Washington high alpine??

Just one basic tactic question

Will I potentially see animals in high basins on the opener?? On kodiak and montague Sitka black tails will still be high mid to late september. Same tactics??

Last deer species for the NA deer slam. I'm mostly a goat hunting fool and it'd be fun to hunt above the bush line

Clarktar

WKR
Yep, I have seen them up there in mid October in the snow. I enjoy chasing them around when the snow is flying. ALthough I did get my a$$ kicked due to being ill prepared the first time. In my experience (which is limited) I have seen deer without much hassle in October up high..

jimmy33

WKR
There is a high buck hunt in Washington that runs September 15-25. You can hunt this area with a rifle. It is most of the wilderness areas in the state. Anything west of the pacific crest trail can give you a blacktail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are there. But it’s not easy to find them that’s for sure.

Jackelope

Lil-Rokslider
Are you looking for a blacktail or a mule deer? Maybe I missed that part.

• Banned
OP
N
Blacktail

Looking for a fun hunt. If a decent Mule deer was around I wouldn't hesitate. My October is full up with hunts in Wyoming so trying to squeeze a quick 5 day or so deal.

Know of some great areas in California but want to make it a family trip and see my cousins in Monroe area.

jimmy33

WKR
Is it really anything west of the PCT for a Boone and Crockett blacktail? Is the pct the line?

I’m just saying that there is a chance to shoot an actual blacktail, not one just recognized by Boone and Crockett. I have seen plenty within 30 miles of the PCT.

Jackelope

Lil-Rokslider
I wasn’t trying to argue or anything. Really was just wondering if the pct was the line where B&C decided a blacktail was actually a blacktail. If I was hunting with a goal of killing all 5 deer species, I’d want to ensure that my blacktail was legit. If you’re from here, you probably know of the drama that ensues when someone shoots a 150” “blacktail” in the cascades. I’m from an area where nice big actual blacktails are killed every year. I’m also within 30-40-ish miles of the pct as the crow flies and have hunted up there and seen 150” bucks on the west side that geographically would be called blacktails. Not sure what they’d be genetically.

ee8460b3396c2c85b5cea20e19398271.jpg

Yes you will find deer along the crest in Sept/Oct. Said deer could be a blacktail, a muley or what we call a benchleg which is a cross breed. Some drainages are more genetically pure than others but most have benchleg’s too.

The state says anything west of the PCT is a blacktail so as far as I’m concerned anything west of there fills your slam. And a benchleg or big muley would do it with style :).

I'm from Western WA between I-5 and the PCT and have killed a couple nice mature blacktails. As far as the book goes, anything west of the PCT is a "blacktail". So if you're looking to complete your slam on a technicality, you could hunt the highcountry of the cascades just west of the crest and get it done. Odds are though you'll see mostly Mule Deer. Are there true blacktails in that zone of the state? Yes, but rare IMO. It's mostly Muleys up high in the Cascades. If you're looking to complete your slam in a more traditionalist/purist way, then hunt the jungles of the Westside anywhere from the Ocean to 20 miles West of the crest. It's all true blacktails in that zone.

I believe that all of the wilderness areas on the Olympic Peninsula are included in the "high hunt" description, and if you were hunting up there, you'd definitely be in blacktail country. Per the B&C website, below is the official description for a deer to be considered a true blacktail.

Washington — Beginning at the Washington-British Columbia border, the boundary line runs south along the west boundary of North Cascades National Park to the range line between R10E and R11E, Willamette Meridian, which is then followed directly south to its intersection with the township line between T18N and T17N, which is then followed westward until it connects with the north border of Mt. Rainier National Park, then along the north, west and south park boundaries until it intersects with the range line between R9E and R10E, Willamette Meridian, which is then followed directly south to the Columbia River near Cook.

Yes you will find deer along the crest in Sept/Oct. Said deer could be a blacktail, a muley or what we call a benchleg which is a cross breed. Some drainages are more genetically pure than others but most have benchleg’s too.

The state says anything west of the PCT is a blacktail so as far as I’m concerned anything west of there fills your slam. And a benchleg or big muley would do it with style :).
Thanks Buster and MuleDeerMike. That's really interesting how these two species come together and hybridize. I've not been to that country, so never had an appreciation for it.

swordtine

FNG
Also interesting how the benchlegs can look different, depending on which side of the cascades you are on....seems like antler mass and length really varies by geographic region a lot. Not sure how much feed and climate plays a part in that...

Raghornklr

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re trying for a true blacktail it’s going to be tough in the high hunt. If that’s the only time available I’d suggest looking at the wilderness in the Olympic mountains and avoid the whole Benchleg dilemma.

ReinsuranceShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Rag horn gave some great advice there. Never hunted the early high hunt myself but my dad used to in the Olympics. Generally did well.