Washington Antelope Poached

Washington Roksliders;

Many of you likely heard about the antelope that was poached near Kennewick on July 15 or 16 right off I-82.

The Central Washington Chapter of Safari Club International is working with the other Washington Safari Club chapters and WDFW to provide reward money for the arrest and conviction of the poacher(s).

Attached you will find a link to the article regarding the discovery of the poached antelope. A reward poster is being developed and will be circulated in south-central Washington as well

Any and all information can be submitted to the Poaching Hotline at: 1-877-933-9847.

Thanks for your help and support!

Randy Bauman
Vice President
Central Washington Chapter - Safari Club International

http://www.kvewtv.com/article/2014/jul/22/antelope-found-poached-south-kennewick/

mullmann

Lil-Rokslider
A person could lose their hunting privilege for two years and a $1000 fine. Sounds pretty weak to me. People like that don't deserve the right to hunt.

Shrek

WKR
And a year in jail by the information in the article. I think a $1000 fine and loss of hunting privileges is pretty stiff for most working folks. If a $1000 and loss of your hunting privileges is nothing to you then congratulations on having it made. It's an antelope not a human. If it's a repeat offender then jail time but if they had caught me at all the stupid chit I did when I was young I'd have a criminal record wrecking my life today. It's disgusting and disrespectful yes but it's not worth financially ruining someone now and crippling their ability to make a living for the rest of their lives. Laws need to leave room for judges to judge . Jail to a minor slap leaves plenty of roomfor a judge to tailor the punishment.

jm1607

WKR
And a year in jail by the information in the article. I think a $1000 fine and loss of hunting privileges is pretty stiff for most working folks. If a $1000 and loss of your hunting privileges is nothing to you then congratulations on having it made. It's an antelope not a human. If it's a repeat offender then jail time but if they had caught me at all the stupid chit I did when I was young I'd have a criminal record wrecking my life today. It's disgusting and disrespectful yes but it's not worth financially ruining someone now and crippling their ability to make a living for the rest of their lives. Laws need to leave room for judges to judge . Jail to a minor slap leaves plenty of roomfor a judge to tailor the punishment.

I agree..

I always found poaching fines to be on the low side though.. I feel they should be approximately double to triple what they are now.. Up to $1000 means they'll probably end up paying $200-$500.. No jail time for 1st offense.. I would think a 1 year license suspension..

A good $2k-$2.5k fine and no hunting privileges for 1 year is what I would hand down if I could.. Repeat offense, maybe 1-3 months locked up should get the point across..

It is disgusting, at least take the whole damn animal with you, crap

mullmann

Lil-Rokslider
Someone who shoots an animal just to cut the head off isn't a first time offender. I have spoken to the DNR officer's in Michigan where my family hunts and they deal with repeat offenders more then new offenders. They arrest people who have no hunting privilege due to being taken away for violations.

You can't poach an antelope in Wa. It's an invasive species with no mention whatsoever in the game regs. They're given the same protection as a Nutra rat or feral pig. Which means they can be shot on sight. That SCI with the help of WDFW wasted a lot of money on the relocation doesn't change the fact that they are an invasive species eating critical grass lands for elk, and both mule deer and columbia white tail deer. And shoot on sight is exactly what the Yakima nation and private landowners did once they were released. And shoot on sight is exactly what they will continue to do. I've got some private farm land I can coyote hunt on out there and the land owner has specifically told me to shoot them on sight and I would. And you could call the State Patrol and there's not a damn thing they could do to me. Can't poach what doesn't exist.

And the article states it was discovered by a land owner but it doesn't state who's land it was found on? Doesn't sound like there is a trespassing issue so if it was on public land or Yakima Nation land then big whoop.

Garbage article! Garbage statement from WDFW! And a really garbage press release from the Safari Club!

Shrek

WKR
Someone who shoots an animal just to cut the head off isn't a first time offender. I have spoken to the DNR officer's in Michigan where my family hunts and they deal with repeat offenders more then new offenders. They arrest people who have no hunting privilege due to being taken away for violations.

And that's why there needs to be jail time on the table for the judge.

Shrek

WKR
You can't poach an antelope in Wa. It's an invasive species with no mention whatsoever in the game regs. They're given the same protection as a Nutra rat or feral pig. Which means they can be shot on sight. That SCI with the help of WDFW wasted a lot of money on the relocation doesn't change the fact that they are an invasive species eating critical grass lands for elk, and both mule deer and columbia white tail deer. And shoot on sight is exactly what the Yakima nation and private landowners did once they were released. And shoot on sight is exactly what they will continue to do. I've got some private farm land I can coyote hunt on out there and the land owner has specifically told me to shoot them on sight and I would. And you could call the State Patrol and there's not a damn thing they could do to me. Can't poach what doesn't exist.

And the article states it was discovered by a land owner but it doesn't state who's land it was found on? Doesn't sound like there is a trespassing issue so if it was on public land or Yakima Nation land then big whoop.

Garbage article! Garbage statement from WDFW! And a really garbage press release from the Safari Club!
It didn't occur to me that they are non native. That the Safari Club and WDFW are running off at the mouth is a shame if they are in fact unprotected .

jm1607

WKR

Dang, I had no idea

Mike7

WKR
I could be wrong, but weren't antelope "Re"-introduced in Washington State?

I had never thought about it before, but you would think that WDFW would get regulations in place to protect antelope if they are one of the groups spending tax payer money trying to reintroduce antelope.

If regulations were in place, then I would recommend no jail time at all. Instead, determine what the cost was to reintroduce that antelope (no doubt a lot), and then garnish the offenders wages for life until said amount is paid for. If the offender chooses not to work, then keep taking away his/her toys as long as payments are not being made (e.g. ATV's, motorcycles, etc.). And as a deterrant publize monthly on the WDFW website ongoing punishments occuring for wildlife related infractions.

ssliger

WKR
Revoking hunting privileges doesn't do anything against poachers. They don't care about the law to begin with. The only way to curtail it is with fines and jail time.

Hate to tell you but proghorn are a native of the state of Washington. They have only been absent from the state for the last 100 years or so. In fact the 1904 hunting license included an antelope tag and they were observed in the area by Lewis and Clark. They are most definately not an invasive species in Washington. Also, your assertion that the Yakima Nation members shoot them on sight is pretty far fetched, as it was the Yakima Nation that was instrumental in reintroducing them to their reservation lands with help from SCI. In addition, your assertion that the proghorn will "eat critical grass lands for elk..." is not accurate as proghorn mostly eat forbs and browse with only a small amount of grass included in their diet.

Mike

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

This is an interesting point of view. Guess if I was a land owner near their release and had no input or voice I would be upset. Am no lawyer but would be willing to bet shooting one is a violation of at least one law they have on the book whether you interpret it that way or not. I would think the tribe would have rules in place since they agreed to the release. Yes the sci should be pissed after they invested especially if it turns out antelope do not have the protection required for reintroducion.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Regardless seems like the sci needs to get local land owners more excited about it if the above is the majority view

I find it hard to believe that an animal that the wdfw want to reintroduce has zero protection they tried to reintroduce them back in the 49's I beleive but the attempt failed. I doubt with the money and effort put in that you can go around shooting them like coyotes.

Pronghorn antelope are listed as big game in the Washington hunt regs and the regs include this:

Criminal Wildlife Penalty Assessment
In addition to criminal penalties, courts assess
a criminal wildlife penalty for conviction of
illegally killing or possessing: deer, elk, bear, or
cougar - $2,000; moose, antelope, bighorn sheep,
or mountain goat - $4,000; trophy deer (four or
more antler points on both sides, not including
eye guards), or elk (five or more antler points on
both sides, not including eye guards) - $6,000;
and mountain caribou, grizzly bear, or trophy
mountain sheep (3/4 curl or better) - $12,000.

So it appears they are protected in the state.

Mike

OP
H
As stated, the pronghorn were re-introduced to WA. They are not an invasive species.
The long-term goal is to rebuild the population to a point that there is sustainable and huntable population in WA again.

As for the land owners; there are a bunch of folks working in concert with the local SCI chapter, the tribe and WDFW. In meetings with many of the key land owners, support for the project has been positive.Sightings and counts are reported regularly to a couple of the key folks involved in the project. Fawn recruitment this year was very good, so the herd is growing.
As for the the folks shooting antelope on sight, this is the first report of an antelope being shot/poached.

Bottom line, regardless your stance on antelope, you should absolutely oppose this kind of behavior as it gives all hunters a bad name. Our job as hunters/sportsmen and women is to protect and promote our precious wildlife.

I agree Heather and stand corrected.

And am glad to see that antelope were added to the regs. When the re introduction first occurred and the slaughter took place WDFW stated that there was nothing they could do about it.

My apologies to SCI, the Yakima Nation and most of all to the author of the article.

And I hope the catch the SOB and string him up!

Mike7

WKR
Good info above, thanks. I would love to be able to hunt antelope in WA eventually.

I don't know the data on the effects of a healthy antelope population on agriculture v.s. cattle operations, etc. but things seem to work okay in Wyoming...and the Wyoming Fish & Game Dept has some programs to help encourage land owners to be involved in antelope management/hunting. Maybe the WDFW could study Wyoming and then be proactive with getting out information and ideas to ranchers so that everyone is on board and working toward a goal of future antelope hunting.

Kind of off subject and I don't know what goes on behind the scenes in WA, but with hunting yearly in Idaho and Washington, Idaho does a tremendously better job than WDFW in dispensing information and soliciting public feedback, etc. The one year I hunted in Wyoming, it was much better also. Maybe WA's management is okay, but their public service sucks.

The only place with a less organized Fish and Wildlife Dept (from a management standpoint and customer service standpoint) that I have ever lived was Hawaii. The hunters that I met in Hawaii were really great though. :)