Was time for a new bow.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
So I picked a Hoyt RX4 Ultra. I shot the ultra last year when they where new to the scene and fell in love with it. Finally getting around to picking one up. She is purdy. Cant wait to get it setup.

Hoyt RX4 Ultra.jpg

ZDR

WKR
Nice looking bow and yes, they do shoot well. I really enjoy mine.

BTW: where have you been?

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
away from the Internet for a few years. Was time to step away. Still here though. Last year I couldnt even get out because of the Covid stuff and work.

ZDR

WKR
good to see you back. stepping away for a while probably a good thing for all of us to do occasionally.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
How does the RX4 shoot in comparison to the RX3 you shot the previous year? I heard they are pretty similar; curious if you noticed any difference

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I couldnt tell you, as I have been shooting a PSE Carbon Air since 2017. This is my first Hoyt that I have had in 15 years. sorry man.

I have the RX3 ultra with bomar stops on the cams and I have shot the RX4 ultra. The wall on the RX4 Ultra is much better than the 3 Ultra unless you add the Bomar stops, add Bomar stops to the RX3 Ultra and I can't tell a difference. I love my set up. Enjoy the 4.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
I couldnt tell you, as I have been shooting a PSE Carbon Air since 2017. This is my first Hoyt that I have had in 15 years. sorry man.
Thanks for replying, after reading this thread decided to pick up an RX-4 Ultra...not to high jack the original thread, but to answer my own question and in case it helps others, the Carbon Defiant 34 and RX-4 Ultra feel very similar (I had asked about the difference b/t an RX-3 and RX-4 as was trying to decide for which to buy in place of my Carbon Defiant-decided if was going to buy a newer bow anyway, I’d go with the latest model in consideration)

The draw cycle is very comparable; I’d say the Carbon Defiant is slightly easier to draw at the same weight (65 lbs, 29” DL), but the wall on the RX-4 Ultra is more solid. The slightly easier draw could be due to my Defiant using the #3 Cams (29-32” DL) and the Ultra using #2 Cams (27-30” DL). Even though both bows have a 34” ATA, the Defiant is a longer overall bow. I am getting 5fps faster with the Ultra with my same arrows. So far, I’m happy with the purchase and look forward to more time with the Ultra. I am seeming to get slightly tighter groups out of my Ultra, but this could just as easily be the shooter variable.

To sum up for anyone deciding, based on my personal experience (which is by no means a professional review), I’d say the Carbon Defiant 34 is still a relevant and nice shooting bow that is able to hold its own against newer models; if you’re happy with it and don’t want to spend the money on a newer bow, you’re not missing out on a substantially improved bow. If you’re trying to get marginally better performance, a shorter bow with the same ATA, and have a newer model offering, you’ll be right at home picking up an RX-4 Ultra. I do
like that the RX-4 has the dovetail drop away mount option (although QAD sure is proud of their proprietary rest as evidenced in the price point); it is worth using in my limited first impressions.

As a side note, I have not shot the newest RX-5 bows, as I felt with the added weight for 2021, it diminished the value/purpose of using a carbon bow...this was why I considered the RX-4 Ultra; pick up the latest model year that shoots as well as/slightly better than the Defiant that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed.

attached are my 20 yard sight in 3 shot groups with the Ultra CF271EBF-6127-40F6-96EA-20D061D95785.jpeg4AC161FC-34ED-456F-8632-8379E3E98F6C.jpeg74893873-4FB9-4D8A-AAF6-FCFD673C2B7B.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Nice setup I like the black riser camo limbs. Glad you like the bow. I ended up blowing my wrist out so have not even gotten to shoot mine yet. hoping to go this weekend to get it setup at the local Archery shop.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry about your wrist injury-sounds painful. Glad to hear you’ll be be back to shooting soon-hope all goes well.