Wasshington High Buck hunt?

Jason277

WKR
Hello all, I have been hunting Blacktail for the last three years on the westside of Washington with really awesome success . I got into hunting a bit later in life at the age of 40. I have been kicking around the idea of a high buck hunt in Washington. Just curious about your guy's experiences. Not looking for specific info on an area but the pros and cons of the High Buck. Also thinking about hiring a packer to get dropped off. Has anyone done this? Thanks, Jason

Bear7771

FNG
Depends what you’re expectations are. Do you need to fill a tag? Or are you happy with a great experience and no tag filled? It doesn’t have a high success rate but you’ll be in some beautiful country. I prefer hiring someone to pack a good camp in. Packers will usually take you 12 miles in for the regular rate. Any more than that and it costs them an extra day. 24 miles round trip is a long time on a horse! We had a packer take us 12 miles and set up our wall tent then we hiked up 3000’ and slept under a tarp for a week since the weather was nice. It does fairly often snow up there in September though. I’d highly recommend the experience.

RFOUST89

Lil-Rokslider
5-10 years ago this hunt was awesome. Now everyone does this hunt, no matter how far you go in there’s gonna be somebody further in. Guys camp in basins and saddles that deer use. Not sure how many times I’ve hunted an area only to have someone walk right through. On another note it’s gorgeous country, there are deer there , I’ve seen some terrific bucks in the wilderness. This still is one of my favorite hunts to do but have realistic expectations it is a tough season to hunt.

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
Does it sound like it used to be a lot better? Just too many people out there. With all the different wilderness areas you would think you get away from people .

RFOUST89

Lil-Rokslider
Does it sound like it used to be a lot better? Just too many people out there. With all the different wilderness areas you would think you get awa
There’s two wilderness areas within an hour of Seattle, both get hammered, every trail head has 15 Tacoma’s at it. Yes you can get a way from the crowds but over all there are a lot of people doing the hi hunt.

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
There’s two wilderness areas within an hour of Seattle, both get hammered, every trail head has 15 Tacoma’s at it. Yes you can get a way from the crowds but over all there are a lot of people doing the hi hunt.
There are a few other areas that are farther out that Im looking into ....

I hunted the high hunt this year and had an awesome time. I only saw one other hunter. I do not know if it was due to the fires or what but It was dead where I went. I saw a couple moose and a bear too. Fun experience. I was solo and did not tag out.

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
I hunted the high hunt this year and had an awesome time. I only saw one other hunter. I do not know if it was due to the fires or what but It was dead where I went. I saw a couple moose and a bear too. Fun experience. I was solo and did not tag out.
pm in bound

This was my first year in the high hunt I can tell you don’t saddle yourself with anyone not as committed as you are in training and mindset it’s a tough pack at 60 plus pounds let alone getting your deer. The smoke and a bad partner dampened the experience !! Overall the hunt was a success I didn’t even come across a single buck but couldn’t glass over 300 yards did get some first rate info and ground experience I to started late in life at 41 but am lifting weights and working on cardio ready to get further back in there. Going solo as well look into a garmin device mini or Inreach for sos and letting your friends family know where your at good luck knock em dead buddy

728A9032-8BAB-4724-8D75-7F246B4611CF.jpegThis is the day we came out the smoke finally started clearing hopefully next year is better will get into some different part of the unit next year

This was my first year in the high hunt I can tell you don’t saddle yourself with anyone not as committed as you are in training and mindset it’s a tough pack at 60 plus pounds let alone getting your deer. The smoke and a bad partner dampened the experience !! Overall the hunt was a success I didn’t even come across a single buck but couldn’t glass over 300 yards did get some first rate info and ground experience I to started late in life at 41 but am lifting weights and working on cardio ready to get further back in there. Going solo as well look into a garmin device mini or Inreach for sos and letting your friends family know where your at good luck knock em dead buddy
Awesome advice. Although I do think that some people out there will try to make this hunt out be the toughest hunt out there, It is what you make of it. Do not let others discourage/deter from getting out there and getting your feet wet. With that being said the better shape you are in the better experience you will have. just like Jake said you get back there with 50+ pounds of gear and get a 250-300 pound Muley you just turned your trip into one hell of an adventure especially if you are solo. Also use your spring and summer to do some scouting. Nothing beats knowing your area and having a plan and a plan B and C..... Also do not underestimate the weather. Most of the areas I hunt are 4500-7500 ft in elevation and the weather can be all 4 seasons in one day. Those kind of elevations in Washington can easily create its own weather. It is also kind of hard to gauge or find info on a specific area because most of the areas are pretty remote. It is a really good opportunity to get out and test yourself. I thoroughly look forward to this hunt every year. I enjoy the solitude that it can provide coupled with the brisk weather and fall colors it is easily one of my favorite things every year.

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
Thank you for the advice ! Yes starting now to get myself in better shape and E - scouting until I can begin to get boots on the ground. !

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
Awesome advice. Although I do think that some people out there will try to make this hunt out be the toughest hunt out there, It is what you make of it. Do not let others discourage/deter from getting out there and getting your feet wet. With that being said the better shape you are in the better experience you will have. just like Jake said you get back there with 50+ pounds of gear and get a 250-300 pound Muley you just turned your trip into one hell of an adventure especially if you are solo. Also use your spring and summer to do some scouting. Nothing beats knowing your area and having a plan and a plan B and C..... Also do not underestimate the weather. Most of the areas I hunt are 4500-7500 ft in elevation and the weather can be all 4 seasons in one day. Those kind of elevations in Washington can easily create its own weather. It is also kind of hard to gauge or find info on a specific area because most of the areas are pretty remote. It is a really good opportunity to get out and test yourself. I thoroughly look forward to this hunt every year. I enjoy the solitude that it can provide coupled with the brisk weather and fall colors it is easily one of my favorite things every year.
I'm already looking forward to it!!

Shot some info to Jake earlier this year and would be happy to share what I know, which isn't a ton.

Going in steep and deep is more worth it during General (but more risky to life and limb) than for High Buck IMO. Especially with Archery elk all messed up now it seems a lot of guys have dumped it in favor of the High Buck Hunt.

pdrake

FNG
Thank you for the advice ! Yes starting now to get myself in better shape and E - scouting until I can begin to get boots on the ground. !
Jason, there are maybe thousands of square miles of wilderness area open to the High Buck. You really have to choose one and try to get to know it well. E-scouting is great (I do that as well), but there is no substitute for on-the-ground experience. Good on you for trying to stay in shape, but a more effective method of training is just going. We haven't had much snow yet this year, get out there and do day hikes (as deeply as you can into your area). Go as many times as your family will permit. Good luck!

DSY_WA

FNG
Not me personally, but I'm pretty sure Rob Endsley from the Outdoor line would help with some pointers. You can find him on instagram, I don't use Facebook but I imagine he's on there as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
Not me personally, but I'm pretty sure Rob Endsley from the Outdoor line would help with some pointers. You can find him on instagram, I don't use Facebook but I imagine he's on there as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info!