Watch

I used to be a g shock man until got a Garmin Fenix. I have the sapphire edition and it has held up great. You can find older versions for around $300

npro04

Lil-Rokslider
I use a garmin instinct solar and for my needs it’s perfect. Works great as everyday smart watch and has the key features for hunting. No extra frills just function.

jd1006

WKR
I use a Garmin Felix 6 Sapphire. Great battery life, integrates with the inreach, has maps on the watch. Might be a price reduction soon as there are rumors that the Felix 7 is coming out. It also has barometric pressure, Pulse OX and heartrate sensors, which can be handy if you are tracking acclimation at elevation. I prefer physical buttons over touch screens for watches, due to using them at cold temps and when I’m sweaty from working out.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
For you casio Protrek users how do you like them? I have a sunnto core. Is the protrek an upgrade or a lateral move
For comparison of those mentioned, I have extensively used Garmin, GShock’s (regular versions, not Mudmaster, etc…), Protrek, and Suunto Core. The regular Gshock is basic and bombproof, with good battery life…it just keeps going. However it does not have many features and the factory bands can become brittle in time. Garmin makes so many different models that are feature rich, it would be hard to compare without getting in to specific models. However, I have been very pleased with all that I have used (Garmin is my current go to watch for the additional features that it offerers over the others). The Suunto Core is a great watch with the features important to many hunters. The biggest “con” in my opinion regarding the Core is the battery life. The battery does not last anywhere near what the GShock does. When the battery goes on the Core, it‘s sometimes difficult to remove the cover and replace…I‘ve replaced 3 over the years and twice had to send it in to the factory because neither I nor the watch shop could get the cover off. The band and band keeper although very comfortable, do not last very long for me. For the features it has to offer, the Protrek to me is by far the most durable and reliable out of those mentioned. I’ve beat it up for years and it keeps going. The battery never seems to diminish. I did put a NATO band on to give a better fit - not for comfort, rather for watch position on my wrist. The display is also easy to read in all conditions. All in all, it’s a personal decision of what you want in a watch. However, my choice in regards to the Suunto vs. Pathfinder question is; no It’s not a lateral move. The Pathfinder edges out the Suunto and will not let you down. The battery charges and remains charged. The variety in bands make it very customizable to the end user, and even after hard use/abuse, it keeps going. However, as I mentioned above, Garmin is now my go to watch…for too many reasons to list in this post.

Claypa

FNG
Plus one on the Timex Ironman. Just so i dont have to check the time on my phone. And sometimes for workout intervals

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been using a Garmin Instinct Solar for the last month or so. Very comfortable watch. Battery life is very good without tracking (weeks), with tracking it eats battery, but easily 24 hours worth of tracking (probably a bit more if it's sunny) before it needs recharged. You can navigate with it if need be, but no maps (a map on a watch would be too small for me anyways). The altimeter and compass are accurate (checked against my map and gps). The altimeter is especially handy when navigating off trail- just a quick glance at the watch and you can keep a certain elevation steady.

I got to test out the tracking on Thursday against my gps, they were in within a couple of percentages (not sure which one was slightly more accurate to be honest??)

It's been one of my best buys in a long time :)

compare watch vs gps

JBdbvyl.jpg

tMNTcH3.png

KRATOCT

FNG
My Garmin Instinct Solar tactical is very rugged and I like the features much more than my previous g-shocks. Plus for a smart watch, battery life is amazing. 45 days on a full charge. That is working outside all day however. Would like to try the Fenix when it’s time to retire this one

Oregonboy

WKR
Check out the Vaer field watch, I've had mine for 6 months so far and really, really like it.

Hunterw

FNG
+1 for the Garmin instinct, solid watch at a good price point.

Sent from my M2010J19SG using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
Casio f91w on a nato band. You interested in reliability? That is reliability.
This was also one of the inexpensive watches I was going to try, but the stock band was pathetically too short.

What is this "NATO band" I'm seeing several posters in here mention?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
This was also one of the inexpensive watches I was going to try, but the stock band was pathetically too short.

What is this "NATO band" I'm seeing several posters in here mention?
There are variations, but normally a single piece of webbing with a buckle. Something like this https://natostrapco.com/collections/26mm-straps

They are great in that even if one of the pins on the watch gives out you don't loose the watch and in that the band is very strong.

I stopped using them because the band is very strong and I want a band that will break (rather than take my arm with it) if it snags on machinery and such. I'm not in environments where that is a concern much anymore, but still have not gone back to using them.

JD Jones

WKR
Another vote for instinct. I’ll add that it’s also very light compared to some of the others listed. I also have a Luminox Recon that I absolutely love but after 3 years of daily wear and a deployment sprinkled in there, I had to retire it.

KyleJ-802

FNG
Big fan of the Garmin Instinct as others have stated. Very comfortable, and great battery life