Watch

sutton17

FNG
I wear a garmin instinct non solar every day. I can usually get about a week and a half on a charge with normal use. I'm sure if I was using the GPS the battery life would be less but I love it for how I am currently using it.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
My instinct non solar would go 1 week between charge using gps for runs and wearing daily. The Fenix is about 2 weeks for my use

My Instinct Solar is getting returned after a disaster of a trial run backpacking trip. I carry my phone and a Garmin 66i so adding the watch to the mix really just accomplished quickly draining all three batteries trying to keep them synced up. After using the watch to navigate to the coordinates (3 miles out, started with 85% battery), I was sitting at 51% 16hr left when I hit the sack. I thought I had turned off the nav but regardless the watch died at 5am. Finally was able to get enough solar charge to do a basic watch mode around 1pm.

I also realized how little I cared about what my heartbeat is, my sleep cycle, or my O2 reading and don’t need another device to futz with in the woods. Going back to my beat up Casio Protrek that has never missed a beat.

mtnlomo

FNG
I currently use the Garmin vivo active 4. Altimeter, HR, pulse oximeter, gps, tracks my sleeping, it even tracks my lifts during exercises. Battery lasts four days wearing it day and night, all week if I turn it off at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomJoad

WKR
In the field I only want one thing: time. In such I look for simplicity, lightweight and durablity. Currently running a marathon US gov issued aviator. It’s been ok but in two years I’ve already had to repair the bezel once and send it in to have loose tritium tubes replaced. Granted I beat the living hell out of this piece of gear, but still unacceptable for a two year run.

Anyone else run an analog timepiece that’s not a stainless dive watch (light & low profile) that has been solid? Hoping this thread could might offer some options

570E07D9-9927-454E-AF5D-250EA648B9EA.jpeg

For you casio Protrek users how do you like them? I have a sunnto core. Is the protrek an upgrade or a lateral move

Been using the Garmin's tactix delta with AB and loving it so far. It's definitely pricey but for everything it does including having
ballistic software it's been worth it for me.

Luminox 3000 series. I've used and abused this watch for 13 years. Keeps better time than my Seiko and batteries last around 4-5 years. Its small, light and very easy to read in the dark. Also more durable than any analog watch I've had (which is many).

TomJoad

WKR
So my Marathon that I had warrantied earlier this year from loose tritium tubes... another one fell out yesterday!! I think I'm done with Marathon. Quality or QC or both are terrible. I just placed an order for an $11 Casio per @shoeshineman and will reuse my nato band on it from the $300 Marathon. Does it have a sapphire crystal face? No. Nuclear Radiation illumination? No. Rotating Bezel? No. Swiss Movement? No. Government Mil-spec and Issue? No. BUT will this sucker actually keep time and be functional in the backcountry??? YES. Last one is all that really matters 😂 Look at this contrast! the one on the right will never be missing the tritium tube at 7 o'clock.

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 3.23.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-09 at 2.33.41 PM.png

Last edited:

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
So my Marathon that I had warrantied earlier this year from loose tritium tubes... another one fell out yesterday!! I think I'm done with Marathon. Quality or QC or both are terrible. I just placed an order for an $11 Casio per @shoeshineman and will reuse my nato band on it from the $300 Marathon. Does it have a sapphire crystal face? No. Nuclear Radiation illumination? No. Rotating Bezel? No. Swiss Movement? No. Government Mil-spec and Issue? No. BUT will this sucker actually keep time and be functional in the backcountry??? YES. Last one is all that really matters 😂 Look at this contrast! the one on the right will never be missing the tritium tube at 7 o'clock.

That’s so disappointing! I’ve always really wanted a Marathon. I’m partial to analog watches.

I had an old Victorinox that lasted about 15 years and died on a bear hunt. I ended up buying an Armourlite. Engraved on the back, it said “The Invincible Watch.” I had to send it back three times in about as many years. The fourth time it was a couple months out of warranty, but I sent it back to them with a note that said to either stand behind their product or keep it. They apparently did not read the note and sent me a bill for the repair, which was for a whole new movement and over half the cost of the watch. I did not pay it, and they probably just threw the watch away.

Long story short, I bought a G Shock, and although I hate the way it looks, it hasn’t failed me yet.

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
I have a new in box suunto stealth alpha in the classifieds for $200 obo if anyone is interested. It’s simply too large for my small wrists

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Timex Ironman for me. Works great for timing workout intervals, and isn't a monster on my wrist either. I have found with some of the watches that require frequent charging I'll take it off to charge and then forget to put it back on.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using the garmin instinct solar and love it! The gps sucks the battery dry but I only use it on occasion, when I have used it it’s been pretty dang good. I like features like sunrise and set, for some reason I like knowing moon phases so for me that’s a cool feature, triple sensors, light weight, so far it has withstood loads of abuse, battery life is amazing if you’re outdoors and if not I’ll still get 3 weeks. It took me a bit to figure it out but for now I’m loving it more than my g shock. That’s a great watch but it was really bulky and they died after 18 months almost to the day. If the instinct lasts a couple years then I’ll have no complaints