Water Bottles vs. Water Bladders?

Rizzy

WKR
The nalgene bottles have always been to heavy and bulky for my taste and they just don't have the capacity I need. There have been a few occasions where I would have liked to fill a nalgene bottle up with Huckleberries during summer scouting however. The 1/2 litre platypus works great for drink mixes.

I like to have both with me and like others, have had issues with the bladder tubes freezing up when it's really cold. An insulated tube helps as does biting the valve and blowing the water in the tube back into the bladder after you take a drink. Often times it is just the bite valve area that is causing the major problems and making it impossible to get any water through the tube. If you have a mouthpiece that can be popped off the tube, I have been able to drink just fine, and then I put the mouthpiece back on. The bottles with the Steri pen do work very well as BB stated. It's not super fast, but with the bottles, you can sterilize the water in the bottle and then dump it into your hydration bladder to fill it up again. It works.
David

unm1136

WKR
I carry both. Nalgenes will break if frozen, even if left with the lid off to allow for expansion. Both will leak if they get cross threaded or aren't snugged down properly. I view both as necessary. Currently I am using quart Gatorade bottles and my decade old Source badder. The bladder gets used more when in motion. During meals and in camp the bottles are handier.

pat

6t4nova

WKR
I carry my camelback water bladder and also a spare dromlite just in case. I also have a nalgene bottle that I pack in my bag and stuff full or snacks on the way in. Its a little extra weight but worth it in my opinion. I like being able to use the nalgene to add gatorade or other powdered mixes and not have to put that in my water bladder.

I ran a similar thread on the Bowsite a couple of years ago and got similar advice, to include the Platypus bottle as an option.

What I do now is to use either a bladder or 2L plastic bottle(s) as my water storage device and keep it in my pack. I then use one of those plastic bottles of water you can get at the grocery store to drink from. I carry it on the side of my pack or waist belt and can refill it from the storage container in my pack when I need to.

I prefer a plastic bottle of water over a nalgene for drinking for a few reasons; the nalgene is heavier than the plastic bottles of water you can get at the grocery store, the grocery store bottles have been tough enough for me and haven't leaked on me in the field (yet), and I can squeeze the air out of the plastic bottles so that the water does not slosh around making noise (which is one of the main advantages of the bladder for hunting).

Using a bottle to drink from also allows me to add flavoring to it if I want, like Gatorade or other electrolyte drinks or just KoolAid. You can also put hot water in them, you don't need a nalgene to do that, just use one with a thicker plastic as some are pretty flimsy.

So, basically, I get the both of all worlds by using a bladder for bulk storage and a light bottle for drinking. The mix has worked for me.

JG358

WKR
I carry both. Nalgenes will break if frozen, even if left with the lid off to allow for expansion. Both will leak if they get cross threaded or aren't snugged down properly. I view both as necessary.
pat

I have a wide mouth nalgene bottle in my truck that has been froze solid many times and is still going strong.

Mckinnon

WKR
I really enjoy having a bladder for drinking while packing, but I always have a bottle (usually nalgene) in my pack as well. I usually use the nalgene for using things like gatorade powder, and emergen-c, or whatever powder I bring to keep my bladder clean from that stuff.

I too carry a bladder for water while packing, but I always have a Klean canteen in my pack as well. I like to use the canteen for powder drinks and hot tea. You can even use it as a sleeping bag warmer. I like that I can throw it on a stove/fire if I want/need something warm/hot. It is a little extra weight, but it can be considered a survival item?

unm1136

WKR
I have a wide mouth nalgene bottle in my truck that has been froze solid many times and is still going strong.

I used to intentionally freeze 2 nalgenes daily, 1/2 to 3/4 full with the lid off. My favorite one broke open after about 6 months. My least favorite one is still going strong, but if you are not really vigilant about closing it up it will leak. I mean close, tighten, snug, test, repeat as necessary. I have been happier with the gatorade bottles (have to go through a lot of them before you will find one that will reliably reseal) and also like the mass bottled water bottles. By the way, if I recall correctly the KU water bottle pocket was designed around the gatorade bottle which is supposed to be the light weight standard.

The thing that irritates me about nalgenes is the inconsistency between those that last and those that don't. It is almost like certain die lots or manufacturer's plants produce produce brittle bottles, while others are tough and handle my abuse no problem.

pat

Last edited:
i run a 3liter camelback bladder thats had a duct tape patch on it for about 6mo. still going.
i keep an empty gatordade bottle that i measured water levels to the oz, and drew the lines on there with a sharpy for cooking and in case that bladder ever fails.
if i dont use a bladder i dont drink enough...

6x6

FNG
I use the Platy bladders. I have had both, and prefer the Platy. Mine has a cap, or a spout attachment, and it also has liquid measure lines. I have used mine before as a heater in my bag with no issues. They are lighter, pack smaller, and I believe, are just as "effective" as bottles. Just my opinion.

B

bearguide

i have tried a lot of different water containers, and i use the cheap plastic water bottles, because they are light, disposable,and cheap

MattB

WKR
I use 2 3 L. Platypus big zip with the second bladder for added capacity or just in case. Bottles are better in cold weather but lack a number of the benefits of a bladder (ease of drinking, capacity, lack of slosh, inability to compress).

IZZY

FNG
Water bladder all day long...if you are having problems with your water tube freezing, get a hand warmer (the pouch things with the iron stuff inside) duct tape it around your tube...used this system in Afghanistan and you get warm water on a cold day...water bottles are too bulky, and if you get a good sized bladder, you will need multiple bottles to give you the same convenience...bladder bladder bladder...they only leak if you don't take care of them....if you don't take care of your gear it will not work when you need it to...