Washington hunting questions

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
G'mornin Rokslide,

My family is considering a future move out of California. We are most likely going to end up in Idaho or Washington.

Although this will not impact where we end up, I am having a hard time understanding Washington hunting regs. I cannot tell if they have general OTC tags similar to Idaho or Wyoming. anyone on here have experience? I am not looking for any location info, or even quality of hunt info. Just hoping someone can guide me on understanding their regulations.

thanks!
Owen

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
We have OTC deer, elk, bear, and cougar hunting. Some seasons/areas are only available through drawings though.

Thanks Justin. I have an office in Spokane so I spend a bit of time there. we are looking at Tricities though, as we have some very good friends there.

BluMtn

WKR
If I were in your shoes I would be looking at Idaho if you want to continue hunting. Our game dept in their infamous wisdom has just about eradicated our game in the state of Washington. About the only thing that has done well here is the Wolves, cougars, and bears. I realize Idaho is not to far behind us with game animals, but a least you can hunt wolves and the state is more outdoorsman friendly than Washington. As always with everything I say this is strictly my own opinion. Good luck in your decision.

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
If I were in your shoes I would be looking at Idaho if you want to continue hunting. Our game dept in their infamous wisdom has just about eradicated our game in the state of Washington. About the only thing that has done well here is the Wolves, cougars, and bears. I realize Idaho is not to far behind us with game animals, but a least you can hunt wolves and the state is more outdoorsman friendly than Washington. As always with everything I say this is strictly my own opinion. Good luck in your decision.

If my decision were being made for quality of hunting, I probably wouldn't choose Washington or Idaho. I have been hunting out of state with my brother in Wyoming for years, and will continue. I think they have one of the best game management approaches of any western state.

thanks for the input! this is a move that is 2-3 years away anyways.

syoungs

FNG
The tri cities is a pretty decent place to live. were only a few hours away from everything it seems like. The tag system here is broken in Washington imo. lots of point creep. people like to complain because there are no animals left, but people still get it done every year in this state. If I had a choice, id be hard pressed to choose Washington over Idaho though.

slvrslngr

WKR
Yes there are general season deer/elk hunts for rifle, muzzleloader and archery. Get a paper copy of the regs, I find they're easier to sort through. Figuring out all the nuances of Washingtons regs may take some effort, finding a knowledgable hunter to sit down and explain some of the details is quite helpful. Despite some of the other comments, there are still good opportunities for big game hunting in Washington. It's one of the few states where you can choose to hunt 3 species of deer and 2 elk species. Good luck with your move!

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
Yes there are general season deer/elk hunts for rifle, muzzleloader and archery. Get a paper copy of the regs, I find they're easier to sort through. Figuring out all the nuances of Washingtons regs may take some effort, finding a knowledgable hunter to sit down and explain some of the details is quite helpful. Despite some of the other comments, there are still good opportunities for big game hunting in Washington. It's one of the few states where you can choose to hunt 3 species of deer and 2 elk species. Good luck with your move!
Thanks! Unfortunately I'm 2-3 years out but Washington is looking more and more likely

Wrench

WKR
Washington seasons pale in comparison to idaho in terms of length, weapon choices and opportunities, with the exception of whitetail deer. Washington does have great deer hunting.

Elk season in Washington is 99 hours of legal light and in that time you can hunt high pressure areas with moderate elk numbers for a spike bull only, or you can try low density areas for any bull and in a few locations any elk.

Bird hunting is very good. Expect to never draw a tag. I'm in it my entire life (in mid 40s now) and have never drawn a bull tag.

Living in Washington will be mildly less disgusting than California politically, but quickly catching up.

Given the opportunity to choose, I'd drive the 12 miles from post falls.

I’ve lived in WA for almost 15 years... have killed about 10 to 1 animals in other states and still have yet to draw a tag as a resident. WA, OR, CA all cut from the same cloth. Great states run by extremely liberal cities and great resources that are accessed by too many people. And WDFW sells tags, not real opportunity.

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
I lived in western WA for 14 years before moving back to MT. I found I really had to work at finding access spots in the beginning. I used a lot of commercial timber land and quickly found areas for deer/bear. Fall bear season is quite long and success rates can be very high. After a year, I started going east and hiking for elk. I was fortunate enough to find a high degree of success hunting blacktail and spike elk, but the modern rifle season is super short (3 weeks for deer) about 1 week for elk and they over lap a week. A person really gets 3-weeks total and Western WA hunting is wet, so maximizeing time, planning, and trips is essential.

If you treat 48-weeks a year like a scouting trip, it’s a fun and challenging place to be outdoors. Western WA blacktail hunting is one of the hardest things I have ever done and certainly made me a much better woodsman and hunter. I exclusively used handguns because of the terrain and vegetation.

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve lived in WA for almost 15 years... have killed about 10 to 1 animals in other states and still have yet to draw a tag as a resident. WA, OR, CA all cut from the same cloth. Great states run by extremely liberal cities and great resources that are accessed by too many people. And WDFW sells tags, not real opportunity.
Its too bad what has happened to our states. amazing states where all choices are made by the liberal residents of a hand full of cities. LA, San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle decide what will happen for the entire west coast.

Its too bad what has happened to our states. amazing states where all choices are made by the liberal residents of a hand full of cities. LA, San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle decide what will happen for the entire west coast.
For what it's worth, we're moving out of the west coast this weekend. Good luck to all of those that stay... I'm leaving many points for elk and deer on the table and don't ever see a reason to come back. Too bad I can't gift them to someone!

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
For what it's worth, we're moving out of the west coast this weekend. Good luck to all of those that stay... I'm leaving many points for elk and deer on the table and don't ever see a reason to come back. Too bad I can't gift them to someone!
Good luck! where are you going

psirus7

WKR
Dang! I’m moving to Spokane from KS next summer and am bummed to hear about this. Sounds like I’ll still be driving a bit for good opportunities.

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
Dang! I’m moving to Spokane from KS next summer and am bummed to hear about this. Sounds like I’ll still be driving a bit for good opportunities.
Idaho is 20 minutes from Spokane :) move to post falls ID if you prefer idaho.