Water Filter

Starting to get into backcountry elk hunting and looking for input on a water filter. Heard a lot of good things about the sawyer mini and katadyn be free. Any recommendations?

Northpark

WKR
Mini is a great weight saver. I used one for years. More recently I switched over to a platypus gravity feed and it is really nice adds about 5-6 oz over the mini but we used in extensively in my NV mule deer hunt last month and it was awesome. I now carry the mini on day hunts and the platypus on backpack hunts.

andrewjp

FNG
Sawyer is a good choice. Super convenient, I usually carry it with me for short trips. Very good filtration, clean and delicious water.

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on temps. Filters will break up inside, unbeknownst to you, if they freeze and will no longer effectively filter your water. If you intend to get into heavy freeze situations, get one of the UV treatment setups like a Steripen. I have the 4L Steripen setup for our October elk hunts and a Sawyer mini inline on my camebak for warm weather trips.

Usi05

WKR
I went from steripen to sawyer mini and found the process to be a chore with mini. Will likely try full size version or something else this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk