Washington Upland Bird

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
Sweet season. I do all of my Upland hunting without a dog, and i do decent. I've never gone after pheasants because i've always heard the release sites are kind of crazy. I do most of my grouse hunting up on MT Baker, and Chukar around Chelan, and I rarely leave without something in my vest. It seems like the bird hunting in WA is a hidden gem compared to the Big Game.

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
That’s awesome! Are those wild pheasants your after? Guess I didn’t realize Washington had it going on like that

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
That’s awesome! Are those wild pheasants your after? Guess I didn’t realize Washington had it going on like that

For the most part these were wild pheasants. We did hunt a release site one weekend and killed a few birds that you could absolutely tell were pen raised. However, once we got about 3 miles past the parking lots we started getting roosters that we believe were wild. They looked different and were always runners. It would take Moose much longer to trail and get them to hold vs the handful that were by the truck that pretty much didn't move more than 20' before holding. Aside from that one weekend, all were wild.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sweet season. I do all of my Upland hunting without a dog, and i do decent. I've never gone after pheasants because i've always heard the release sites are kind of crazy. I do most of my grouse hunting up on MT Baker, and Chukar around Chelan, and I rarely leave without something in my vest. It seems like the bird hunting in WA is a hidden gem compared to the Big Game.

Chukar without a dog is impressive!

Spooky how close of a match your buddies Britt's coat is to mine. If Sage wasn't 16 years old I'd think you'd taken her out on bonus hunts while I'm at work :)

She self retired about four years ago now when a rooster ran across the trail and she just looked at me, "Can we go back to the campfire now."

I really miss bird hunting but there's no way I'm leaving her behind while packing the vest and shotgun. At least fishing is pretty good that time of year but yea I love bird hunting!!!

It looks like you had a great season! I was fortunate enough to get out and try upland hunting in earnest for the first time this last winter. We got into the chukar and I am hooked! The terrain can be tough, and uniquely beautiful. It’s a great way to keep the moss off your back!

Attachments

• 0597779F-C80B-40F6-A929-3156721C6022.jpeg
    0597779F-C80B-40F6-A929-3156721C6022.jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 23
  • C0E58819-C2B0-4CD8-8AFB-EDD750D00CE3.jpeg
    C0E58819-C2B0-4CD8-8AFB-EDD750D00CE3.jpeg
    359.4 KB · Views: 25
  • C2A36779-D27A-4735-B35B-8DE17ECCE170.jpeg
    C2A36779-D27A-4735-B35B-8DE17ECCE170.jpeg
    707.9 KB · Views: 24

Okhotnik

WKR
It looks like you had a great season! I was fortunate enough to get out and try upland hunting in earnest for the first time this last winter. We got into the chukar and I am hooked! The terrain can be tough, and uniquely beautiful. It’s a great way to keep the moss off your back!

Love chasing chukars

Have seen quite a few hiking this summer

Looks like a good hatch this year

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
What have you guys found as the most effective way of "breaking" them from the false points?
I let him figure it out himself. Lots and lots of wild birds (equals runners) and he started to get it...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

K

Kootenay Hunter

Will work on my GSP this Fall with grouse, and maybe do a trip to eastern WA for pheasants next year!