Washington Roosevelt Elk Hunting

Doddse1

FNG
Hey Everyone,

My name is Elliott and I am new to the forum. I hope everyone is safe and not going too stir crazy right now. I have really enjoyed reading all of the content on here. Although, sometimes it can be overwhelming. I am in the Military Stationed at Lewis, Mcchord in Washington. Due to my Job, I have not had the luxury of having a lot of time off until the COVID 19 stuff forced me to stay home. Because of this, I have been able to scout and E-Scout a lot more than I normally can. I have a couple of questions and would like some guidance regarding where to start for Elk Season this year.
I purchased a Weyerhauser pass this past late season when I returned from deployment and did not see a single elk on the areas I walked and scouted. Saw a ton of blacktails, couldn't get a shot, and then got busy and season is over. Is there anyone that would know if these Timber passes are worth the time and money? If not, would it be better for me to just heavily scout public land (thats not closed due to the virus) further south towards the border with Oregon? I will deploy again after the new year and then PCS so this may be my only season here, and I really want to figure out where there may be more elk numbers than the areas around me. Im not asking for Waypoints or anything. I respect that everyone has their own numbers. I really would just like to know if these passes are worth the time and money and if not where someone would reccomend a beginner to start. Sorry for the long post, hope everyone is safe and healthy.

It depends on what area you get a pass in. The area south of Olympia and west of I-5 has fair numbers of elk. The Olympic Peninsula and Mount Saint Helens are also good places for Roosevelts.

Oregon

WKR
I know plenty of folks who have bought Weyerhaeuser access passes in Oregon.
50/50 review. The guys who get keys to drive the property love it. The guys who buy walk in access say it’s no different than all the proper/cool/awesome timber company lands that allow FREE walk in access.
Pay to play is getting to be the new norm.
Don’t mean I have to like it!

OP
Doddse1

Doddse1

FNG
Thanks Guys I really appreciate the help. I will be Archery hunting only this season. I am learning the ins and outs of this forum but for perspective, I have a North Pe Ell weyerhaueser walk in pass and I agree with @Oregon 's statement about how it doesn't seem to me to be worth the squeeze. @Elk slayer I was considering a Drive in pass for the South Pe Ell weyerhaeuser just because it seems like the elk numbers just aren't in the north. I have considered the Olypmics and Mt. St Helens as well.

Have yall had any experience with the other companies? I was on my OnX and it looks like Rayonier, and other timber companies have similar deals where you can get a drive in or walk in pass. Or do you guys think its just going to basically be commit to one area, scout it heavily and hunt as hard as I can?

Porterka

FNG
Are you hunting rifle, archery, or muzzleloader?

This plays a big role in success and determine the correct area to start looking in my opinion. I hunt north sound, the numbers are low up here, there is no opportunity for rifle in my opinion, the orange army gets out and about and with the pressure the elk know where to go which up here is across the Gmu boundary you can’t hunt. Archery and muzzleloader there is less pressure and better chances if you do your scouting and have a good game plan.

Down south I haven’t hunted enough to know. My assumption is that it is the same except in areas where elk cover large tracts of land.

Thanks Guys I really appreciate the help. I will be Archery hunting only this season. I am learning the ins and outs of this forum but for perspective, I have a North Pe Ell weyerhaueser walk in pass and I agree with @Oregon 's statement about how it doesn't seem to me to be worth the squeeze. @Elk slayer I was considering a Drive in pass for the South Pe Ell weyerhaeuser just because it seems like the elk numbers just aren't in the north. I have considered the Olypmics and Mt. St Helens as well.

Have yall had any experience with the other companies? I was on my OnX and it looks like Rayonier, and other timber companies have similar deals where you can get a drive in or walk in pass. Or do you guys think its just going to basically be commit to one area, scout it heavily and hunt as hard as I can?
North Pe Ell should have plenty of elk in multiple locations, never had trouble finding animals in there. Walk in (not motorized)does limit your coverage area somewhat and with drive in guys going past you it can be discouraging. I had not motorized for Aberdeen area one year because I was late getting a permit. There always seemed to be a truck or two driving in our already in even when I walked from a locked gate. I did shoot a buck that year in an area where a truck drove out as I was going in. Didn't get an elk that year though but did see some, only a mile from 101. Had walk in for Pe Ell North last year in December and we were on elk that first snow day within an hour of daylight. Certainly don't be expecting a trophy bull but if you're after anything legal you should have opportunities.

OP
Doddse1

Doddse1

FNG
Yea I was not able to scout it as much as I would have liked I spent a decent amount of time in the north and west part but didnt really see much sign. Did you hear a lot of dudes calling or is it more stalking or just blind Luck?

OP
Doddse1

Doddse1

FNG
This plays a big role in success and determine the correct area to start looking in my opinion. I hunt north sound, the numbers are low up here, there is no opportunity for rifle in my opinion, the orange army gets out and about and with the pressure the elk know where to go which up here is across the Gmu boundary you can’t hunt. Archery and muzzleloader there is less pressure and better chances if you do your scouting and have a good game plan.

Down south I haven’t hunted enough to know. My assumption is that it is the same except in areas where elk cover large tracts of land.
I am trying to avoid the orange army haha. And honestly a lot of people roaming through public land. I'm leaning more towards a drive in this year mainly for access reasons and for the ability to actually camp on the timber land. The walk in pass doesnt allow camping on the actual land

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I can only speak for Oregon I have purchased Weyerhaeuser access For three years. These are areas that before Weyerhaeuser took over the land during hunting seasons the gates were open to the public. Now that they sell passes I see more people driving the roads then when it was open to everyone. Last season I mostly hunted public land to get away from people. Also from my experience a lot of the people buying these permits that are not locals are really rude and inconsiderate to other hunters. I had my wife set up on a heard of elk waiting for a legal bull to come out, some people saw my spotting scope out raced under us and spooked the elk out completely.

Yea I was not able to scout it as much as I would have liked I spent a decent amount of time in the north and west part but didnt really see much sign. Did you hear a lot of dudes calling or is it more stalking or just blind Luck?
No calling by hunters, but some cow calls. This was in December. We were along the North border and in the northwest corner which is actually Aberdeen area, of the fall river unit 672. Mostly stalking or tracking.

OP
Doddse1

Doddse1

FNG
@Dirtscoots sorry you had that experience man. That kind of stuff is really frustrating to deal with. If I get a chance this year to go to Oregon. I will stick with the Public lands. I was looking at unit 10 or 12. @Piscatory_4 I too think its frustrating that you cant camp with the walk in pass. This year, whichever weyco pass I get I will be getting a drive in. I got sick of being passed by vehicles and walking 45 minutes to get somewhere I could get in 10 in my truck.