Washington state antlerless tag filled

Gutpile

Lil-Rokslider
After 16 years of applying I was finally lucky enough to draw a WA state moose tag. Well, I FINALLY got it done today. Not gonna lie, I was getting a bit worried. We saw bulls almost every time we went out but just weren't seeing cows. I passed a cow on day one, it was very warm and I really wanted to do it with a bow. Fast forward 5 1/2 weeks and 7 trips up and I put the bow away and broke out the 7 mag. I saw this girl walk through and opening at 300 yards and then stand behind some small trees for an hour. I wasn't 100% sure it was a cow because I just had a glimpse right at sun up. She ended up bedding down for another hour out of sight. She got up to stretch and layed down again in an opening behind some small pines. I had no clear shot on the vitals so I decided to wait for her to stand. We ALL no what that means, this could take hours. 40 minutes went by and I had to make something happen. I figured I'd shoot and if I miss her head maybe she'd stand and I'd lung her. I dialed the scope to 300 yards, put the cross hair right below her ear and touched off. Dead on impact. Upon reaching her I had hit about 4" to the right of where I aimed which blew out the neck on the base of the skull. No meat loss on this one. I bought an E-Bike for this hunt which was a must. We biked in 7 miles each day (3 today) and without this bike I'd still be up there trying to get this girl out. I was able to get all of the trim, one hind, the head and a front out on the bike cart. (all downhill). My partner carried a front out on his back. We had to make another trip up for the remaining hind. I love walk in areas but this is a daunting hunt when we're talking about something as big as a moose. Anybody who draws west Spokane B better really do some research because without a way to get these out especially for older folks, you've got your work cut out for you especially if it snows! Before I get flamed about the E-bike, I talked to the forester who works this area and he said "WE have no problem with e bikes. They don't tear anything up like quads and they make no noise" Anyways, 16 years worth of points and it's in the books! Thanks Owen!!! I can't imagine doing this job alone!

Attachments

• moose 1.jpg
    moose 1.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 86
  • moose 2.jpg
    moose 2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 84
  • moose 3.jpg
    moose 3.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 78
  • moose 4.jpg
    moose 4.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 83
  • moose 5.jpg
    moose 5.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 87

Broomd

WKR
Well done!, ....love reading hunts like this--hard fought and earned with the pack out.
The e-bike call was +1.....
Enjoy some of the best meat a man can find.

AaronPage

FNG
After 16 years of applying I was finally lucky enough to draw a WA state moose tag. Well, I FINALLY got it done today. Not gonna lie, I was getting a bit worried. We saw bulls almost every time we went out but just weren't seeing cows. I passed a cow on day one, it was very warm and I really wanted to do it with a bow. Fast forward 5 1/2 weeks and 7 trips up and I put the bow away and broke out the 7 mag. I saw this girl walk through and opening at 300 yards and then stand behind some small trees for an hour. I wasn't 100% sure it was a cow because I just had a glimpse right at sun up. She ended up bedding down for another hour out of sight. She got up to stretch and layed down again in an opening behind some small pines. I had no clear shot on the vitals so I decided to wait for her to stand. We ALL no what that means, this could take hours. 40 minutes went by and I had to make something happen. I figured I'd shoot and if I miss her head maybe she'd stand and I'd lung her. I dialed the scope to 300 yards, put the cross hair right below her ear and touched off. Dead on impact. Upon reaching her I had hit about 4" to the right of where I aimed which blew out the neck on the base of the skull. No meat loss on this one. I bought an E-Bike for this hunt which was a must. We biked in 7 miles each day (3 today) and without this bike I'd still be up there trying to get this girl out. I was able to get all of the trim, one hind, the head and a front out on the bike cart. (all downhill). My partner carried a front out on his back. We had to make another trip up for the remaining hind. I love walk in areas but this is a daunting hunt when we're talking about something as big as a moose. Anybody who draws west Spokane B better really do some research because without a way to get these out especially for older folks, you've got your work cut out for you especially if it snows! Before I get flamed about the E-bike, I talked to the forester who works this area and he said "WE have no problem with e bikes. They don't tear anything up like quads and they make no noise" Anyways, 16 years worth of points and it's in the books! Thanks Owen!!! I can't imagine doing this job alone!
Congratulations!

OP
Gutpile

Gutpile

Lil-Rokslider
They’re always so damn big! Why did you take the head?
Probably not necessary but basically proof of sex since it was an antlerless tag. I did have part of the udder attached to a quarter but I just thought maybe I should grab it also just so a game warden didn't ask me the opposite question that you asked. lol. "Where's the head?"

frdlappe

FNG
Congratulations - I drew that tag for 2021. Looking forward to getting over to scout. Did you have to get permission from timber companies?

OP
Gutpile

Gutpile

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations - I drew that tag for 2021. Looking forward to getting over to scout. Did you have to get permission from timber companies?
No I didn't. I'm going to send my cell number to you in a PM. Shoot me a text. I'll put you on them