Watches

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Any recommendations on watches? Was looking at the Pathfinder, but let it go wayside and now it looks as if they have moved to the Pro Trek?

Some background.. don't wear one for daily life. Use a cheap 5 Walmart version with my GPS now when in field. Ran into some scenarios where having a better watch like the pathfinder would be helpful.

Any reviews from folks running a similar watch on the pros and cons would be helpful.

Other brands are not off limits as well, please chime in.

Why I like the Pathfinder/Protek.

Solar powered/compass/altimeter/barometer/thermometer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
I have a g shock something 1000. It is a ABC. It is decent but has many flaws in the design and programming. Ie dim light that turns off when you cycle to a feature. You need to turn it on again and again, the temp is always off because of body heat, altitude is off if you go in a car, light wont work when cycling thru some functions till a 3-5second lasp. I would buy another one but not unless the programming was changed. Board on my last day at work.
Mine is solar and i will say the B function is accurate

PNWGATOR

WKR
Pick a G Shock and don't look back. Inexpensive and tough. I've worn and used three G shocks over about the last three decades. Used them all to failure...band failure. Multiple times until band parts no longer offered. Solid. Inexpensive. Work. Beat the shit out of it and don't look back.

jmez

WKR
I think the temp is off on all of them unless you take them off.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
I think the temp is off on all of them unless you take them off.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Totally agree.
I take mine off if I really want the temp. But the watch stops reading at like 10'f temp. Like out of range. If my watch get cold it stops reading out.
So getting the temp alot of times in wisconsin is a no go. I can only speak on mu G shock GWN1000. I did not explain it well

cbeck36

Lil-Rokslider
Pick a G Shock and don't look back. Inexpensive and tough. I've worn and used three G shocks over about the last three decades. Used them all to failure...band failure. Multiple times until band parts no longer offered. Solid. Inexpensive. Work. Beat the shit out of it and don't look back.

Yup.

Suunto Ambit

Integrated GPS function makes it very useful for navigation, especially at night and pre dawn. Rugged, reliable.

colonel00

WKR
I wear a ProTrek 5000Y daily. Love the watch. I actually got one of the titanium bracelets to replace the resin strap as I don't like straps all that much.

In all honesty, I don't use the ABC features all that much. I have the barometer showing the trend so that is kinda helpful but that's about it. Compass on occasion. Thermometer is pretty useless as others have mentioned.

I"ve actually been eyeing the new Casio WSD-F20 smart watch as my next watch.

PRO TREK Smart WSD-F20 | Smart Outdoor Watch | CASIO

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
I've had my Suunto Vector for 10 years now and its never had a hiccup. It has taken a beating and all I've ever had to do was replace the band once because I got a branch caught in it doing tree work and it bent the buckle a little. I've heard very few reports of inaccurate elevation readings but I've never had that problem. When I say mine has taken a beating I'm talking 15 months in Afghanistan, countless days in the mountains, swimming in the Atlantic and Pacific, etc. Still running strong. There are other good options as well, like have been mentioned. But I am a Suunto fan. It's proven itself.