Washington Elk

Hey, curious if anyone here has ever drawn the bull tag for Sauk? If I understand correctly, I believe Weyerhauser is no longer involved with any timberland within the unit either, at least they it didn't look like they offer their permit access any longer.

I’ve got a western archery tag this year. Prospects are pretty bleak. I’m just squaring with the fact that it might be tag soup over memories of jungle bush whacking!

I’m in it for the adventure.

I’ve got a western archery tag this year. Prospects are pretty bleak. I’m just squaring with the fact that it might be tag soup over memories of jungle bush whacking!

I’m in it for the adventure.
Consolation prize for me this year, drew an east side Archery Cow tag.

ridgefire

WKR
I live in Washington and have hunted elk out of state for the last 15 years or so for a reason. I would never consider paying for an out of state tag here unless it came with a bull tag in the one of the hard to draw areas. Much better opportunity and experience in the other western states I have elk hunted in.

I live in Washington and have hunted elk out of state for the last 15 years or so for a reason. I would never consider paying for an out of state tag here unless it came with a bull tag in the one of the hard to draw areas. Much better opportunity and experience in the other western states I have elk hunted in.
I agree Ridgefire. I've lived in WA my whole life and would not pay for an out of state tag here. I hunt the west side, primarily because I don't feel like hunting for spike only if I didn't happen to draw anything. The hoof rot has gotten bad in quite a few areas to top it off. I believe Will Primos did a hunt on the Oregon coast (really similar to WA), and said that he has sincere pity for the elk hunters here.

Jason277

WKR
What are you Washington guys doing to get ready for the season? Shooting your bow, hiking with weight? Running…

What are you Washington guys doing to get ready for the season? Shooting your bow, hiking with weight? Running…
Im out a couple days per week on long hikes with a 70lb. pack. I dont work as much during the spring/summer so I can get out every week. If I can get 15 miles in thats an average day with the heavy bag. Never hunted archery, right now Im shooting a 340 spine arrow with a 150gr. field tip at 40,50,60 yards every day. Probably 10 shots at each distance.

Jason277

WKR
Im out a couple days per week on long hikes with a 70lb. pack. I dont work as much during the spring/summer so I can get out every week. If I can get 15 miles in thats an average day with the heavy bag. Never hunted archery, right now Im shooting a 340 spine arrow with a 150gr. field tip at 40,50,60 yards every day. Probably 10 shots at each distance.
Nice !

anybody else scouting around in the cascades? I have been a bit intimidated at the idea of committing to an archery elk hunt in the Olympics. Lotta country and a long drive

Jason277

WKR
anybody else scouting around in the cascades? I have been a bit intimidated at the idea of committing to an archery elk hunt in the Olympics. Lotta country and a long drive
Scouting in the Cascades here. The snow level has been very low. 5- 6 feet of snow on the south facing slope I hiked up yesterday. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Most people are probably hammering, that is the west coast training regimens… run a marathon, do some shoulder pressing, then shoot the center of your target out at 175 yds… rinse, repeat