Washington upland

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
Where's all the Washington upland guys at?

Finality got out for the first hunt of the year on Saturday. Got up a few quail and a few hens but no roosters. Got into a porcupine but thankfully I got to it before the dog did. Weather was great but it's slow going with the whole family along. The day ended after a realized Bo(my gsp) hit a barbed wire fence and ended up with a pretty good hole in his chest. It never slowed him down but it was enough to call it a day.

Attachments

• received_3598483146883270.jpeg
    received_3598483146883270.jpeg
    355.3 KB · Views: 48
We have been out a few times. This is Griffey’s first season.
88e345dd5a74e3ac41bb4f2c4c021741.jpg

e3acb4c5b80821644a4182f78119ef3e.jpg

OP
chadcharb

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
We have been out a few times. This is Griffey’s first season.
88e345dd5a74e3ac41bb4f2c4c021741.jpg

e3acb4c5b80821644a4182f78119ef3e.jpg
Looks like you've had a good year so far! What part of the state are you in? I'm mostly hunting around moses lake and the surrounding areas.

OP
chadcharb

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
Out of Spokane, I've been itching to make it over your way soon though.
It's funny how the grass is always greener somewhere else. I've been wanting to go hunt your way assuming there's more birds over there lol

Haha. We hunted the desert unit for deer a few years ago, so I’ve been looking for an excuse to get back there.

Bachto

WKR
I've gone and chased chukar a few times and I'm going out to a couple hidey hole spots I found deer hunting this weekend. I have a 1 year old springer that has been super fun watching learn to hunt. I will post some pictures if we knock a few down.

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
In Kennewick, I haven't been out hunting birds yet, but I just got a 20 week old GWP so have been out on a few walks with him and been in birds a few times.

FLAK

WKR
Didnt realize Washington was such an upland hotspot till I spent a few days in Spokane a couple years ago. The area around the hotel was LOADED with Turkey and a couple kind of quail.

OP
chadcharb

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
Been out a few times with my young shorthair. She's killing it, my shooting has room for improvement
Gotta love watching a young dog figure it out. I need to get my head out of my ass and get my dog out again. Between late archery elk and squiding I haven't been out in a couple weeks.

JColony

FNG
This thread makes me happy! I cut my teeth chasing roosters and quail south of Spokane. Lots of great places to chase birds!!!!

Gotta love watching a young dog figure it out. I need to get my head out of my ass and get my dog out again. Between late archery elk and squiding I haven't been out in a couple weeks.

Yeah, she's doing great too, it's her second season.

Need to work on retrieving in the off season. She'll fetch a dead bird I throw all day, but the birds I shoot, she finds and stands guard over them. Cripples she grabs with her mouth and pins down but won't pick them up.

OP
chadcharb

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, she's doing great too, it's her second season.

Need to work on retrieving in the off season. She'll fetch a dead bird I throw all day, but the birds I shoot, she finds and stands guard over them. Cripples she grabs with her mouth and pins down but won't pick them up.
I'd take that over a hard mouth all day. I had a make back in the day that was the best nose and instincts I've ever hunted behind but I had to race that sumbitch to the bird after I shot it lol

I'd take that over a hard mouth all day. I had a make back in the day that was the best nose and instincts I've ever hunted behind but I had to race that sumbitch to the bird after I shot it lol

That's a very good point. I jump shoot ducks pretty often while pheasant hunting, can't fetch those on my own unless I go for a swim. My other dog (lab/gsp mix) handles all the retrieves for now, but he's 9 and starting to slow down. I retired him from chukar hunting, just beats him up too much.

OP
chadcharb

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
I'm gonna head out around moses lake tomorrow! Should be a mixed bag duck, pheasant, quail hunt. I'm excited to get out