Washington Snow

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
Good Morning!

I spent the summer watching several bucks in their summer range in the WA Cascades and Rifle season starts Saturday! This morning we woke up to significant snowfall down to 4500 feet with a foot to two more in the forecast. Im looking for some resources about how snow moves mule deer? If anyone can link some here I would appreciate it!

thank you!

dr.derek

FNG
Have you hunted the previous years with snow above 5k? Seems like every summer buck started moving early in the snow

Been seeing activity at 4k and below.

Had the Manson late tag in 2016 and even with knee-high snow the buck we ended up killing was rutting at ~6.5k.

Depends on where the food is at.

OP
A

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
Have you hunted the previous years with snow above 5k? Seems like every summer buck started moving early in the snow
We always start well above 5000’ but the snow forecasted this year seems much more than normal. Although it seems that they are walking the predictions back now

OP
A

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
Been seeing activity at 4k and below.

Had the Manson late tag in 2016 and even with knee-high snow the buck we ended up killing was rutting at ~6.5k.

Depends on where the food is at.
Great info thank you!!

We always start well above 5000’ but the snow forecasted this year seems much more than normal. Although it seems that they are walking the predictions back now

Farmer's Almanac forecasted a bunch of snow from what I remember, and then NOAA and Accuweather said they were full of BS and that it would be an average (mild) year.

Who knows what will really happen...