Washington Antelope Poached

KHNC

WKR
A few ranchers I have met in Central Nebraska absolutely hate antelope. They say they are a detriment to their precious sandhills and cattle. They have bragged about shooting them on sight. I have no doubt they do it as much as possible there. I haven't witnessed it myself,however the sentiment is very strong there.

dotman

WKR
A few ranchers I have met in Central Nebraska absolutely hate antelope. They say they are a detriment to their precious sandhills and cattle. They have bragged about shooting them on sight. I have no doubt they do it as much as possible there. I haven't witnessed it myself,however the sentiment is very strong there.

Some ranchers hate anything other then cattle on their land. On our two ranches we not only maintain the proper habitat for our cattle but also wild game. We have planted many game birds when a hard winter or crappy spring/summer would wipe them out. Only would shoot mature deer and lopers. Never once have we had a grass shortage due to wild game. We always had plenty of db tresspassers but a well watched property can reduce this as well.

Both ranches are in MT, elk and bison issues are different but we rarely had elk in our area other then a few migrating from one range to another.

Olydog09

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Spokane and I am kind of ashamed that I knew nothing about the reintroduction of antelope in our state. Does anyone know the herd sizes? I wonder if Wa. has enough non interrupted range land to sustain a huntable population excepy by permit or by drawing. .

OP
H
Olydog,
The first transplant was 100 animals. Nevada has 100 more for WA, but between light winters and the antelope not gathering up on winter range and conflicts with the helicopter contractor we have not had a chance to move the second bunch. So far, landowner support has been positive and supportive.

I just talked to one of our board members and he is meeting next Tuesday with the landowner where the antelop was poached. He has spotted several animals with ear tags and one with the radio collar and is taking our guy on tour of his property. Additionally, we are working with several other property owners to install or help maintain guzzlers and salt licks for the animals on remote pieces of property. We now also have the contact info for all landowners in the Tri Cities area who have spotted antelope on their property and will be reaching out to them to further our partnership. The contacts came courtesy of a local taxidermist who has a lot of contacts in the area.

Finally, other opportunity may exist with landowners in the Yakima valley who have very large contiguous farms and are willing to work with us to provide long term solutions for not only antelope, but mule deer and elk as well as possible sage grouse projects in the future.

Good things are happening because good people are involved in finding long term solutions for WA wildlife.

Randy Bauman
Vice President
Central Washington Chapter-SCI