Washing merino wool?

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
Just a quick question, what do you wash your merino wool with? Do you use scent killer or is there a soap for wool?

Hardstalk

WKR
I use a dry cleaner. One closest to home. Even though wool has come a long way its too expensive for me to take a chance and soak it in water. I just tell them to keep it as scent free as possible then i lightly spray it when i get it home with some scent killer. I have not experienced it yet but have heard stories of wool shrinking in half with a normal washer.

The best way to wash merino is to use a phosphate/fragrance free product like Tide Free or a hunting specific detergent, wash on cool and hang to dry. You can put all of our stuff in the dryer, with the exception of the pants, but just like a pair of jeans it will last a lot longer if you keep it out of the dryer. Merino dries very quickly. thanks-Kenton... Hardstalk, cool avitar

dotman

WKR
Good to see FL on here. I just wash and dry all my stuff, wash cold and dry low heat. Haven't had an issue yet but it is all FL. I did have 1 piece of core4 that shrunk like no other after the first wash.

OP
M

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply firstlite. All of my merino is firstlite so i'll take your advise!

Lawnboi

WKR
I wash all mine with scent free soap with all my other hunting gear. I never dry my merino in the dryer. Some brands say you can, some you can't. I just let mine air dry.

ACC

FNG
Sport wash, delicate cycle and hang dry. Never use the dryer!

KMT

WKR
All of my wool is Smartwool. I wash it in scent free tide with anything else that needs to be washed and dry on normal heat. It never shrinks, and I have done this for years.

Throc

Lil-Rokslider
I use smartwool too. I just wash like any other clothing with detergent and cold water. Then hang dry. Never any problems.

Jimbob

WKR
Ivory snow (very mild detergent), use "wool" setting on my washer. lay flat to dry. I have found that hanging wool can alter the shape.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use our regular laundry detergent, and wash ours on delicate, and in cold water inside a mesh bag. I will line or machine dry according to the specific manufacturers instructions, for some reason some companies (smartwool) say you can tumble dry low, while most others (icebreaker, stoic, I/o bio, and minus 33) recommend line drying. The couple of times I goofed up and machine dried our merino I didn't notice any problems, but I suspect line drying is better for the overall life of the products.

I have never worried about the scent too much, as merino is excellent at remaining scent free. I have noticed when my merino clothes get damp or wet in the field from either sweat or rain, that I start to smell a little like a wet sheep :)