6k? For an inexperienced guide who couldn't even hunt elk?

I think the OP is going back home with 10k in his pocket to book a hunt with a reputable outfitter and get the experience he expects he is paying for.

Maybe we should be recommending guides for him to go with next year with his 10k instead if telling him how dumb he is.....

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
Wait, so this outfitter hired a guide/Cook from Tennessee to guide one on one elk hunts in grizzly country. Seriously, that is bad. Really bad...
Some of you guys are being pretty ridiculous.

For all the armchair quarterbacks here talking wild smack about how he should have just toughed it out.....Either you guys have way to much disposable income or your not being honest. $10k is alot of money to a lot of people. I would have high expectations if I was dropping $10k on a guided hunt.

Imagine if he decided to stay and the experience only got worse. Then he was expected to pay $10k for a terrible experience. Who's to say the guide would have even given him a discount. How much was the discount going to be? Would he pay 6k? For an inexperienced guide who couldn't even hunt elk?

I think the OP is going back home with 10k in his pocket to book a hunt with a reputable outfitter and get the experience he expects he is paying for.

Maybe we should be recommending guides for him to go with next year with his 10k instead if telling him how dumb he is.....

Sent from

Status
Not open for further replies.