Washing First Lite Merino and Down

kissell59

FNG
Looking for tips on washing/drying first lite clothing merino and down items? Recently purchased and looking to make it last, so curious if its a necessity to buy certain detergents or what everyone is using out there. Any info would be great thanks!

For merino: Double check with the garments care instructions but ive found it's often a delicate cold water cycle with nikwax merino detergent. It still gives it a light spin so it doesn't come out sopping wet. Then Hang dry. Can prob use any dye/ scent free detergent too. Never had any shrinking/weird size changes that way.

Akicita

WKR
I wash all my merino layers, down bags, and puffy's with Woolite on a gentle cycle then hang dry. After they are dry I tumble dry them on low for 15 minutes or so with a few dryer balls to re-loft the down and re-shape the merino garments.

Some will say the Woolite will strip the down oils or conditioning but I have never experienced significant harm or reason not to after doing so for more than 40 years. Woolite is also easy to source and is pragmatically priced.