Water filter recommendations?

ChrisAU

WKR
Maybe I missed it, but I don't even see a mention of the BeFree bottles/systems. We switched to those and have not looked back as they are easy and inexpensive. Before that a Katadyn Hiker Pro,with hook up to fill bladder while bladder in pack. These days carrying smaller 2l bladder, extra 2l Platypus, and a Powerade bottle to mix drinks.

This. A BeFree filter and 2 CNOC 3L bags weighs about 7.5 oz. So much faster than Sawyer Minis.

norcalkh

FNG
I use a Sawyer Mini and an MSR Miniworks. I prefer the MSR for higher volume, and if I know water supply is good. I like the sawyer for low flow springs/ creeks over the MSR, water collection is easier. Both are super simple to maintain.

Alot of good info on here already but ill throw my 2 cents in.

I run 2L platypus bags. 1 clean and 2 dirty. and a normal or "large" size sawyer sqeeze with a small hose, threads right on.

I then have some pre cut pieces of paracord so i can hang the dirty bag with the filter attatched from a limb, then the clean bag below it. takes a couple minutes but the filter does gravity feed pretty well.

If i have the time or need water bad, ill sit and have a snack and filter some water. if im in a hurry i just fill one or two dirty bags so i can gravity feed later.

i have too much experience blowing out the sawyer bags after sqeezing them. always right at the seam by the cap. the platy bags are much more tough, and if you only gravity feed them they should last a couple seasons.

After camp this year I am sold on the platypus gravity works system. It holds and filters a lot of water per fill and breaks down to nothing when not in use. We had 2 Sawyer squeeze systems and they just don’t work as seamlessly. I left wanting to clone the platypus system with my Sawyer.

mod7rem

FNG
I’ve been using an MSR Hyperflow for over 10 years and it has worked well. This year we used a platypus 2 liter gravity on our sheep hunt and it worked great. It easily filtered water just as fast as my Hyperflow, but without the exercise.
Then we went caribou hinting and used a 10 liter gravity for 4 guys and it worked good. I prefer the gravity over the Hyperflow.
Ive found that my Hyperflow will plug up quickly in water with any sort of silt or even color. I had to filter out of a source that was dark colored from vegetation, tannins possibly???? No particles that I could see, just color(tea colored), and it plugged very quick.
Not sure how the gravity system will handle the same conditions.

Last edited:

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
Some things I've learned about water filters out in the field:

With gravity filters, be sure to have a means to pressure back-flush if a gravity back-flush isn't enough. A small plastic syringe can work, so can a a pump filter borrowed from someone else. this isn't usually a problem until it is, then you'll want to replace your filter element before next time.

The Sweetwater Siltstopper (now owned by MSR) prefilter can prolong the life of any hose-based filtration system, and can really help in turbid water sources.

Similarly, the Sweetwater intake screen is an upgrade for any pump-type filter.

Anyone who recommends the MSR Miniworks hasn't used any other type of pump filter. If you're considering a pump filter, do yourself a favor and only consider a double-acting pump.

Choose a filter that threads onto your water bottles, and vice versa.

Water bottle-based personal filters require you to create the pressure necessary for filtration. You have to work for every sip. This bothers some more than others.

Boiling is always a reliable option (I'm shocked no one has mentioned that yet). By the time water reaches a boil, it's spent enough time over 160°F to kill anything you're concerned about. Just be sure to get most particles out first.

Phaseolus

WKR
I wish I could find the sweetwater siltstopper, I don’t think they make them anymore, I have just two left.

Edit: yup, discontinued.

BBob

WKR
I wish I could find the sweetwater siltstopper, I don’t think they make them anymore, I have just two left.

Edit: yup, discontinued.
Discontinued or just not available right now? Do you have confirmation of the discontinued? MSR when out of stock on any product shows the not available message all the time.

EDIT: Nope, you're correct they are gone. I called support and they said they are not bringing them back. They can't remove them off the website right now until they can do a website update but that's in the works.

Last edited:

Phaseolus

WKR
Discontinued or just not available right now? Do you have confirmation of the discontinued? MSR when out of stock on any product shows the not available message all the time.

EDIT: Nope, you're correct they are gone. I called support and they said they are not bringing them back. They can't remove them off the website right now until they can do a website update but that's in the works.
It sucks because they were a great product that extended a filters life.

BBob

WKR
Yup, I have two spares left. They won’t have the main filters back either so my 25 ish year old filter will be dead when it clogs. Guess I got my money’s worth.

I always use a pump. If it's cold I keep it warm. Don't use the Steripen anymore. Batteries can go bad and not worth the chance. I did buy some of the Sawyer in line filters that you can screw onto a smart water bottle for archery season and hve not had a problem yet!

gelton

WKR
I hate filling up with water for the simple fact that you have to drop down to do it and in that sense I am lazy. 3L BeFree + 5 Liter MSR Dromedary + 3L Camelback + Nalgene guarantees that I don't have to refill often.

andrewjp

FNG
Sawyer is a good choice. I've been using it for about 2 years when traveling to the wilderness, the water is clean and delicious, it's super convenient. As long as you rinse the filter at the end of the day, do not leave it for too long without cleaning as they can become clogged. The flow rate is fine.

Steripen ultra if the water isn't stagnant and if its gonna be at or below freezing. All your standard filters can freeze and break if you aren't careful. Gravity filter is nice but i found them to be slow if you're on the move. I much prefer the steripen if im backpacking and it kills everything. Ive heard they're better than the filters. Just don't get any of them except for the steripen classic or ultra, heard the tiny ones can fail

Another vote for the saywer system and have been taking two 32 ounce reservoirs on the few backpacking trips I went on last year. Seems pretty hard to beat. My kit has the syringe that I’ve used to fill the bag with when I couldn’t dip the bag.

*zap*

WKR
So, 2 is 1 plus some iodine tablets = 3. H2O is necessary, I have seen umpteen videos of people drinking right from a flowing stream and saying how clean the water is.....hopefully a moose was not taking a dump into that stream 100 yards upstream...filter or boil all drinking water you did not bring with you.