Watch Suggestions

I am tired of taking my phone out of my pocket when hunting/fishing to check the time, one of these times i will drop in the drink. Was looking at coros Apex because of the GPS and sleekness of it. Also was looking at the garmin instinct solar but looks much bulkier which i think might be a pain. What kind of watches are you guys rocking these days.

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Garmin Fenix line. I had the older Fenix 3 and currently the Fenix 6X. Battery life is incredible. I charge mine about once a week and wear it all the time for daily step/activity tracking, at night for sleep tracking, and also use the GPS 6-8 hours a week. I've got real world experience with constant GPS tracking for 33+ hours. I haven't had any issues with durability or pairing with my phone. One drawback based on your comments, it's fairly bulky. They offer smaller versions, though I don't think the battery life is as good on those. The Fenix 7 just came out, which appears to have much better solar capabilities. But you wouldn't be giving up very much by getting a Fenix 6 at reduced price.

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Wife bought me a Fenix and used it sparingly because every tme I needed some of it's features (mainly GPS) I always had a Rino (old school) or and InReach. Now the watch sits in the drawer and I just wear my Casio G-Shock every day.

Well id try to buy roofer1's fenix off him lol, i love mine. Got my wife and her parents them too, they're great. I have the titanium fenix 5+ saphire, its a bit smaller and lighter than the one i got my father in law. If i was in the market now id probably look at the brand new one, its spendy but would probably take years before id want to upgrade again

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Well id try to buy roofer1's fenix off him lol, i love mine. Got my wife and her parents them too, they're great. I have the titanium fenix 5+ saphire, its a bit smaller and lighter than the one i got my father in law. If i was in the market now id probably look at the brand new one, its spendy but would probably take years before id want to upgrade again
Happily, but with the grief the Mrs would give me for selling a "gift" he'd have to take her too :D

I like the Garmin Fenix line but I find I use the feature almost never. The larger model is also MASSIVE and a nuisance to get in/out of layers in the field, believe it's the 5X Sapphire specifically that I have.

The new solar model looks interesting, but I'll likely just stick with my perpetual motion analog watch going forward.

Ratbeetle

WKR
I just use mine for time, so I like my basic citizen ecodrive. Just wish it was sapphire so it was a bit tougher, the crystal is pretty banged up.

I moved from the Suunto Observer to the Garmin Felix 5x years ago. Best smart watch made IMO. The newly released Felix 7 has some refined enhancements and the battery life is ridiculously long. It will be my next upgrade.

Tango1

Lil-Rokslider
Garmin Tactix Delta Solar. The solar charging feature is very nice to have in the field on extended hunts/trips. I never worry about charging even when using the GPS non-stop (vs the older non-solar versions). My old eyes are getting worse by the day so the large screen is very helpful despite it being a bit bulky/cumbersome under long sleeve shirts, jackets etc. Very intuitive to use as well.

4rcgoat

WKR
Casio pathfinder for most every day use, just picked up a Garmin instinct but haven't had a chance yet to put it through the ringer.

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
Timex Expedition Trail has been consistent for me. I have an Apple Watch which can be nice but the battery life is bad. 1.5 days at best. I bought a Suunto core and I don’t care for it. The elevation is always wrong. Did what all the tech support information said to do to make it correct and still would be off. My buddy had the Garmin fenix 6. He loves it and it worked great. Long battery life. I’ve been looking at the Garmin Instinct Solar.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I really like the Fenix battery life. I have a 5 . I plan on getting the new Epix and having a fair amount of maps on it.

PNWGATOR

WKR
If you want a simple, rugged wrist watch a Casio G Shock is the solution. I’ve owned two and have beaten the living sh t out of each of them over the last 30+ yrs.

No recommendation for a more modern featured watch as I have no idea what’s out there or what works.

I’ve been running a g shock for a few years. Daily wearer and on every hunt. Has a compass and temperature as well as moon phase. All I’ve ever needed. Had more mud, guts, blood, and construction debris spilled all over it and keeps going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The instinct is a great watch. I use my Fenix now most of the time but I love having the Instinct too. Especially when I know it might get smacked around.

Time, barometer, solid compass, but none of the overly distracting smart watch stuff you don’t need.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy either again. I agree that the X models are just too big. Especially with the snug cuffs on my archery clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P Carter

WKR
I have a suunto 9 baro, mostly for running and hiking as a backup navigation device. Love the features and batter life. They just came out with the new suunto 9, which is less bulky but still has great battery life. May be worth considering.

Last edited: