Water bladder vs bottles

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
Been shopping for a new pack, and have a mental hangup I could use some help with. I've been a big fan of hydro bladders in packs, especially for activities like mountain biking. I've just done the same thing with hunting, carry a bladder in the pack and a couple bottled drinks in the side pockets. The down side is that the bladder takes up a lot of room in the pack, even in it's own pocket. Some packs don't seem to have pockets for bladders and that got me thinking...do I really need a bladder, or would Nalgene bottles be better? This is for a day pack/day hunt kind of scenario, but could be used for packing in as well I suppose.

Both have their place; I don't think either option is definitively better than the other. If I had to choose one or the other, it would be Nalgene bottles, but I usually carry one 3L bladder and one 32oz Nalgene.

I like the convenience of the bladder's drinking tube always being right there on my shoulder for a quick sip of water (although the tube can become a liability in freezing weather). If you're counting ounces, a bladder typically has a better weight-to-capacity ratio.

I like a Nalgene bottle's ability to stand up on its own when I'm pumping water into it. I also like the Nalgene's measuring lines and ease of cleaning.

gexpro

WKR
I did away with bladders, after having the hose freeze on me several times. I decided to go with a Nalgene sized insulated bottle I found at my local REI. haven’t had an issue since. I keep the bottle stowed on my hip belt with a hyper-lite bottle holder.

i also carry a 3L empty platypus for water storage when setting up a overnight camp, from point to point.

Attachments

• 00002901-8762-4E33-A420-B51319365D67.jpeg
    00002901-8762-4E33-A420-B51319365D67.jpeg
    336 KB · Views: 90

Austink47

WKR
Part of me hates bladders but on early season hunts I find my self getting dehydrated without one. I always carry a bottle as well and just drop the bladder when it gets cold and I have more stay warm gear in my pack.

Baron528

FNG
Early season/warmer temps I use a 2-3L bladder for water and also a nalgene/smart bottle for electrolyte mixes. Once freezing becomes an issue, I stop carrying the bladder and have an extra bottle with.

Reactions: 509
OP
J

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
Good point about the tube freezing on bladders, I've had that happen on multiple January hunts/snow shoeing trips. I hadn't considered a bottle on the waist belt, will look into those options. One thing I hate about bottles is not being able to reach them, having to take off the pack, etc. But...given the way I've been hunting the last few years, more glassing and less miles, that's not as big of a deal. I wish someone made a real thin bladder that was more spread out across the pack.
Thanks for the feedback!

lonedave

WKR
1L empty Pepsi bottles. Probably the cheapest and lightest option. They fit pretty easily in an outside pocket. I've had the same three for nearly 10 years now. Mine are what they used to call a "Big Slam" with a larger mouth....I wish they still sold them.

tdot

WKR
Water bladder for storage and 1 or 2 Smart Water Bottles for straight water and possibly a powdered mix, sometimes a Nalgene. I gave up water bladders a long time ago and can't ever see myself going back.

Spoonman

WKR
I have a bladder and a nalgene. I drink a shit load of water on my hikes in. The convenience of the bladder and the amount just works for me. Once up at base camp I tend to use the bladder as camp water and the nalgene as hunt water. You’ll get a bunch of different ways of doing things and it’s just up to you.

I became a bladder guy last year. It’s the only way I’d realistically stay hydrated due to the convenience of always having the tube there.

TheGDog

WKR
Bladder + Water Bag Bottles. Love my Vapur Bag Bottles when on a sit! With practice can open them and drink Ninja quiet! And... as your water goes away you get more space back in your pack! And the biggest thing Ilike about them is no sloshing noise! If you close up your bag bottles carefully to get the air out, you're all good for water noise.

Only thing you MUST remember is to NOT have your bag bottles exposed if you're going thru some Buckthorn or something similar. They can get punctured. Had one clipped to my belt loop while was on a sit. Got up to take a pee break and on way back to the sit which was thru lotta Buckthorn, it got poked.

So what do we have so far? Worries about freezing drink tube.. and getting poked.

They have insulated drink tubes you can get, btw. And re: getting poked. Just don't wear it exposed like I did there.

lvtuna

FNG
I drink more water using the bladder. Broke a bladder throwing pack down a cliff. Switched to nalgene and water bottles. Do not stay hydrated this way. Going to keep a 3L bladder and a Nalgene now. I vote for both.

FNG
January hunt this year down into the teens cold camping; had my insulated drinking tube freeze up for the better part of the mornings. Each has their place and I run both, but just for the convenience of refilling I drink the nalgenes first and if I need more then I'll dip into the bladder. I originally thought the nalgenes would be handy for powdered drink mixes.. quickly found out that's too much mess and hassle and will look for capsules instead

RCB

WKR
Bladders are great until they break. Had my first failure in CO 2nd season last year, which (I'm sure many will recall) saw a pretty big snowstorm and very low temps.

With all the fresh snow around, I ended up just carrying around a single Nalgene + jetboil. every few hours I'd melt a fresh batch of snow and replenish my bottle. I also implemented a very strict self-care policy: every time I climbed a hill, forced myself to stop, pull out the bottle, and take a few big gulps of water.

For cold temps, I'm planning on skipping bladders in the future. Above and near freezing, bladders are fine.

Like others have mentioned, I also need a lot of water when performing strenuous activities. The convenience of a bladder is wonderful.
I also carry my 17 oz capacity Microlite bottle for drinks, especially hot drinks. I like to be able to drink hot coffee and water alternatly throughout the morning when its cold, but the hose freezing up is a pain. Next cold wheather hunt i might just do a hoseless bladder and my microlite.
I honestly haven't tried bottles alone with the exception of day hikes with friends and/or family carrying water for more than one person.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I carry a 20oz water bottle and thats it. Anything else just adds weight that I dont feel like carrying. I dont drink much water, but usually fill up when I come across a source. During the winter Ill carry an extra 32oz bottle for more coffee/tea but generally I just do day trips.

TX_Diver

WKR
I'm pretty much entirely using bladders.

2L bladder w/ hose, and then the platypus soft bottles from there.

Think I'm gonna switch to a 3L bladder this year and throw in a half liter plastic water bottle for the backup. Downside to a bladder is you can't tell when you're getting low so you can run yourself out unexpectedly if you don't pay attention.

I drink a LOT of water. Typically carry 4L and end up close to empty or completely out by the end of the day.

Spoonman

WKR
Little tip for the rest of you bladder users. If you are having your tube freeze up then after you take a drink blow back into your tube to push the water back to the bladder. No more frozen water in the tube!