Washington hunting questions

Thanks Justin. I have an office in Spokane so I spend a bit of time there. we are looking at Tricities though, as we have some very good friends there.

I am biased, I was born and raised in the Tri Cities so take this for what its worth... Spokane trumps the living experience of the Tri Cities hands down. You have far more outdoor activities to enjoy in the Spokane/CDA area. The scenery is much better as well.

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
I am biased, I was born and raised in the Tri Cities so take this for what its worth... Spokane trumps the living experience of the Tri Cities hands down. You have far more outdoor activities to enjoy in the Spokane/CDA area. The scenery is much better as well.
I dont disagree, I think Spokane/CDA is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. here are the reasons Tricities would win

1. our best friends moved there 2 years ago and our families/kids were extremely close
2. It has a more mild climate with less snow/dreariness - Wife is born and raised in Southern California
3. we love boating and would like to live on the Columbia River

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I dont disagree, I think Spokane/CDA is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. here are the reasons Tricities would win

1. our best friends moved there 2 years ago and our families/kids were extremely close
2. It has a more mild climate with less snow/dreariness - Wife is born and raised in Southern California
3. we love boating and would like to live on the Columbia River

While the tri cities sit in a basin and has less snow fall I'm not sure i would sat its more mild of a climate. Our summers are for sure hotter.

Just a heads up, there are not a ton of truly waterfront homes. There are a lot of close to homes or water view. If you do find one that has a dock, make sure the purchase includes the dock license.

I'm moving CA > WA too and came here with the exact same question as OP. I hope all the negative replies are just to discourage folks from moving to WA... otherwise I'd be pretty heart broken. I was hoping hunting would be better up there.

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
I'm moving CA > WA too and came here with the exact same question as OP. I hope all the negative replies are just to discourage folks from moving to WA... otherwise I'd be pretty heart broken. I was hoping hunting would be better up there.
there is some exaggeration I am sure, but Washington isn't exactly a hunting mecca. I work with a lot of people in Spokane, and there is a reason they all travel across the border to hunt Idaho.

that being said, it is a hell of a lot better than CA, of that I am sure!

where did you move?

Washington is an "Opportunity" state. Meaning they lean toward offering everyone the opportunity to get out and hunt rather than try to offer any sort of quality.
The state tries to maximize short term revenue from wildlife rather than manage for healthy herds.
Washington draws with a bonus point (raffle) system. Washington draw points are like pesos, pretty worthless. No real ability to plan likely draws. Any of the mid to top draws will be less than 1% draw odds. Basically once in a lifetime draws.
Hoof rot and Weyerhaeuser locking their lands and then charging access has pretty well crippled western Washington elk hunting. The SE Corner has wolf issues. I'm not sure the cause of Central elk demise, but tag numbers and hunter complaints make it seem like the demise is there as well.
Deer are scraping along. Land access is an issue and numbers seem to be declining. Probably a hundred reasons.
East side elk you get to chase spikes while hoping to draw a bull tag. Low draw odds.
Western side elk you fight land access and crowds hoping someone in camp gets a rag horn.
Success rates are somewhere around 7% for elk.
I've been here 20 years. Seems like its been a slow decline the entire time with the rate of decline getting faster quickly once hoof rot came on the scene.
I hunt several other states now days. Washington is a bench warmer. I have several friends that have quit hunting Washington and only hunt other states.
There is a reason Idaho was so crowded with Non-res.

Bear is a bright spot. Pretty easy spring draws and general tag fall hunts with pretty good odds of success.

I think everyone hopes Washington pulls through and improves, but there doesn't look to be anything to give hope of change coming. Maybe all the Trump era logging will help if the timber companies lay off the herbicide.

Sawfish

Lil-Rokslider
I lived in western WA for 14 years before moving back to MT. I found I really had to work at finding access spots in the beginning. I used a lot of commercial timber land and quickly found areas for deer/bear. Fall bear season is quite long and success rates can be very high. After a year, I started going east and hiking for elk. I was fortunate enough to find a high degree of success hunting blacktail and spike elk, but the modern rifle season is super short (3 weeks for deer) about 1 week for elk and they over lap a week. A person really gets 3-weeks total and Western WA hunting is wet, so maximizeing time, planning, and trips is essential.

If you treat 48-weeks a year like a scouting trip, it’s a fun and challenging place to be outdoors. Western WA blacktail hunting is one of the hardest things I have ever done and certainly made me a much better woodsman and hunter. I exclusively used handguns because of the terrain and vegetation.
That answered my question re: Handgun Hunting in WA. Thanks.

there is some exaggeration I am sure, but Washington isn't exactly a hunting mecca. I work with a lot of people in Spokane, and there is a reason they all travel across the border to hunt Idaho.

that being said, it is a hell of a lot better than CA, of that I am sure!

where did you move?

I'll be moving to the Seattle area where I have family.

dieselchessy has pretty much nailed it in #28! Plus, you can insert most Western States names in this thread, instead of WA. Unfortunately, that's just the price we pay for evolution. "Manifest Destiny" at it's finest.

50yo lifer from Central Wa, plus one set of grandparents were born here 100 years ago. What a state "it was"! I'm sure several members here can say "we" were fortunate enough to grow up and see and experience all the opportunities we once had. It really saddens me how this majestic state has had to adjust to the mass amount of humanity that has invaded it. Honestly, that's a selfish emotion though, as everyone has the right to seek out where to be live, work, and be happy. I could expound on "what you missed; the deer, elk, birds, salmon/steelhead" that I experienced, but that's just bragging. I'll give you a little more state info instead..if it's boring I do apologize, just skip by.

The overpopulation from my generation and the ones following us (including the influx of the retiree's as well), has created a tremendous vacuum on the available resources. The pendulum has swung too far for us to be able to ever counteract the damage that has been done to the ecosystem to support the required infrastructure that was needed for the US, and subsequently to continue to sustain the flourishing economy that most of us have benefitted from ("for every action, there's an equal and opposite reaction.."). Deforestation, stream and river manipulation, the "abuse" Puget Sound has withstood (volumes on this), shrub-steppe winter range depletion, re-introduction of alpha predators, general urban sprawl, agricultural overdose (orchards, row crops, grazing, pesticides, etc), and this list goes on and on. As a result of these extenuating variables, our big game/and migratory fish #'s have dropped significantly in the past 4 decades. Remember; of the 12 Western States, WA is the 2nd highest in POPULATION, yet the 2nd SMALLEST!

WDFW had to react to these changing times by shortening and changing seasons, implementing restrictions on weapon/season (we didn't have to select your weapon/season when I was young), stipulations on buck/bull hunts, etc. It all boils down to there are too many people for the limited amount of critters and available hunting areas. In hindsight, could there have been other/better choices made, probably so...but hindsight is 20/20. Since the implementation of the point system (1996), I've applied yearly and have been drawn for a "Quality Deer/Elk tag" once each in 25 years. I agree, as said above that the drawing is basically another revenue grab for the state. I think it was around $300/ea for the boy and I for all the tags/permit entries/hunt&fish combo. This year there was a "special" if you basically bought everything, which we did, So like $600-ish combined to hunt or fish all year...some think it's too much? I'm paying it regardless.

I'm fortunate that for the last 25 years I have had access to some private ground for mule deer hunting. That's where I've taught my son to hunt as well. Honestly, if I had to take my kid out on the public ground with me when he was 5yo during modern rifle...he wouldn't have had much fun I suspect. Then when he started hunting himself at 9yo, that sentiment still rings true. It would have been much more difficult to have the success that he tasted so young, on the public ground in Wa. I take my hat off to the folks that don't have access for their kids like I happen to do. Elk is another story, as I live adjacent to the " Colockum elk area", and we won't even hunt it! Complete and total CF during modern, all for a "true" spike only. I have elk in my pasture late summer/fall, and throughout the "hood" as well (nocturnal mainly). We put-in for special permits and get a cow draw every 5 years or so, in fact I have a cow tag now that goes until 12/31. Maybe we'll get a branched bull someday. Might go ML next year for elk, as I'm getting up in points again..just depends on what's available.

Essentially WA is a beautiful state, with a very liberal government, but a good economy (well...we HAD a good economy). Hunting/fishing opportunities might be better where you are from, that just depends. A strong tribal population here, with multiple treaty tribes making up 1-2% of the state population, which are eligible for up to 50% of certain species as well (I'm rusty on my tribal doctrine, so don't hold me to this info). Property prices...depends on where you're from? I may come off sounding like a dreaded "environmentalist" which I'm not at all! I'm a realist, who has made my living in the construction world, plus I have several friends within WDFW and local tribal agencies. They share their frustrations at times with management policies, as we all have bosses that we have to report to.

In closing, it's a real cool state! You can tell a "real" Washingtonian that when we go out of state hunting, the other locals think we're local too! BTW, we're looking at moving out of state when the kid goes to college though...

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider

dieselchessy has pretty much nailed it in #28! Plus, you can insert most Western States names in this thread, instead of WA. Unfortunately, that's just the price we pay for evolution. "Manifest Destiny" at it's finest.

50yo lifer from Central Wa, plus one set of grandparents were born here 100 years ago. What a state "it was"! I'm sure several members here can say "we" were fortunate enough to grow up and see and experience all the opportunities we once had. It really saddens me how this majestic state has had to adjust to the mass amount of humanity that has invaded it. Honestly, that's a selfish emotion though, as everyone has the right to seek out where to be live, work, and be happy. I could expound on "what you missed; the deer, elk, birds, salmon/steelhead" that I experienced, but that's just bragging. I'll give you a little more state info instead..if it's boring I do apologize, just skip by.

The overpopulation from my generation and the ones following us (including the influx of the retiree's as well), has created a tremendous vacuum on the available resources. The pendulum has swung too far for us to be able to ever counteract the damage that has been done to the ecosystem to support the required infrastructure that was needed for the US, and subsequently to continue to sustain the flourishing economy that most of us have benefitted from ("for every action, there's an equal and opposite reaction.."). Deforestation, stream and river manipulation, the "abuse" Puget Sound has withstood (volumes on this), shrub-steppe winter range depletion, re-introduction of alpha predators, general urban sprawl, agricultural overdose (orchards, row crops, grazing, pesticides, etc), and this list goes on and on. As a result of these extenuating variables, our big game/and migratory fish #'s have dropped significantly in the past 4 decades. Remember; of the 12 Western States, WA is the 2nd highest in POPULATION, yet the 2nd SMALLEST!

WDFW had to react to these changing times by shortening and changing seasons, implementing restrictions on weapon/season (we didn't have to select your weapon/season when I was young), stipulations on buck/bull hunts, etc. It all boils down to there are too many people for the limited amount of critters and available hunting areas. In hindsight, could there have been other/better choices made, probably so...but hindsight is 20/20. Since the implementation of the point system (1996), I've applied yearly and have been drawn for a "Quality Deer/Elk tag" once each in 25 years. I agree, as said above that the drawing is basically another revenue grab for the state. I think it was around $300/ea for the boy and I for all the tags/permit entries/hunt&fish combo. This year there was a "special" if you basically bought everything, which we did, So like $600-ish combined to hunt or fish all year...some think it's too much? I'm paying it regardless.

I'm fortunate that for the last 25 years I have had access to some private ground for mule deer hunting. That's where I've taught my son to hunt as well. Honestly, if I had to take my kid out on the public ground with me when he was 5yo during modern rifle...he wouldn't have had much fun I suspect. Then when he started hunting himself at 9yo, that sentiment still rings true. It would have been much more difficult to have the success that he tasted so young, on the public ground in Wa. I take my hat off to the folks that don't have access for their kids like I happen to do. Elk is another story, as I live adjacent to the " Colockum elk area", and we won't even hunt it! Complete and total CF during modern, all for a "true" spike only. I have elk in my pasture late summer/fall, and throughout the "hood" as well (nocturnal mainly). We put-in for special permits and get a cow draw every 5 years or so, in fact I have a cow tag now that goes until 12/31. Maybe we'll get a branched bull someday. Might go ML next year for elk, as I'm getting up in points again..just depends on what's available.

Essentially WA is a beautiful state, with a very liberal government, but a good economy (well...we HAD a good economy). Hunting/fishing opportunities might be better where you are from, that just depends. A strong tribal population here, with multiple treaty tribes making up 1-2% of the state population, which are eligible for up to 50% of certain species as well (I'm rusty on my tribal doctrine, so don't hold me to this info). Property prices...depends on where you're from? I may come off sounding like a dreaded "environmentalist" which I'm not at all! I'm a realist, who has made my living in the construction world, plus I have several friends within WDFW and local tribal agencies. They share their frustrations at times with management policies, as we all have bosses that we have to report to.

In closing, it's a real cool state! You can tell a "real" Washingtonian that when we go out of state hunting, the other locals think we're local too! BTW, we're looking at moving out of state when the kid goes to college though...
excellent read! and you do sound like a environmentalist. Because TRUE outdoorsman care about the environment more than anyone.

you hit the nail on the head though. with population increase comes damage to the enviroment, there is no way around this. Another reality is that, the larger the population density, the more you need rules and restrictions.

I currently live in California and there are many i know here who have similar stories of what it was like 50 years ago.

what will we be saying in 50 years?!

thanks for your insight.
Owen

Coming from California folks might think Washington is pretty cool. When I go to Idaho I think its pretty good and when I go to Wyoming I think its great. Alaska is awesome as well, but I grew up there.
Local folks in all places tend to mutter about the local problems.

A lot has to do with what your used to. If your used to the access issues and hunt quality in California, you may well love Washington.

Chase_D

FNG
Does anyone know, or can point me in the right direction, to where I can find out which units in Washington are OTC for elk? I've looked on their website, here and google and have found nothing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The units that are OTC for a given weapon choice are listed in the regs under the "General" elk seasons. They are broke up per side of the state, antler restrictions, dates, weapon choice, ect….

Just download the regs, or download the Elk section of the regs and then you can look at it.

Go here:

JohnIrish

FNG
The biggest disadvantage to WA hunting.....you have to pick your weapon. You cannot bow hunt and then decide to rifle hunt. You can use a less weapon so you can bow hunt during the rifle season....if that makes any sense.

For an Eastern modern firearm Elk tag, it used to be possible to draw a cow tag... 30% chance of getting drawn. Not sure what happened, but now it down to a 3% chance for a cow tag. I heard weather was a factor? You can try for a spike but little chance now for any success at drawing a bull or cow tag.

Our regs are confusing as shit and don't get any clearer year-to-year.

I've always thought our hunting opportunity vs other states may be a "grass is always greener" scenario, but I wouldn't know as I've spent my entire hunting career in WA so it's all I know.

Bear hunting -- great opportunity. Cougar -- used to be good but you can't hound them anymore, plenty of cats though. Wolves -- can't hunt. Coyotes -- rampant everywhere, including major West Side towns/cities. Migratory bird -- excellent, you can kill birds all day every day on either side of the state with the right access. Moose/Sheep/Goat -- OIL tags, good luck drawing...I have 20+ points in most and doubt I will ever hold a tag.

I think our Deer hunting is underrated once you've "figured it out", but you have to put in years of effort and a lot of boot miles. I think that's true of any state if you want to kill mature deer though. I have been going to the exact same deer camp in WA since I was 3 months old, and it took me until my early 20's to kill a legal buck...my first season packing a gun was at 10 y/o. That being said, we now see 1-3 160"+ Muley's every year in our unit and we've killed 4 bucks between 160-190" in the last few years between 3 guys. Granted we spend the entire season dawn-to-dusk on the same three knobs with the same three guys glassing, and glassing, and glassing, and glassing some more, and have hunted the same valley as a family since the 1920's. Deer quality is definitely there, numbers most definitely are not. I would honestly say that if you can consistently kill a Mule Deer over 140" (or any 4x), or any Whitetail/Blacktail every year, most guys will tell you that you've got WA deer figured out.

Elk hunting -- phew we've gone downhill in the last few years. I have zero problem getting into bulls daily in Eastern WA, but it's now spike only and your chances of shooting one are horrendous. I think I've seen two spikes in the last 5-6 years in what's considered one of the best GMU's in the state, and one was in the summer. Hell this year I only ran into ONE other camp in the backcountry chasing elk when I'd usually see a dozen...I think everyone is demoralized. I used to draw a bull tag in said GMU about every 4 years on the dot, I'm now at year 6 of not drawing for whatever reason. Western WA is great for elk too -- if you're tribal or drew a bull tag. Most of the prime west side hunting is locked up by private companies or peoples, and arguably the best west side bull unit is one of the most competitive hunts in the state for drawing.

@JohnIrish -- from what I've heard, the Yak's shooting elk on the winter range, rampant poaching between Selah-Vantage-Ellensburg, wolves, and fires have been the primary factors contributing to the Yakima Herds decline.

slvrslngr

WKR
One thing to keep in mind concerning elk in Washington, is that the overall elk population has never been very high. I think the last numbers I’ve seen put the population for the entire state at 40,000. With the explosion of people coming to Washington in the last 20 years it’s inevitable that opportunities to hunt them will be affected and not for the better. It’s still possible to get a good elk though, my friend killed a 368” bull in a draw unit this past September. While I understand the frustration it’s not all doom and gloom.

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
Our regs are confusing as shit and don't get any clearer year-to-year.

I've always thought our hunting opportunity vs other states may be a "grass is always greener" scenario, but I wouldn't know as I've spent my entire hunting career in WA so it's all I know.

Bear hunting -- great opportunity. Cougar -- used to be good but you can't hound them anymore, plenty of cats though. Wolves -- can't hunt. Coyotes -- rampant everywhere, including major West Side towns/cities. Migratory bird -- excellent, you can kill birds all day every day on either side of the state with the right access. Moose/Sheep/Goat -- OIL tags, good luck drawing...I have 20+ points in most and doubt I will ever hold a tag.

I think our Deer hunting is underrated once you've "figured it out", but you have to put in years of effort and a lot of boot miles. I think that's true of any state if you want to kill mature deer though. I have been going to the exact same deer camp in WA since I was 3 months old, and it took me until my early 20's to kill a legal buck...my first season packing a gun was at 10 y/o. That being said, we now see 1-3 160"+ Muley's every year in our unit and we've killed 4 bucks between 160-190" in the last few years between 3 guys. Granted we spend the entire season dawn-to-dusk on the same three knobs with the same three guys glassing, and glassing, and glassing, and glassing some more, and have hunted the same valley as a family since the 1920's. Deer quality is definitely there, numbers most definitely are not. I would honestly say that if you can consistently kill a Mule Deer over 140" (or any 4x), or any Whitetail/Blacktail every year, most guys will tell you that you've got WA deer figured out.

Elk hunting -- phew we've gone downhill in the last few years. I have zero problem getting into bulls daily in Eastern WA, but it's now spike only and your chances of shooting one are horrendous. I think I've seen two spikes in the last 5-6 years in what's considered one of the best GMU's in the state, and one was in the summer. Hell this year I only ran into ONE other camp in the backcountry chasing elk when I'd usually see a dozen...I think everyone is demoralized. I used to draw a bull tag in said GMU about every 4 years on the dot, I'm now at year 6 of not drawing for whatever reason. Western WA is great for elk too -- if you're tribal or drew a bull tag. Most of the prime west side hunting is locked up by private companies or peoples, and arguably the best west side bull unit is one of the most competitive hunts in the state for drawing.

@JohnIrish -- from what I've heard, the Yak's shooting elk on the winter range, rampant poaching between Selah-Vantage-Ellensburg, wolves, and fires have been the primary factors contributing to the Yakima Herds decline.

great read, thanks for your time writing this! I was just in Tricities visiting. while there, I pulled out Onx and searched the areas. not a lot of public land in south east washington!

MR5X5

FNG
The best forum/resource for WA hunting info I am aware of is at:

Dale, the site owner is a guide/outfitter. Bearpaw outfitters. They work hard to keep the site relevant and under control.

Last edited: