Was leaving the hunt worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erict

WKR
Montana tags are not provided by outfitters...they are issued to the hunter, and are good all season long. The majority of the state can be hunted on the general tag. OP can go back with a rifle if he wants to later this year and punch his tag.

I assume he's a non-resident, had a contract with the guide and purchased the second "outfitter" preference point to get his elk license this year. (The guide, in the meantime, submitted a list to FWP of hunters who they had a contract with and which confirms that the hunter can be provided the extra point). In such circumstances, the tag is ONLY good while hunting with the outfitter, not before, not after.

Depends on what you call lemonade. Getting your 10k back and not letting the loser outfitter get away with ripping you off and trying again another day 10k less poor is not bad lemonade either.

There is something to be said for that and I can’t argue. It just seems like there was still potential to make some hard earned memories and avoid wasting sunken costs.

Rich M

WKR
Depends on what you call lemonade. Getting your 10k back and not letting the loser outfitter get away with ripping you off and trying again another day 10k less poor is not bad lemonade either.
That’s funny.

You spend a year or two prepping for a hunt and drive across the country, then for whatever reason bail on day 1.

Yer still out a week of vacation, 500 or 1,000 in gas, all the prep time and such. All to teach the loser outfitter a lesson. LoL! There is no lemonaide.

Im sure this post actually generated clients for the outfitter.

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
I assume he's a non-resident, had a contract with the guide and purchased the second "outfitter" preference point to get his elk license this year. (The guide, in the meantime, submitted a list to FWP of hunters who they had a contract with and which confirms that the hunter can be provided the extra point). In such circumstances, the tag is ONLY good while hunting with the outfitter, not before, not after.
Nonres with 3 points without the outfitter tag. I still have the tag with no plans to go back.

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
That’s funny.

You spend a year or two prepping for a hunt and drive across the country, then for whatever reason bail on day 1.

Yer still out a week of vacation, 500 or 1,000 in gas, all the prep time and such. All to teach the loser outfitter a lesson. LoL! There is no lemonaide.

Im sure this post actually generated clients for the outfitter.
I actually did have lemonaide. With my refund, I passed a kid on the side of Hwy 287 in Wyoming with a lemonaide stand, and I gave him $10 for his $1 cup. His eyes were bigger than mine when I first heard that elk..

KurtR

WKR
If there are that many elk around I tough it out and kill one and cook back straps on the fire. I would have negotiated some money off but quitting would not have crossed my mind.

Is the OP a new hunter by any chance? These posts always turn into a shit show. Like 99% of other posters here said theres no way I'm leaving an area that heavily laden with elk. That would haunt me forever. I worked as a guide for a few years though in an easily accessed public land area and have definitely seen some unreal expectations. A lot of clients view elk hunting as a week away from their significant other, etc. and don't really care about killing elk. It was always a refreshing feeling when someone showed up ready to grind.

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
If there are that many elk around I tough it out and kill one and cook back straps on the fire. I would have negotiated some money off but quitting would not have crossed my mind.
Had he brought me anything to eat other than a .50 pack of noodles at 11pm, I would have.

KurtR

WKR
Had he brought me anything to eat other than a .50 pack of noodles at 11pm, I would have.
A .50 pack of Ramen or a lobster tail both a calories it’s just fuel. Maybe it’s because I had to eat a shit ton of mre at Ft Sill but there were times a pack of noodles would have been awesome. It’s all perspective after hunting elk for three years and seeing 2 I would have boiled pine needles to stay in an area the elk kept me awake at night. It took me 5 years to kill an elk.

A .50 pack of Ramen or a lobster tail both a calories it’s just fuel. Maybe it’s because I had to eat a shit ton of mre at Ft Sill but there were times a pack of noodles would have been awesome. It’s all perspective after hunting elk for three years and seeing 2 I would have boiled pine needles to stay in an area the elk kept me awake at night. It took me 5 years to kill an elk.
OP was looking for a "glamping" trip.

three5x5s

WKR
If the OP is happy, I'm happy for him. But for me........I would have ate those noodles right out of the package, uncooked, no sauce, chewing softly to not spook the elk. The hair on the back of my neck stands up every time I hear a bull bugle. Those Bulls would have thought my belly growling was a pissed off bull grunting back ant'em.

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
are you a diy? Have you ever paid $9350 to sit in the dark, with bear sign/scat around,listening to a complaining "guide", waiting not knowing when/if food was coming after hunting all evening. I didn't think so....I wont again either..

KurtR

WKR
are you a diy? Have you ever paid $9350 to sit in the dark, with bear sign/scat around,listening to a complaining "guide", waiting not knowing when/if food was coming after hunting all evening. I didn't think so....I wont again either..
Nope I haven’t but if I did pay that much I’m staying just on principle . Like I said negotiations would happen but I’m already there what’s quitting going to get me other than a lot of regret and what ifs down the road. Embrace the suck and kill something the rest is just all back ground noise. Was the main purpose killing an elk or eating good food. What’s the difference if a bear eats you in a nice tent or under the stars your dead either way. You came on here looking for validation probably not happening from a group that packs their own ramen and consider it a delicacy in the back country. Quitting is quitting it’s just how you justify it to your self.

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
If the OP is happy, I'm happy for him. But for me........I would have ate those noodles right out of the package, uncooked, no sauce, chewing softly to not spook the elk. The hair on the back of my neck stands up every time I hear a bull bugle. Those Bulls would have thought my belly growling was a pissed off bull grunting back ant'em.
Nope I haven’t but if I did pay that much I’m staying just on principle . Like I said negotiations would happen but I’m already there what’s quitting going to get me other than a lot of regret and what ifs down the road. Embrace the suck and kill something the rest is just all back ground noise. Was the main purpose killing an elk or eating good food. What’s the difference if a bear eats you in a nice tent or under the stars your dead either way. You came on here looking for validation probably not happening from a group that packs their own ramen and consider it a delicacy in the back country. Quitting is quitting it’s just how you justify it to your self.
I guess. I just didn't have the means to DIM for 5 years to see if I could find one..

CRJR45

WKR
I guess. I just didn't have the means to DIM for 5 years to see if I could find one..
I suggest you just stop responding , let it go . At this point you're just beating a dead horse , or Elk .
Everyone has a balloon knot and can't wait to show it , LOL
I know I've made decisions I've regretted in the field , I think we all have .

OP was looking for a "glamping" trip.
Not accurate. If you read through the whole thread, the OP posted exactly what services the outfitter promised to deliver for almost $10k. In addition, he had multiple conversations with the outfitter prior to the trip and they were presumably on the same page re: expectations. Other than an area to hunt, none of the goods and services promised by the outfitter were delivered. A constructed wall tent and a hot meal is not "glamping".

If I were in the same situation, I would've been pissed too, but would've stayed for the same reasons that @KurtR mentioned.

And where’s the BoAL sequel @Dos Perros ?

Well I went elk hunting and now I'm up against some end of fiscal year deadlines and my kids have been a pain in the ass.

But, I have restructured the idea in my head to accommodate a whole series of sequels. I discussed it with a buddy at length on the way home from Colorado. We feel confident in the creative direction we are headed.

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
A burger has twice as many calories.. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.