Washington early archery

I actually live on the west side, and I’m much more interested in archery hunting these critters(deer in general) more so than rifle or muzzy.

I have had some success in the past, and I do seem to always run into them but it’s usually not an opportune time and never when or where I expect to see them.

I have some Montana tags to fill this year, I’m not looking for a wall hanger, honestly any legal deer will do. Not asking for anyone’s honey holes but… haha just kidding! I do have some questions though -

Right now it’s early Archery. Obviously everything is dry and noisy. I’ve seen where people recommend still hunting through timber but the handful of places I’ve been… even walking as slow as possible still yields noise. You can’t walk softly enough through some of this stuff - and then trying to still hunt reprod - no way, the salal will bust you if the slash doesn’t. So that brings me to walking closed roads - what makes you guys excited about a road? What qualities should it posess(aside from being gated) that would make you pick that gate over all the other gates?

As far as still hunting timber/edges of clearcuts - going back to the noise concern, I feel like you couldn’t go slow and soft enough to eliminate it so what’s the play here? I also feel like if you could go slowly enough chances are you’re gonna miss the deer moving out during the morning.

Any other pieces of advice? It seems most books and articles are written from the perspective of a guy looking for the biggest deer on the mountain - I’m just a meat hunting looking for a legal deer of any sex. I already plan on hitting more productive units than the one I’ve been fiddling around in.

Thank you.

I am in W. WA as well. In the spring, I use various maps and satellite images to find where prospective areas might be. Mainly looking for easy travel between food and bedding areas and maybe a year-round water source. Then, lots of walks, many are not terribly productive. I keep a journal of where I see deer.