Washington Wilderness Mule Deer

Hey All - Hoping to see some pictures of bucks taken in Wilderness area's of Washington. I have hunted the sagebrush for years and am planning on getting into some steep country this fall. Share some pics if you got em! No spoilers necessary. Show 'em how we do it in the PNW!

Thejet

WKR
Not a picture but a huge key in Washington is getting away from the hikers. Best way is to find areas to get off the trails and glass long distance.

OP
C
Not a picture but a huge key in Washington is getting away from the hikers. Best way is to find areas to get off the trails and glass long distance.
Great point. From a map it can be a little disheartening because it seems like trails are everywhere. Trick is finding that spot to get off the beaten path.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great point. From a map it can be a little disheartening because it seems like trails are everywhere. Trick is finding that spot to get off the beaten path.

The biggest buck I have seen in WA was a few hundred yards away from a very popular hiking trail. That deer was flat out used to hikers. We stalked him, and when we were within range, you could hear hikers talking...crazy.

steveptr

FNG
The biggest buck I have seen in WA was a few hundred yards away from a very popular hiking trail. That deer was flat out used to hikers. We stalked him, and when we were within range, you could hear hikers talking...crazy.
Does not surprise me one bit. I was hoping I'd be able to go out for high buck this year I might get a chance for opening day and that's it. Oh well. General season here we come

Wrench

WKR
I'd factor in proximity to access points, outfitter access with stock, available camping spots for stock, what trailheads are inaccessible to subaru outbacks, and food/cover/escapement.

I would suggest NOT accessing from a trailhead....or at least taking a left asap.

I've been doing the high hunt for 20 years and hit virtually every one of the areas.

If you ever want to raise some eyebrows, come back on the shuttle from the end of stehikin and stop at the bakery with a buck and rifle on your pack.....lol.

Funny looks doesn't begin to describe it.

Wrench

WKR
Ps, if you are thinking about hunting from your boat on chelan.....it's cheaper to buy an Idaho tag than pay all the bs fees to be on the water.....that's not a joke.

OP
C
I'd factor in proximity to access points, outfitter access with stock, available camping spots for stock, what trailheads are inaccessible to subaru outbacks, and food/cover/escapement.

I would suggest NOT accessing from a trailhead....or at least taking a left asap.

I've been doing the high hunt for 20 years and hit virtually every one of the areas.

If you ever want to raise some eyebrows, come back on the shuttle from the end of stehikin and stop at the bakery with a buck and rifle on your pack.....lol.

Funny looks doesn't begin to describe it.
Thanks Wrench, that is a great point about roads inaccessible to Subaru Outbacks :ROFLMAO: This will be my first year in the High Buck Hunt. I fully expect to get stomped, but hopefully some good recon comes out of it. A buck of any size would be bonus.