Water filter recommendations?

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Well how convenient, I was just wondering the samething as I want a 4th option for water filtration so depending on the trip/weather I can pick and choose.

Right now I am rocking the steripen classic (wanted non rechargeable) works amazing, use the prefilter that comes with it (water source depending). The second is an MSR trail shot, great little cargo pant rig, just make sure you close the cap on the drinking end or you can/will get cross contamination with the hose touching the end. I'd suggest pumping it a few times and letting the filtered water run down the mouthpiece to help clean it off a nit. My third is the aquamarine drops, those are pretty much a staple with me at all times.

My fourth option I am looking at is probably going to be the MSR guardian, that sucker is bomb proof from what I have seen and heard form friends. Granted it is way overkill and pricey and probably too heavy. That being said I can drop pounds off me easier then shaving weight from the kit, and it is cheaper in the long run and healthier.

I am looking for other options though and not stuck on the guardian, so I will be watching this thread eagerly. Regardless anything that needs to be pumped or gravity fed through a filter is no good here in Canada after October. or the filters freeze and well your pooched for water filtration.

I use a steripen or an MSR trailshot for solo trips. A platypus gravity filter for 2 or more. The gravity filters are the way to go for groups in non freezing weather. Just gather the water and hang while you set up camp.

whatever you use protect it from freezing. Ice will crack filter elements And clog hoses. Then you are hauling around a block of ice that may or may not work when it thaws.

I also keep a bottle of iodine tabs in my kit in case my filter goes down.

lastly, don’t be afraid to profiler nasty water through a shirt or bandana. It can help speed up you process.

Well how convenient, I was just wondering the samething as I want a 4th option for water filtration so depending on the trip/weather I can pick and choose.

Right now I am rocking the steripen classic (wanted non rechargeable) works amazing, use the prefilter that comes with it (water source depending). The second is an MSR trail shot, great little cargo pant rig, just make sure you close the cap on the drinking end or you can/will get cross contamination with the hose touching the end. I'd suggest pumping it a few times and letting the filtered water run down the mouthpiece to help clean it off a nit. My third is the aquamarine drops, those are pretty much a staple with me at all times.

My fourth option I am looking at is probably going to be the MSR guardian, that sucker is bomb proof from what I have seen and heard form friends. Granted it is way overkill and pricey and probably too heavy. That being said I can drop pounds off me easier then shaving weight from the kit, and it is cheaper in the long run and healthier.

I am looking for other options though and not stuck on the guardian, so I will be watching this thread eagerly. Regardless anything that needs to be pumped or gravity fed through a filter is no good here in Canada after October. or the filters freeze and well your pooched for water filtration.

So the guy I was talking to at Barney’s and a few others have said just sleep with your filter. It will keep it fro freezing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife and I were just this morning discussing that no one has developed a perfect water filter for all conditions.
Sawyer filters work great as long as you can fill the bag from your water source, and you're not dealing with much grit.

Gravity filters are golden for large groups or when you'll be spending a good amount of time sitting still (glassing, in camp, etc). There are many good options on the market.

Pump filters with a pre-filter screen (I have an MSR Hyperflow, it's excellent) are hands down the best option for filtering out of a silty hole in the ground - which might be the only water you can find for miles.

Steripens are ideal for subfreezing temps, as mentioned.

Long story short, you'll do just fine with any of the Sawyers or really any of the common options on the market. You'll learn your preferences and the shortcomings of each filter type as you go.

Have fun!

OP
S
Thanks for the responses. I order a sawyer squeeze. I think it will work fine for my needs of this trip.

lvtuna

FNG
Sawyer Squeeze mini here. I do a lot of canyoneering. Suck up some nasty water with the syringe in the canyons. Has not failed yet. Last use was in Moab. Not much water available. Backpacking where a stream is available is flawless. When I get home I back flush and ready to go again. The package I purchased had two filters. One for a backup. Enjoy your Sawyer Squeeze.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
So the guy I was talking to at Barney’s and a few others have said just sleep with your filter. It will keep it fro freezing

Well speaking from experience and camping in sub freezing temps(Usually -20 to -30 celsius is my threshold for winter), I have yet to have one not freeze on me in the winter even when next to my body, but yeah fall temps and slightly below zero, i think this would work, but i am willing to try it again though as i am planning some week long winter trips here in Alberta/BC this year, especially if the Can/US border is going to be closed, which all signs are pointing to yes.

Well speaking from experience and camping in sub freezing temps(Usually -20 to -30 celsius is my threshold for winter), I have yet to have one not freeze on me in the winter even when next to my body, but yeah fall temps and slightly below zero, i think this would work, but i am willing to try it again though as i am planning some week long winter trips here in Alberta/BC this year, especially if the Can/US border is going to be closed, which all signs are pointing to yes.

Dang! That is surprising to me. But i understand your experience. I was just passing on the information I have been presented with.

I got a gravity unit but I shouldn’t be much below freezing.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Dang! That is surprising to me. But i understand your experience. I was just passing on the information I have been presented with.

I got a gravity unit but I shouldn’t be much below freezing.

No worries mate, I'm hoping to try it again on some older ones this year. I tend to sleep with a bigger sleeping bag, so it probably shifted and was in a cold spot in the bag. regardless the few times i tried them they all froze and I was not willing to try it anymore as replacing the filters got darn pricey.

Supposedly the guardian is bomb proof as it was built for the military or so I was told and i was also told it could handle freezing as it was a different type of filter cartridge? I am not sure though, so don't quote me on that. What I do know is that filter cartridge to replace is half the cost of the pump.

That one is interesting too.
There are lots of good options.

I’m just paranoid about all the gear I’ve bought for this, my first, sheep hunt!

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
That one is interesting too.
There are lots of good options.

I’m just paranoid about all the gear I’ve bought for this, my first, sheep hunt!

Jealous on the Sheep hunt, best of luck and report back on the outcome/pics.

What gear did you buy/get, maybe send me a pm on that so we are not taking away from this thread.

sasquatch

WKR
you will use a lot more water than you think. However for spiking out, sawyer squeeze. carry at least 2 per person

i use the katadyn hiker pro filter. hooks up to your bottle and fills with hand pump. weighs about a pound and i have used it for 12 years. just replaced filter for first time. durable product that is reasonable in price, weight, performance. I have thought this is one place i could shave some weight but i love the peace of mind it gives.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Another option might be the lifer saver brand of water bottles. They have a new liberty one that acts as both a water bottle and a pump for filling other bottles.

Not sure.on the ruggedness but I know they work fairly well.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Depending on your water source, a Sawyer Squeeze is insanely efficient and easy to use. I fill a 2L Platypus collapsible bottle, thread the Sawyer Squeeze onto the tip, and squeeze...

You can drink straight from the Sawyer Squeeze if you want. Personally, I modified their "inline adaptor" accessory, attaching it to a quick connect. I can then quick connect right into my bladder at a point in the tube outside my pack and fill it without ever having to remove the bladder itself. Depending on your pack setup, that can be extremely useful and efficient, but certainly not impossible with other filters as well.

I carry an extra 2L collapsible Platypus. Including my bladder, I can carry *six* liters in total.

Finally, a collapsible 2L Platypus can be rigged as a backup bladder itself in a pinch.

FWIW, I did some side-by-side testing this weekend (sawyer mini vs MSR trailshot) and from now on my standard will be a Sawyer mini in gravity filter configuration - I got a platypus 4L "dirty" bladder and can either let it drip as a gravity filter, or squeeze the 4L bladder and filter quick if I need to. It's pretty sweet.

The Sawyer mini filters with gravity almost as fast as I can squeese my (1 year old) MSR trailshot).

Maybe I missed it, but I don't even see a mention of the BeFree bottles/systems. We switched to those and have not looked back as they are easy and inexpensive. Before that a Katadyn Hiker Pro,with hook up to fill bladder while bladder in pack. These days carrying smaller 2l bladder, extra 2l Platypus, and a Powerade bottle to mix drinks.

FS38

FNG
I was out last week for a few nights running inline filter rigged to reservoir trying to let gravity work, it did but was too slow! I just ordered the rapid pure gravity purifier. Maybe a little heavy, but looks like it may be the easiest thing out there? I take a steri-pen for backup.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Sawyer squeeze and the mini (4L platypus gravity system for base camp). If you’re on the go I would recommend the Sawyer squeeze with the CNOC 3L for your dirty water. It has a better flow rate than the mini. I hacked a quick connect to the source bladder system. With a piece of paracord on the CNOC you can use the Sawyer as a gravity system during breaks to fill you pack through the drink tube. As others have said, toss the Sawyer in a double zip lock and put it in the foot box of your sleeping bag when temps get below freezing. Good luck on your hunt!

gexpro

WKR
I have used a katadyn 3L bladder + gravity filter with good luck during the early season, however when temps dropped below freezing it froze and became useless. I now bring a steripen for all of my filtering. finding a source of flowing is not hard to locate where I typically hunt.