Washington Elk

Herbie03

Lil-Rokslider
I posted this earlier in the FNG forum when searching for WA elk hunts. I think this is where I should have posted lol

If I may jump into this thread that has been allowed to retire(see what I did there?), I have a step daughter that now lives in Seattle. This means I'll be joining my wife to visit her occasionally. I've been archery hunting elk in various western states but OR and WA have been a bit too far of a drive from StL. (I hate flying with my gear) Anyway, since I figure I'll be out there maybe I can tack on an elk hunt mid to late Sept. I'm seeing a lot of negativity for elk hunting, especially in western WA but as a member of the over 60 club and a glutton for punishment, I thought I'd see if you guys could give me some leads on prime otc spots :ROFLMAO: or more to the point any recommendations on guided, semi guided or drop camp outfitters. Maybe one of you would "act" as a wilderness guide? Maybe I'm peeing up a tree.
I'm not opposed to a nice trophy bull, but I enjoy the experience as much or more than the kill (I'm a vet of experiences vs kills). A fat spike or juicy cow will put a lot of meat in my freezer. I'm in good shape, and enjoy backcountry spike camps (glutton for punishment). As a former infantry Marine and Coastie (USCG) I know enough about my limitations and survival to get myself in trouble.
Anything constructive shared is greatly appreciated and top secret PM's will be guarded with my life.

Wrader36

FNG
I've lived and hunted Washington my whole life. I could not in good conscience tell you to come here and hunt elk. It's not that we don't have any, it's just not very good. The state is split into eastern Washington and western Washington and you have to declare a "side" for elk. Western Washington is primarily owned by logging companies and you have to buy access, and even then they have THEIR draw for elk(even if you have an elk permit). The Eastside has the better quality hunts, but you have to get drawn. And don't even get me started on the draw system. The Eastside has way more public land, but if you aren't drawn then you are stuck chasing true spike only. If you look at the success rate they hover around 5-6%. There are good bulls taken every year, but they are few and far between.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
I've been a WA resident for almost 7 years and have not hunted elk one single day in WA if that tells you anything. With that said, I just have no interest in hunting spikes or cows. If you did then the east side might be ok.

I do put in every year for an east side tag and will probabaly hunt WA once in my life if I ever draw, but since I plan to move to WY, maybe I won't.

WPFY543

FNG
The logistics of hunting elk in WA just don't make it worth the time investment, especially around the Seattle area. Private land access through the timber companies is very difficult and limited (some only allow access during daylight hours, no camping, none/limited vehicle access). Woods in every direction are busy with non-hunters in the fall. Spike season is extremely short and overrun with people that tend to be very territorial. If I had 2 days to hunt elk, I would spend one day driving to another state. Drive out for a visit in Seattle (weather is great here in the fall) put your wife on a plane home, and head to another state better managed for opportunity. I hoped that this wasn't the case when I moved here, but that has been my reality.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I've hunted elk every year in WA State since 1968. And all of those seasons spent in eastern WA areas (dry side).
Specifically, 3 game management units. In that time span, I've tagged 29 bulls, only 2 scored over 300. Last 15 years, mostly spikes due to spike bull only regulations. Since 1992, Eastern WA branched antler bull tags are now draw only. 3x drew the "any bull" (big bull tag), filled those 3 tags.
Hoping to draw one last big bull tag while my age allows to hunt elk. Sitting on 15 bonus points, waiting to draw.

Hunted several times out of state as well over the years. So much better elk hunting with more elk, bull quality and more areas. WAS much easier getting tags back in the 80's, early 90's. Heck most non-resident elk tags could be purchased over the counter. States like AZ, NM are my elk hunt nirvanas. Nearly impossible these days as DIY-public land hunter to draw a tag with all the non-resident BS and restrictions in AZ, NM.
Montana would be a favorite, 'cept for Grizz.
Survived Grizz charge back in 1984, vowed to never go back to Montana...and haven't.

what most have written above regarding western WA is correct.
As a non-resident, it will be expensive...considering it's Washington State!
Basic Elk Hunt license & tag : $498, and a draw application will be over $110 = $608.
If not drawn, pricey just to get a bonus point, but you still could hunt general elk seasons with their limitations of 3pt+ bull western or spike bull only eastern. At time of purchase, must choose Western or Eastern WA State though and which weapon you will hunt with.

One positive thing about WA elk, the draw system is true Bonus point/lottery style. More points=more chances to draw. Not the Preference Point (point creep) BS as most other western states.

here is video I posted, showing my 2021 eastern WA spike bull hunt. Got lucky again...

Last edited:

BrentH

WKR
I've lived and hunted Washington my whole life. I could not in good conscience tell you to come here and hunt elk. It's not that we don't have any, it's just not very good. The state is split into eastern Washington and western Washington and you have to declare a "side" for elk. Western Washington is primarily owned by logging companies and you have to buy access, and even then they have THEIR draw for elk(even if you have an elk permit). The Eastside has the better quality hunts, but you have to get drawn. And don't even get me started on the draw system. The Eastside has way more public land, but if you aren't drawn then you are stuck chasing true spike only. If you look at the success rate they hover around 5-6%. There are good bulls taken every year, but they are few and far between.
Just to clarify one point. There is only one Timber company that has their own Elk Draw. The rest of the Timber co land, you are free to hunt elk on if you buy their access permit.

The rest about WA is true. I couldn’t imagine paying non-res prices to hunt here.

Griswold

FNG
Why Washington? Look at the harvest numbers by state. This article is old but still valid.
https://www.backcountrychronicles.com/elk-harvest-comparison-western-states/

Check out each states 2019 or 2020 elk harvest numbers.

Wolf numbers have increased in Washington the last couple of years and the Governor said the deer and elk should feed predators to reduce livestock conflict. WA manages deer and elk populations to feed predators, not for hunting. Do not waste your money. Go elsewhere.

Elkangle

WKR
Buy a western WA elk tag and go elk hunting...no draws...no permits...just go and have fun

Don't worry bout the timber lands...don't worry bout the fact your not in Arizona...throw a dart...go scoute...and youl probably find some elk

Avoid the hoof rot areas, a call to bios could help you with that

Good luck 👍

Wrench

WKR
If it makes you feel better, I have applied for bull tags every year since 1992 and never drawn one. When I finally do, they'll never get another 6bux for the chance from me.

Huntnnw

WKR
I've hunted elk every year in WA State since 1968. And all of those seasons spent in eastern WA areas (dry side).
Specifically, 3 game management units. In that time span, I've tagged 29 bulls, only 2 scored over 300. Last 15 years, mostly spikes due to spike bull only regulations. Since 1992, Eastern WA branched antler bull tags are now draw only. 3x drew the "any bull" (big bull tag), filled those 3 tags.
Hoping to draw one last big bull tag while my age allows to hunt elk. Sitting on 15 bonus points, waiting to draw.

Hunted several times out of state as well over the years. So much better elk hunting with more elk, bull quality and more areas. WAS much easier getting tags back in the 80's, early 90's. Heck most non-resident elk tags could be purchased over the counter. States like AZ, NM are my elk hunt nirvanas. Nearly impossible these days as DIY-public land hunter to draw a tag with all the non-resident BS and restrictions in AZ, NM.
Montana would be a favorite, 'cept for Grizz.
Survived Grizz charge back in 1984, vowed to never go back to Montana...and haven't.

what most have written above regarding western WA is correct.
As a non-resident, it will be expensive...considering it's Washington State!
Basic Elk Hunt license & tag : $498, and a draw application will be over $110 = $608.
If not drawn, pricey just to get a bonus point, but you still could hunt general elk seasons with their limitations of 3pt+ bull western or spike bull only eastern. At time of purchase, must choose Western or Eastern WA State though and which weapon you will hunt with.

One positive thing about WA elk, the draw system is true Bonus point/lottery style. More points=more chances to draw. Not the Preference Point (point creep) BS as most other western states.

here is video I posted, showing my 2021 eastern WA spike bull hunt. Got lucky again...
lots of any elk and bull only in E WA . I would never hunt spike only units

OP
H

Herbie03

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate all the replys and advice. I notice many of you talk about the high cost of WA tags. Most other states, I'd be a non res in all of them, are a higher cost. Is it that you feel the reward isn't worth the cost? If I'm being honest, when I hunt MT or WY or CO or others, I'm paying more and usually come home empty handed. So, my thinking is that if I set my expectations to a cow, spike and get one, then that'd be a great success to me. Maybe you mean to hunt cow/spike isn't worth the nonres fees? I'll grant you that it's a lot of $, but it's the world we live in if we want to hunt (I guess, until I move to an elk state). I'm searching other states because of all the neg responses, but I'm going to be in WA anyway and would love to get set up on something with a decent chance of a fun hunt with a successful harvest.
Keep the advice coming. I'm listening.
Thanks again.
Greg

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I appreciate all the replys and advice. I notice many of you talk about the high cost of WA tags. Most other states, I'd be a non res in all of them, are a higher cost. Is it that you feel the reward isn't worth the cost? If I'm being honest, when I hunt MT or WY or CO or others, I'm paying more and usually come home empty handed. So, my thinking is that if I set my expectations to a cow, spike and get one, then that'd be a great success to me. Maybe you mean to hunt cow/spike isn't worth the nonres fees? I'll grant you that it's a lot of $, but it's the world we live in if we want to hunt (I guess, until I move to an elk state). I'm searching other states because of all the neg responses, but I'm going to be in WA anyway and would love to get set up on something with a decent chance of a fun hunt with a successful harvest.
Keep the advice coming. I'm listening.
Thanks again.
Greg
I can only speak to elk hunting eastern WA State...

I hunt OTC archery elk in Colorado about every other year or so. Mostly a fallback hunt if no other out-of-state elk tags are drawn. Hunters talk about how CO is crowded and yes there are lots of hunters. Especially thanks to CO F&G with recent changes and elimination of OTC units, with several southern units now a draw only archery hunt. Now more Colorado NR hunters are pushed into the OTC elk units (2) that I hunt.

However, CO is nothing compared to number of hunters you will encounter in eastern WA state. Although there are elk in NE WA with less restrictions & hunters, but lots of private lands in NE WA.
Only 2 areas in eastern WA produce good numbers in the harvest. Those being the Colockum-Ellensburg areas and Yakima region units. Many hunters condensed into these 2 main EASTERN WA areas. In rifle season, these units are insanely CROWDED.
There is a 3rd area, the SE Blue Mountain units but the quality & numbers of elk have decreased badly.

I pay more for license/tag fees OTC in CO & other states but simply there more elk, more areas to hunt available than WA.
Reality being the success rate in WA will be much less than MT, WY or CO. Since you "usually come home empty handed..." is the reality of what most NR DIY public land hunters experience.
But bottom line, you'll be with hunting & enjoying, learning new areas so purchase NR and go experience the great northwest outdoors. That enjoyment is worth every penny...

Last edited:
I can only speak to elk hunting eastern WA State...

I hunt OTC archery elk in Colorado about every other year or so. Mostly a fallback hunt if no other out-of-state elk tags are drawn. Hunters talk about how CO is crowded and yes there are lots of hunters. Especially thanks to CO F&G with recent changes and elimination of OTC units, with several southern units now a draw only archery hunt. Now more Colorado NR hunters are pushed into the OTC elk units (2) that I hunt.

However, CO is nothing compared to number of hunters you will encounter in eastern WA state. Although there are elk in NE WA with less restrictions & hunters, but lots of private lands in NE WA.
Only 2 areas in eastern WA produce good numbers in the harvest. Those being the Colockum-Ellensburg areas and Yakima region units. Many hunters condensed into these 2 main EASTERN WA areas. In rifle season, these units are insanely CROWDED.
There is a 3rd area, the SE Blue Mountain units but the quality & numbers of elk have decreased badly.

I pay more for license/tag fees OTC in CO & other states but simply there more elk, more areas to hunt available than WA.
Reality being the success rate in WA will be much less than MT, WY or CO. Since you "usually come home empty handed..." is the reality of what most NR DIY public land hunters experience.
But bottom line, you'll be with hunting & enjoying, learning new areas so purchase NR and go experience the great northwest outdoors. That enjoyment is worth every penny...
Listen to this guy!

While I have no direct elk experience out of state(YET), I will say my experience deer hunting here vs out of state was mind blowing. Not only are there more animals, there's way less hunters. The locals where we were kept saying how there weren't many animals around and there was a lot of hunters.... me and my buddy were shocked that they thought this was a low amount of animals and a high amount of hunters.

The amount of hunters that hunt during the Washington seasons for elk and deer will shock the shit out of you. I don't mind fighting them for deer as I don't normally hunt rifle anyway, but elk I'll take a pass on.

Bachto

WKR
My advice... get a 4wt fly rod and hike into some lakes and do some fishing. You will probably have way more fun getting out and doing that or if you are so inclined to do some archery hunting just make sure you have that rod with you and make it a duel trip.

I can echo what everyone else is saying in this forum. I have an idaho elk tag this year and feel much better giving my out of state money/fees to IDFG than the "managing for social issues" WDFW.

Elkangle

WKR
If your stuck in Washington I think the best value would be a multiseason deer tag....very very little competition during early archery, the late archery has the tail of the rut and the rifle is full rut...can hunt east or west

Multiseason deer just gives alot of versatility with season dates and all three species of deer

Maybe do that for a year or two and see if you stumble across some of the super rare elk that grab your attention 😉

Wrench

WKR
Fair warning, there's basically no whitetail deer left in eastern Washington. The pressure on the mule deer will be stupid. I would love to see them shut this year down. I was recently on a hazing project in some of the best private whitetail ground in the east side and saw 7 deer in a week. Typical observation would be over 100 for this area. Local die off is in the high percentages as well....it's really bad.

Washington elk gun season is 90 hours of daylight and 300k hunters chasing the same elk. It's not fun hunting, it's racing.

Lifetime WA resident, born and raised.

Cousin kills Westside bulls yearly and we get into 300"+ bulls on the Eastside yearly. There are Any Bull units on both sides of the Cascades. That being said, we have 100+ years of multi-generational family experience hunting the same handful of units, and we know them well enough to hike them blindfolded, as well as spend a lot of boots-on-the-ground time scouting.

If you're not willing to invest a ton of time and miles (boot & tire), then I wouldn't waste your time as an OTC out-of-state hunter, not for WA elk, and not as someone hoping to kill anything.

Extremely short seasons, high hunter numbers, and limited units of good value. It's not any different than hunting elk anywhere else, but you have to learn the escape routes and know how the masses are going to push them, and when.

I've always said that if you want to be routinely successful in WA for any game, then you need to be in the field well before first light.

SWOHTR

WKR
While I haven't hunted in Washington since I've been here (got here Oct 2021), I go out hiking almost every weekend. I am on the west side.

I have seen zero deer, bear, and elk while out hiking, and this is from the North Cascades NP, Mount Baker area, and Mt Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest.

There are a LOT of people though. A lot! And most have no business going into the mountains. If the breeze were to pick up and it were to rain they'd be in quite a bit of trouble. On last weekend's hike I stopped counting at 100 people.