Wasatch Muzzle Loader elk

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
I got lucky and drew the Wasatch muzzle loader tag for bull elk. I live in Iowa and probably wont make it out to scout. Will go 2 to 3 days before season to get familiar with the area (scout). If anyone has hunted this area and wouldn't mind sharing info with me through a PM I would appreciate it. I started my research within minutes of me finding out I drew. Thanks

nobody

WKR
I live in the unit and have helped guys with tags before, but my family always hunts another unit in Utah for good reason. The Wasatch is NOT what it was from 2005-2010, so my first bit of advice is to get that image out of your head. I know WAY too many guys who pass solid bulls because "there's a 400" bull behind every tree." The old timers who live around here still have that image in their heads, and as they draw tags slowly they are always disappointed. Blame the DWR, blame winters, blame whatever, the hay-days of the Wasatch are gone, done-zo, finito, period.

That being said, there's still lots of solid bulls on the unit. But if I had the tag, I would shoot the first 330 bull I saw. There's big suckers out there still, but not like they were there.

Bring a Jeep or a SXS and spend a couple days scouting along the big main roads on the unit before the season starts. There's lots of good roads running the ridges that give you good views of everything below. Bring good glass and a spotter and you won't have any trouble finding some elk. If you can stay the whole hunt, I would. Be patient and persistent to find a mature bull, but don't pass on a 340 if you see one.

I got lucky and drew the Wasatch muzzle loader tag for bull elk. I live in Iowa and probably wont make it out to scout. Will go 2 to 3 days before season to get familiar with the area (scout). If anyone has hunted this area and wouldn't mind sharing info with me through a PM I would appreciate it. I started my research within minutes of me finding out I drew. Thanks
You lucky dog. Congratulations! Just out of curiosity how many points did it take you to draw your muzzy tag. Best of luck and have a great time chasing them.

OP
D

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
I live in the unit and have helped guys with tags before, but my family always hunts another unit in Utah for good reason. The Wasatch is NOT what it was from 2005-2010, so my first bit of advice is to get that image out of your head. I know WAY too many guys who pass solid bulls because "there's a 400" bull behind every tree." The old timers who live around here still have that image in their heads, and as they draw tags slowly they are always disappointed. Blame the DWR, blame winters, blame whatever, the hay-days of the Wasatch are gone, done-zo, finito, period.

That being said, there's still lots of solid bulls on the unit. But if I had the tag, I would shoot the first 330 bull I saw. There's big suckers out there still, but not like they were there.

Bring a Jeep or a SXS and spend a couple days scouting along the big main roads on the unit before the season starts. There's lots of good roads running the ridges that give you good views of everything below. Bring good glass and a spotter and you won't have any trouble finding some elk. If you can stay the whole hunt, I would. Be patient and persistent to find a mature bull, but don't pass on a 340 if you see one.
I plan on doing the whole hunt, will be happy with a nice 6x6. I've been told that by a few others that the quality went down and more hunters. Thanks

OP
D

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider

I would take any help you want to give. Thanks

2five7

WKR
You've probably already read this, but just in case you haven't.
Put in your hunt number (EB3100), they give really good info

nobody

WKR
Interesting, I had no idea muzzleloader wasn’t split up into East/West like rifle and archery is.
No, they never have split up the Elk into East/West. The general deer, yes. But the Elk has always been the entirety of the Wasatch as one unit. You must be confusing it with the general season deer.

SaltyUte

Lil-Rokslider
No, they never have split up the Elk into East/West. The general deer, yes. But the Elk has always been the entirety of the Wasatch as one unit. You must be confusing it with the general season deer.
Yup, my mistake.

OP
D

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks I will hunt the whole time won’t pass any over 300
I drew the ransom tag with 6 points. Really lucky.
random tag 6 points