Water Bladder Question

rambo2345

WKR
Have you run into any issues, clogging, etc. using an electrolyte mix in you water bladder.

Bubba94

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I have avoided doing that as it can be harder to clean out and may encourage bacterial growth in the long term. I usually just put a shot of powder in my mouth and add water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
You should really avoid adding drink mix to bladder. It’s a nightmare cleaning the bladder and tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SonnyDay

WKR
Yep. Powder to the mouth and just add water. Some of the newer powders have bigger chunks of dried fruit and such which can clog valves.

OP
rambo2345

rambo2345

WKR
Thanks for the replies. Seems everyone agrees with water only in the bladder.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I know you have your answer already, just thought I’d share my solution to the issue.

I like to bring one of the small Nalgene bottles that holds like 16 ounces. I use that for any electrolyte, BCAA, mio, coffee, or whatever else I don’t want to put into my main water bag/bottles.

Also, a sorta related side note, I like to have at least one hard bottle to go with a bladder as a reliable back up system in the event my bladder gets a leak.

Phaseolus

WKR
I know you have your answer already, just thought I’d share my solution to the issue.

I like to bring one of the small Nalgene bottles that holds like 16 ounces. I use that for any electrolyte, BCAA, mio, coffee, or whatever else I don’t want to put into my main water bag/bottles.

Also, a sorta related side note, I like to have at least one hard bottle to go with a bladder as a reliable back up system in the event my bladder gets a leak.
Yup, that’s how i do it too.

xziang

WKR
Repetitive but I keep a nolgene bottle and or a big mouth bottle of some sort to use at night for a mix of something. I keep condiments in that bottle for safe keeping so it serves dual pourpose.

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using a cmelback for mtn bike and motorcycle racing for 25+ years, Never had a problem using drink mix.

For racing I use Hammer Nutrition Heed. Mix it in a blender bottle and put it in the camelback.

Hunting I use Endurolytes Fizz. Toss them in and they dissolve. No issues.

I rinse the camelback when I get home and toss it in the freezer.

I guess I am a little different, but I mix Wilderness Athlete Hydrate & Recover in a Quart bottle of Power Aid Zero, and pour it slowly into my Camelbak. When I get near the bottom of the quart bottle, I pour out the remainder with any undissolved powder. I have been doing it like that for years, and never had a problem. I just make sure no undissolved powder gets into the Camelbak. I use two bottles of Power Aid Zero, and two servings of Wilderness Athlete Hydrate & Recover, then fill the rest of the Camelbak with water.

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
Interesting. I fill my bladder with water, pour in a drink mix, and start hiking. Never had an issue with either icky growth or clogging. Been doing it that way for a long time.

When home it all gets cleaned and dried.

Jeremy

I did find that if you put the powder into room temp water (as opposed to cold) it dissolved easier, then after putting it in the Camelbak, fill it with cold(er) water. But I never had any problems with it growing mold or anything.

CMF

WKR
We carry a smart water bottle with squirt top for mixing powders. I'm thinking if necessary i could flush my filter with the squirt top as well and avoid packing the syringe.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
Flavored electrolyte supplements are trash IMO. So many fillers and unnecessary crap thrown in. Electrolytes are just salt, plain and simple. I just buy salt, potassium and magnesium and add them to my bladder. Way cheaper and doesn't make me sh*t my pants when I'm on the mountain like these hunting supplements often do. And it doesn't leave your bladder tasting like fruit punch for the rest of your season

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting. I fill my bladder with water, pour in a drink mix, and start hiking. Never had an issue with either icky growth or clogging. Been doing it that way for a long time.

When home it all gets cleaned and dried.

Jeremy
Same, never had an issue cleaning a bag out. Once i am home they get a fresh water rinse, hung up and the fresh water run through the tube. Then soap/hot water same and rinsed a few times. I store them aired up and put them in the freezer. Never had any issues with the bladder.