Watch your step...

Fitzwho

WKR
Just got back from a quick trip setting out some trail camera’s in NM for my deer hunt. Only one of the 4 spots I got cameras to had another camera, so that was refreshing. I was certain that we would run into rattlesnakes at some point. It was 105F by noon, so figured I’d find them hanging around water right where I would be looking.

Well, flash forward to the last setup before heading home, my wife and daughter were done, so they stayed in the truck, I’m walking through knee high sage brush and grass burs, get through that with no issue, push into an open spot and start entering the China Berry thicket I was shooting for, take a couple steps and all but step on the largest BOBCAT I have ever laid eyes on. He bolted from a spot no more than 3 steps in front of me. There was a second smaller cat as well that slunk off the opposite direction. I have seen and killed a handful of bobcats over the years, the biggest of which went 28 pounds, if memory serves me right. This one looked like my pointer trotting in front of me. I’d guess this one to be an honest 35-40lbs.

def90

WKR
I was hunting whitetails in a river bottom in SE Colorado 2 years ago and walked up to a brush pile and proceeded to take a few pictures of a few things around me to compare with what I was seeing from the rim of the canyon to get a better idea of what things from a distance looked like up close when a bobcat exploded out of the brush pile and ran away through the grass as fast as possible. Looked like the biggest rabbit I’ve ever seen as it bounded away. Scared the shit out of me, just like almost stepping on a grouse.

OP
F

Fitzwho

WKR
Have a predator calling trip lined up in a couple weeks. The only problem with finding that one is that you have to have a trapper’s license to hunt them in NM. And a NR trapper’s license is more expensive than a NR deer tag.