Washington mule deer

Jslingsby

FNG
First year Hunting mules in Washington, I'm looking to hunt the wanatchees, probably GMU 335. I have a few places picked out that I am going to head out into in the next few weeks. Anyone have any pointers for these areas on what these deer do?

Wa muleys are very tough to hunt and most guys that know anything about them are pretty closed mouthed. But they are still mule deer and behave as such. I've yet to have luck in tagging a big one here in WA as I'm focusing more on other states but we have some good ones around no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
First year Hunting mules in Washington, I'm looking to hunt the wanatchees, probably GMU 335. I have a few places picked out that I am going to head out into in the next few weeks. Anyone have any pointers for these areas on what these deer do?
GMU 335 is the Teanaway range, not the Wenatchees, but both are good places to look.

Both get hit HARD and I mean HARD. There will be a handful of camps on every turn out throughout both GMUs.

If you're backpacking in, then that's a whole different story, there are hundreds of basins back in there that are just waiting to be explored.

I spend A LOT of time in unit 335.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Lukex24

FNG
Unless you live in WA, can scout all summer, or have someone that's in the "know", I wouldn't put WA mule deer on the "destination" map. Most of the good mule deer areas are all private land. Granted, the teanaway isn't all private, but like ianpadron said, you'll probably want to hit the back country to avoid the crowds and actually find any good animals.

ianpadron

WKR
Unless you live in WA, can scout all summer, or have someone that's in the "know", I wouldn't put WA mule deer on the "destination" map. Most of the good mule deer areas are all private land. Granted, the teanaway isn't all private, but like ianpadron said, you'll probably want to hit the back country to avoid the crowds and actually find any good animals.
Yup.

There are some pigs up there but it takes me most of my summer to find them. Then you have to try and kill one...Going in blind in WA is tough.

If you want to hit the ground hunting and see shooters every day there are better options, Idaho, Montana, etc.

jimmy33

WKR
Best WA Mulie
e27dde973aed9e606b36ba0bb66a22db.jpg
to date

jimmy33

WKR
What makes you guys think it's an Idaho deer?

jimmy33

WKR
The above is an as he lay Washington buck

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the eastmans elevated podcast with Ryan Lampers. He's a Washington guy that kills giant bucks consistently. Pretty sure he's going balls deep in the backcountry though.

^x2

Yup Ryan is one of the most badass dudes you'll meet. I've learned more from him than just about anyone in terms of how to hunt in WA.

His main approach is that if you seek rugged, steep, nasty terrain, you WILL find solitude and you WILL find mature bucks.

Something you'll notice about WA, as evidenced by Jimmy's pic, is that bucks in the Cascades have the biggest bodies of any Mule Deer I've seen. 300 pounders are a lot more common than you'd think.

If my buddy wasn't so damn secretive I'd post a photo of a special draw late tag he notched on a buck a few years back that was just a hair under 400 pounds, I kid you not.

When he showed me the pic I thought it was photoshopped, but they are out there!

You cant spout off bout a 400lber and not show us what a tease

^x2

Yup Ryan is one of the most badass dudes you'll meet. I've learned more from him than just about anyone in terms of how to hunt in WA.

His main approach is that if you seek rugged, steep, nasty terrain, you WILL find solitude and you WILL find mature bucks.

Something you'll notice about WA, as evidenced by Jimmy's pic, is that bucks in the Cascades have the biggest bodies of any Mule Deer I've seen. 300 pounders are a lot more common than you'd think.

If my buddy wasn't so damn secretive I'd post a photo of a special draw late tag he notched on a buck a few years back that was just a hair under 400 pounds, I kid you not.

When he showed me the pic I thought it was photoshopped, but they are out there!

I've been hunting Idaho, CO, and WA pretty consistently for 4-5 years and haven't noticed any bigger bodies anywhere.... here's a Colorado buck we killed last year that had a tank of a body:
de8e7693efc83e29bf60173d45c3dc98.jpg

And an Idaho buck of mine from a few years back....
f0137e0c66198bdff1a7d5f502f6fb6b.jpg

I think mature muley bucks just have big bodies no matter what western state they are in. Sure would love to see a pic of that 400 pounder!!

Mike

Grundy53

WKR
Washington can be a good place to find nice bucks if you get it dialed in. However I don't think I would waste my time and money if I lived out of state.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I've been hunting Idaho, CO, and WA pretty consistently for 4-5 years and haven't noticed any bigger bodies anywhere.... here's a Colorado buck we killed last year that had a tank of a body:
de8e7693efc83e29bf60173d45c3dc98.jpg

And an Idaho buck of mine from a few years back....
f0137e0c66198bdff1a7d5f502f6fb6b.jpg

I think mature muley bucks just have big bodies no matter what western state they are in. Sure would love to see a pic of that 400 pounder!!

Mike

Those are tanks!!! Nice work.

Wrench

WKR
My wife's first buck. I've done pretty well myself. Wa has decent deer, but expect unreasonable pressure. 20181019_134313.jpg