Watcha reading/listening to?

ODB

WKR

Currently listening to The Story of WWII but hoping to get into a revolutionary war book next​

If you like WW II stuff, Will Shirer’s Rise and Fall of the Third Reich is very good. As is his Berlin Diaries. As a correspondent from Germany he kind of kept dual books on what he was seeing due to Nazi censorship. Like War and Peace, they are books that a lot of people know of but have never read. They are all with reading.

Jmort1754

WKR
Perfectly Wounded- Mike Day
James Reece series- Carr
Tier One series- Andrews

All caught up on the mitch rapp books

Recovering from rona all week so i jumped back on audible, went through Edward Snowden's Permanent record, long winded and hard for me to follow but pretty informative.
Right now its John Stossels No they cant,really liking it so far.
Next up Thomas Sowells Dismantling America.
"One shot " it's a Jack Reacher story.

I heard about No Surrender: My Thirty Year War, by Hiroo Onoda, on Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast (holy shit that podcast is a treasure; anyone who's into history should look into it).

Anyway, this Hiroo Onoda, was one of the last Japanese WWII soldier to surrender, in 1974!!

Just about to start this book. Really want to understand the fanaticism and belief and self-sacrifice it must have taken to continue waging a war nearly 20 years after its conclusion. I'm sure there is something to be learned there.

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
I heard about No Surrender: My Thirty Year War, by Hiroo Onoda, on Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast (holy shit that podcast is a treasure; anyone who's into history should look into it).

Anyway, this Hiroo Onoda, was the last Japanese WWII soldier to surrender, in 1974!!

Just about to start this book. Really want to understand the fanaticism and belief and self-sacrifice it must have taken to continue waging a war nearly 20 years after its conclusion. I'm sure there is something to be learned there.

Is this the guy who was on some island and lived in the bush or something? I remember my dad telling me a similar story - maybe same guy?

Is this the guy who was on some island and lived in the bush or something? I remember my dad telling me a similar story - maybe same guy?

Could be. There are many instances of Japanese hold outs, he just happened to be one of the last (there was another arrested in 1975).

Edited my earlier post: he apparently wasn't the last, but I believe the 2nd last.

Last edited:
Reactions: ODB

Noodlestheshaman

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve finished Arctic dreams and labyrinth of ice in the past month. The latter was incredible. My lady gifted me captain brainards journal from the same expedition, the bushcraft 101 box set, and the way we Genuinely live (yupik indigenous survival book) very excited to break them open.

mhabiger

FNG
Books
  • Been on a T.R. kick lately (Rough Riders, Hunting Trips of A Ranchman, The Wilderness Hunter)
  • Stoner and Butcher's Crossing by John Williams
  • Probably start re-reading Atlas Shrugged
Listening
  • Started listening to a few smaller hunting podcasts: Blood Origins and Your Mountain
  • Always tune into EconTalk, hold over from my college days

Books
  • Been on a T.R. kick lately (Rough Riders, Hunting Trips of A Ranchman, The Wilderness Hunter)
  • Stoner and Butcher's Crossing by John Williams
  • Probably start re-reading Atlas Shrugged
Listening
  • Started listening to a few smaller hunting podcasts: Blood Origins and Your Mountain
  • Always tune into EconTalk, hold over from my college days
I picked up listening to Your Mountain a few months ago. I’d recommend to anyone interested in policy related to hunting.

Now reading "Crow Killer" for the fourth time in the last year

Recently read (last three months):
Narrative of my captivity among the souix indians
The Montana Column: March to the Little Bighorn
A Damned Big Fight
The Prairie
African Game Trails
The Life and Adventures of James P. Beckwourth
The Man-eaters of Tsavo

Broomd

WKR
Trying to get through The Gulag Archipelago, by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
Having a hard time though with daily life stuff.

Our Aussiedoodle is dropping pups today....always something going on.